The Student Room Group

3-year degree versus 4-year degree in Canada

(I apologise now because I feel like the answer to this might be obvious or I've just not researched it properly.) I've been looking online and I'm struggling to see the difference between 3 year and 4 year degrees in Canada. From what I understand, a 3 year degree is an 'ordinary' one but a 4 year one is an Honours one - it seems like most Canadians do the 4 year option. I'm basically just trying to figure out whether or not a Canadian 3 year degree is equivalent to, say, an English 3 year degree, and also whether in Canada it is worth more to have a 4 year or 3 year degree, considering it seems the majority of people do a 4 year degree - is a 3 year degree as highly regarded?
If anyone can help out that'd be awesome,
???

I'm not sure where you are getting the Honours idea from. For most major Canadian universities, the addition of an Honours tag means the student took on an undergraduate research project and provided a thesis. Most students don't have Honours added on.

Depending on the university you attend, a 4 year degree and a 3 year degree at one of the big names could mean cramming the same course load into a smaller period of time. At a smaller university, a 3 year degree means less extraneous courses (electives) in your curriculum.
Original post by 4170sre
(I apologise now because I feel like the answer to this might be obvious or I've just not researched it properly.) I've been looking online and I'm struggling to see the difference between 3 year and 4 year degrees in Canada. From what I understand, a 3 year degree is an 'ordinary' one but a 4 year one is an Honours one - it seems like most Canadians do the 4 year option. I'm basically just trying to figure out whether or not a Canadian 3 year degree is equivalent to, say, an English 3 year degree, and also whether in Canada it is worth more to have a 4 year or 3 year degree, considering it seems the majority of people do a 4 year degree - is a 3 year degree as highly regarded?
If anyone can help out that'd be awesome,

Like you've said earlier, most students get a 4-year degree. Canadian universities usually require 4-year degrees as a minimum requirement for graduate programmes. The 3-year degree is only a general degree is generally frowned upon, unless you went to a professional programme (ex. medicine, law, dentistry, etc.) after 3 years and obtained a general degree, in which case the stigma is removed.

Students with the honours degree generally do a thesis or research paper/project (but that is not always true) with higher GPA requirments, while students with the general degree generally complete the minimal number of required courses to obtain the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending