The Student Room Group

Landlord's kids are RUDE - what to do?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
Because you are living with the owner who has the power to terminate your tenancy when they want.

Do you mean the rolling contract? It's just reasonable notice for a lodger agreement, so around a month's notice as I pay the rent monthly. I also have the right :yep:
Original post by TSRiann
That sounds bad :s-smilie: Yeah the landlord and his wife are polite to my face but sometimes they'll talk to me and then turn and talk to their kids in a totally different tone of voice in their language and I can see "looks" going on? I'm not sure if they are saying stuff behind my back.

Have you looked for a new place? Hope that improves. Yeah it would be more convenient to stay here but it is really bothering me. Especially thinking they could be going into my room when I am out. I can't lock away all my things and TBH that is really bad behaviour.

I do have spare cash but one of the things I liked about here is the rolling contract. I might try talking to them first.

Nah they shouldn't be ****ing going in your room, how is your building set up? The 1st time I lived in a semi, and we were separated by a door and they banged on it for no reason, probably were encouraged to constantly keep doing it...

Now in a different residence, I'm upstairs, another family downstairs, formerly their son, and the landlords live miles away in some nice fancy area and come by periodically to get the rent, as I have month to month. There were couple times they just came in and it would be ****ed if they lived nearby but ONLY because they don't I don't worry about them coming in. However they still have and that is wrong and when I lived with my mum here when I was dependant under her she asked them not to do that anymore, but they tried it again after she moved out, apparently I was sleeping because the wife landlord said I was sleeping when she came by...how would she know I was sleeping????

Anyway yea that's gotta be illegal like you have rights. If it gets bad enough...you know...council can step in...you have periodic tenancy? If so you can just...leave lol
Reply 22
Original post by Platopus
What revolting children! You should not have to put up with that. Speak to their parents and if that doesn't work, I would seriously consider moving out.

Yeah I'm speaking to them tomorrow. As I said in the OP though, I'm honestly not sure if the parents are genuinely OK with me, or they're just being nice to my face because they need the cash. I genuinely get a hostile vibe sometimes :lolwut:

Suggestions on how to approach them anyway? I am looking at other places too.
Original post by TSRiann
Yeah I'm speaking to them tomorrow. As I said in the OP though, I'm honestly not sure if the parents are genuinely OK with me, or they're just being nice to my face because they need the cash. I genuinely get a hostile vibe sometimes :lolwut:

Don't bell em up, knock on the door either first thing in the morning before everyone's out or at night when everyone's in

Then just tell them calmly but sternly, look them in their eyes, tell them what's going on
keep in mind it's their children so they might react however
I wouldn't do it until you've found a place though first with the money to go honestly if it gets ugly or worse...:\
but definitely be calm and stern

**** pisses me off when they act like they own YOU because they own the PLACE **** that there's gotta be a way to get them to suffer consequences instead of just moving out even though I encourage moving out soon if it doesn't get better...nothing beats a try but a faliure so speak to them about their hooligan children once. Keep saving though especially if it doesn't work then just ****ing leave and let them cry about getting new tenants and meantime not getting money
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by 0to100
Nah they shouldn't be ****ing going in your room, how is your building set up? The 1st time I lived in a semi, and we were separated by a door and they banged on it for no reason, probably were encouraged to constantly keep doing it...

Now in a different residence, I'm upstairs, another family downstairs, formerly their son, and the landlords live miles away in some nice fancy area and come by periodically to get the rent, as I have month to month. There were couple times they just came in and it would be ****ed if they lived nearby but ONLY because they don't I don't worry about them coming in. However they still have and that is wrong and when I lived with my mum here when I was dependant under her she asked them not to do that anymore, but they tried it again after she moved out, apparently I was sleeping because the wife landlord said I was sleeping when she came by...how would she know I was sleeping????

Anyway yea that's gotta be illegal like you have rights. If it gets bad enough...you know...council can step in...you have periodic tenancy? If so you can just...leave lol

I literally just rent a room in their house. It doesn't have a bolt or key or anything :dontknow: The doorknob is really flimsy so I don't know if this caused it, but, for the first few weeks, the kids were somehow running around the balcony and bumping into it so much it kept opening :lolwut: Genuinely not sure if they were doing it to bother me.

Wtf lol. It is illegal for them to come in like that. Have you confronted them about it again? I'd lock all your important things away :yep:

Can't remember if I mentioned it but my landlord came by with a letter of mine from the Council from my old place, which he said he hadn't opened but so obviously had been (the glue on the envelope was all peeled off). Fortunately it wasn't anything private but I didnt know what to say. He might not have known it because he's not English but isnt that illegal?

Yeah it's a rolling contract :biggrin:. I can leave within the month, although
Original post by TSRiann
Do you mean the rolling contract? It's just reasonable notice for a lodger agreement, so around a month's notice as I pay the rent monthly. I also have the right :yep:

You missed the point. If you cnat see the difference between luving with the LL than living with other flatmates, then I give in.
Reply 26
Original post by 999tigger
You missed the point. If you cnat see the difference between luving with the LL than living with other flatmates, then I give in.

Cba with a pointless argument :eyebrow:. I thought you meant different to renting a place from him that isn't his own house and where I'm not a lodger (as I did before this):. Yeah, it is different to a usual flatmate disagreement obviously. I'll see what they say tomorrow though.
Reply 27
Original post by 0to100
Don't bell em up, knock on the door either first thing in the morning before everyone's out or at night when everyone's in

Then just tell them calmly but sternly, look them in their eyes, tell them what's going on
keep in mind it's their children so they might react however
I wouldn't do it until you've found a place though first with the money to go honestly if it gets ugly or worse...:\
but definitely be calm and stern

**** pisses me off when they act like they own YOU because they own the PLACE **** that there's gotta be a way to get them to suffer consequences instead of just moving out even though I encourage moving out soon if it doesn't get better...nothing beats a try but a faliure so speak to them about their hooligan children once. Keep saving though especially if it doesn't work then just ****ing leave and let them cry about getting new tenants and meantime not getting money

I'm in the same house actually so no separate living quarters or anything.

I do have the money where I could move at the end of the month but it would be a bit of a stretch. I can't ask family or anything too so I have to be kinda careful.

Yeah, I can (completely) afford to move by the end of July at the latest. That's not too bad but I would rather their kids sorted out the behaviour. And yeah I'm pretty angry. He has rented to other people before and complained to me about them trashing the place, etc. and I have been the total opposite.
Original post by TSRiann
I literally just rent a room in their house. It doesn't have a bolt or key or anything :dontknow: The doorknob is really flimsy so I don't know if this caused it, but, for the first few weeks, the kids were somehow running around the balcony and bumping into it so much it kept opening :lolwut: Genuinely not sure if they were doing it to bother me.

Wtf lol. It is illegal for them to come in like that. Have you confronted them about it again? I'd lock all your important things away :yep:

Can't remember if I mentioned it but my landlord came by with a letter of mine from the Council from my old place, which he said he hadn't opened but so obviously had been (the glue on the envelope was all peeled off). Fortunately it wasn't anything private but I didnt know what to say. He might not have known it because he's not English but isnt that illegal?

Yeah it's a rolling contract :biggrin:. I can leave within the month, although

Ahhh renting a ROOM that is...eugh no offense haha that's...no gewd lass.

Ah well I don't share a room so presumably locking away my whole damn flat should do the trick but all my **** is important (not having a go at you) and they shouldn't be coming in. If you step to em about it they;ll just be like leave, I know these people. Smh. Ima full time student on JSA and stayed on my mum's now expired short term contact and now live on rolling contract so I gotta deal with it till I can afford somewhere else without relying on council housing.

Lmao my current neighbours opened a check my Uni gave me smh I mean it quite clearly said my Uni's name and the fat bitch says to my mum when she was here, "I didn't think it was important." I wasn't home when this happened, my mum sia dit was the neighbour but it coulda been my mum too so! If I knew it was her, if I were home and the neighbour said she opened it because it looked "unimportant" I would've been kicked out and arrested for knokcing her down the stairs!

Anyway. And where are your landlords ****ing from...?
Also...I mean...Idk any place where it's ok to touch other people's ****
You need to let them know plainly that their kids are being disrespectful, and just because I rent to you it doesn't mean I can be treated any kinda way. I realise my advice may or may not even if you don't take it could influence your thinking and create outcomes for you that might not have happened if I kept quiet but this is wrong
Original post by TSRiann
I'm in the same house actually so no separate living quarters or anything.

I do have the money where I could move at the end of the month but it would be a bit of a stretch. I can't ask family or anything too so I have to be kinda careful.

Yeah, I can (completely) afford to move by the end of July at the latest. That's not too bad but I would rather their kids sorted out the behaviour. And yeah I'm pretty angry. He has rented to other people before and complained to me about them trashing the place, etc. and I have been the total opposite.

I hate when landlords gossip! I'ma tell you something now, if they're gossiping to you about others, they gossiping about you as well! Ignore em and act busy when they start chatting **** about others, they do that to get information from you about other neighbours if share with other tenants and not the landlord! Smh. Like my neighbours now right ****ing Keisha or Kenya or whoever the hell she is, keeps mouthing off about me to them, so now the landlords attitude towards me has changed. They're nasty. I don't like that my landlords think if they knock we gotta answer...I'd hear the husband go, "And nobody's home. No one at all," in this sarcastic way. Yep, no one at all :wink: And my neighbours stupid daughter would say, "I dont wanna act like I don't hear the phone when you call or the bell so I come out." Well good for you rose petal! :rolleyes:
Original post by TSRiann

Hmm that's difficult. I'd be polite but frank with them. Tell them that you are looking at other places. If they like you, they will be horrified to learn that their children have pushed you to those lengths. If they don't like you and are just being polite for the cash, they will be horrified at the possibility of that source of income drying up. Either way, it should help. Good luck.
Reply 31
Original post by 0to100
Ahhh renting a ROOM that is...eugh no offense haha that's...no gewd lass.

Ah well I don't share a room so presumably locking away my whole damn flat should do the trick but all my **** is important (not having a go at you) and they shouldn't be coming in. If you step to em about it they;ll just be like leave, I know these people. Smh. Ima full time student on JSA and stayed on my mum's now expired short term contact and now live on rolling contract so I gotta deal with it till I can afford somewhere else without relying on council housing.

Lmao my current neighbours opened a check my Uni gave me smh I mean it quite clearly said my Uni's name and the fat bitch says to my mum when she was here, "I didn't think it was important." I wasn't home when this happened, my mum sia dit was the neighbour but it coulda been my mum too so! If I knew it was her, if I were home and the neighbour said she opened it because it looked "unimportant" I would've been kicked out and arrested for knokcing her down the stairs!

Anyway. And where are your landlords ****ing from...?
Also...I mean...Idk any place where it's ok to touch other people's ****
You need to let them know plainly that their kids are being disrespectful, and just because I rent to you it doesn't mean I can be treated any kinda way. I realise my advice may or may not even if you don't take it could influence your thinking and create outcomes for you that might not have happened if I kept quiet but this is wrong

Yeah lol. None taken :P

That's what I'm worried about. Like I said I could leave within a few weeks and by the end of the month, I'd just rather not. (I also have a lot of important letters sent here sometimes, and I don't trust the landlord to pass them onto me/not read them TBH :s-smilie:)

I just looked it up, apparently reading someone else's mail is illegal. Not to mention really weird, imagine if it had been cash!

They're from China which is obviously a big cultural difference so I thought that explained their kids being quiet and not saying hi back to me and stuff at the start. But then they won't even communicate when I ask basic stuff like, do you want to use the bathroom ahead of me, or why are you banging on the bathroom door, and just act in that weird way? TBH I am not sure if the parents encourage it or at least talk about me which gives them the idea it's OK behind my back?

Lol that's OK. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not at the start b/c I've been really stressed with work and the landlord and his wife are usually nice to my face anyway. But I think you have a point if Im being honest with myself.

I hate when landlords gossip! I'ma tell you something now, if they're gossiping to you about others, they gossiping about you as well! Ignore em and act busy when they start chatting **** about others, they do that to get information from you about other neighbours if share with other tenants and not the landlord! Smh. Like my neighbours now right ****ing Keisha or Kenya or whoever the hell she is, keeps mouthing off about me to them, so now the landlords attitude towards me has changed. They're nasty. I don't like that my landlords think if they knock we gotta answer...I'd hear the husband go, "And nobody's home. No one at all," in this sarcastic way. Yep, no one at all And my neighbours stupid daughter would say, "I dont wanna act like I don't hear the phone when you call or the bell so I come out." Well good for you rose petal!

TBF they haven't done that that often but I did think it's a bit rich to be complaining about the previous tenant (who did actually vandalise something) and then (if they are) gossip about me who's literally keeping an eye on their kids and helping them write letters and stuff!

Your neighbours sound nasty. Why do they dislike you? :lolwut: Some people are so petty smh :facepalm:
Reply 32
Original post by Platopus
Hmm that's difficult. I'd be polite but frank with them. Tell them that you are looking at other places. If they like you, they will be horrified to learn that their children have pushed you to those lengths. If they don't like you and are just being polite for the cash, they will be horrified at the possibility of that source of income drying up. Either way, it should help. Good luck.

Great advice, thank you :smile:. Yeah, that's true lol, either way it should make a difference. I will post an update.
Original post by TSRiann
Yeah lol. None taken :P

That's what I'm worried about. Like I said I could leave within a few weeks and by the end of the month, I'd just rather not. (I also have a lot of important letters sent here sometimes, and I don't trust the landlord to pass them onto me/not read them TBH :s-smilie:)

I just looked it up, apparently reading someone else's mail is illegal. Not to mention really weird, imagine if it had been cash!

They're from China which is obviously a big cultural difference so I thought that explained their kids being quiet and not saying hi back to me and stuff at the start. But then they won't even communicate when I ask basic stuff like, do you want to use the bathroom ahead of me, or why are you banging on the bathroom door, and just act in that weird way? TBH I am not sure if the parents encourage it or at least talk about me which gives them the idea it's OK behind my back?

Lol that's OK. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not at the start b/c I've been really stressed with work and the landlord and his wife are usually nice to my face anyway. But I think you have a point if Im being honest with myself.

TBF they haven't done that that often but I did think it's a bit rich to be complaining about the previous tenant (who did actually vandalise something) and then (if they are) gossip about me who's literally keeping an eye on their kids and helping them write letters and stuff!

Your neighbours sound nasty. Why do they dislike you? :lolwut: Some people are so petty smh :facepalm:

My neighbours didn't like my mum at 1st; Keisha, Kenya Idk and my mum are quite similar, similar age range, same body mass, lots of kids, except my mum is on her own and they have a man in the house, as they're a married couple downstairs so Idk, probably just female bitchiness. I have small kids in my family and I suppose their playing is annoying but they need to get over it, we're not gonna tip toe but we're not doing it on purpose either. Now I think "Keisha" is just carrying on not liking me since I'm much less civil about disagreements than my mum tbh but that's always me in defense of their stupidness or disrespect and telling my mum to stand up for herself and they probably overheard it.

Yea well anyway just chat to them calmly but not timidly, see what happens, and put up till you can leave, good luck lass
Original post by TSRiann
Great advice, thank you :smile:. Yeah, that's true lol, either way it should make a difference. I will post an update.

Tag me in your update please. I am genuinely rooting for you - there's nothing I hate more than rudeness. Hope it works out.
I'm coming into the thread late & haven't followed all the other comments, so apologies if you've already covered my points and queries.

Have you tried winning the kids over and discussing things with them?

Can you have a honest, but respectful, discussion with the parents, maybe with kids present, and agree on some 'ground rules' for living together?

Do you have a 'plan B' -ie another place, even temporarily, to go to- if it all goes south?

What is your primary goal here? To stay there for 3 or 6 months till you save enough cash etc? Or to improve the quality of your living conditions now? If it's the former then you may have to tolerate more discomfort, preferably without resentment.

Good luck.
Reply 36
Original post by 0to100
My neighbours didn't like my mum at 1st; Keisha, Kenya Idk and my mum are quite similar, similar age range, same body mass, lots of kids, except my mum is on her own and they have a man in the house, as they're a married couple downstairs so Idk, probably just female bitchiness. I have small kids in my family and I suppose their playing is annoying but they need to get over it, we're not gonna tip toe but we're not doing it on purpose either. Now I think "Keisha" is just carrying on not liking me since I'm much less civil about disagreements than my mum tbh but that's always me in defense of their stupidness or disrespect and telling my mum to stand up for herself and they probably overheard it.

Yea well anyway just chat to them calmly but not timidly, see what happens, and put up till you can leave, good luck lass

Sounds like some bitchiness is going on. I think kids are OK so long as they're not really rude like the ones I'm living with. It's good that you're telling your mum to stand up for herself.

Thanks again :smile: Good luck with your situation too

@Platopus I certainly will! Thanks for the support :smile:

Davide_online
I'm coming into the thread late & haven't followed all the other comments, so apologies if you've already covered my points and queries.

Have you tried winning the kids over and discussing things with them?

Can you have a honest, but respectful, discussion with the parents, maybe with kids present, and agree on some 'ground rules' for living together?

Do you have a 'plan B' -ie another place, even temporarily, to go to- if it all goes south?

What is your primary goal here? To stay there for 3 or 6 months till you save enough cash etc? Or to improve the quality of your living conditions now? If it's the former then you may have to tolerate more discomfort, preferably without resentment.

Good luck.

Thanks :smile: No you brought up some stuff I hadn't though about so much.

As I said in the OP, they don't really talk to me (to the point of not even replying when I ask if they want to use the bathroom first, or not saying Thank you when I give their mum an easter egg for them right in front of them). It's really weird how passive aggressive they are (doing stuff like bang on the bathroom door and talk behind my back, then go quiet and hide in their rooms when I come out). I could understand maybe if I was some scary bloke but I'm a tiny smiley girl lol.

I might do this, they're a pretty casual laidback family from what I can see though so idk if suggesting that we both have "rules" would go down well. Maybe I'm doing something that irritates them but I honestly can't see what unless it's a cultural difference

Yes, but it's really not a great option, so I'd rather not. :redface:

That's a very good point. I would have wanted to stay here or at least in the area over the summer as I'm saving for something important :s-smilie:

Do you think speaking to the parents would cause resentment?
Reply 37
Original post by TSRiann

How often you pay rent makes no difference. Reasonable Notice has been touted as little as 24 hours on other forums I've seen. I'd not bank on anything more than a week unless you have a written agreement saying otherwise.
Reply 38
Original post by Reue
How often you pay rent makes no difference. Reasonable Notice has been touted as little as 24 hours on other forums I've seen. I'd not bank on anything more than a week unless you have a written agreement saying otherwise.

We have a lodger's agreement, signed and everything (I have a copy). It says a month on there, though I thought the general rule was reasonable notice?
Reply 39
Original post by TSRiann
We have a lodger's agreement, signed and everything (I have a copy). It says a month on there

That will take priority then.

Original post by TSRiann
though I thought the general rule was reasonable notice?

It is unless specified elsewhere. Buy as I said; reasonable notice could well be as little as 24 hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending