The Student Room Group

Edexcel B1: Classification topic

Hello I'm revising classification since it's one of the topics, I think, that will be on the exam.

My question is: will they expect us to know the family / genus of an animal? Surely not right? - as that would be rather difficult to do.

For example, a cat:
The family is Felidae
The genus is Felis
Species name is F. Catus (though that is easy to do, if the exam already provides you with the family and genus)

or will that be provided for me, so I can work out the binomial name (which is the genus + the species name) = Felis Catus.
Original post by aesking
Hello I'm revising classification since it's one of the topics, I think, that will be on the exam.

My question is: will they expect us to know the family / genus of an animal? Surely not right? - as that would be rather difficult to do.

For example, a cat:
The family is Felidae
The genus is Felis
Species name is F. Catus (though that is easy to do, if the exam already provides you with the family and genus)

or will that be provided for me, so I can work out the binomial name (which is the genus + the species name) = Felis Catus.

I don't think you have to memorize any animal's genus or species apart from homo sapiens (which is us) however they might give you a question where they will give you genus and species of an animal and ask you which one is genus and which one is species.so just learn that animals have binomial named which is based upon their genus and species.Hope I answered you question.
Reply 2
Original post by silviaaminul
I don't think you have to memorize any animal's genus or species apart from homo sapiens (which is us) however they might give you a question where they will give you genus and species of an animal and ask you which one is genus and which one is species.so just learn that animals have binomial named which is based upon their genus and species.Hope I answered you question.

Thanks! I've been doing past papers and using revision books, but there's so much to learn and you can never know what will come up :frown:
Original post by aesking

For example, a cat:
The family is Felidae
The genus is Felis

Sorry, but what is the grade that you are aiming for??
Reply 4
Sorry, but what is the grade that you are aiming for??

I aiming for an A*, but I'm happy with an A.
one more question what exam board
Reply 6
one more question what exam board

Edexcel.
[QUOTE=aesking;
i think these are the ones that are most likely to come up
1. Interdependence
2. Diabetes
3. Phototropism
4. Homeostasis and Sensitivity
5. Drugs and ethics
6. The Nitrogen Cycle
[QUOTE=aesking;
i think these are the ones that are most likely to come up
1. Interdependence
2. Diabetes
3. Phototropism
4. Homeostasis and Sensitivity
5. Drugs and ethics
6. The Nitrogen Cycle

Hello, how do you know these topics are most likely to come up? Is there a pattern over the years?
[QUOTE="x_geniya_jery_x;64800591"]

Hello, how do you know these topics are most likely to come up? Is there a pattern over the years?

Nope I just thought that these are the common topics throughout every past paper so yeh...:biggrin: I mean at least one of these topics will come up in the exam

Quick Reply