The Student Room Group

My dad says i am allowed to date anyone, just no muslims.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popo111
Yes and I was quoting yourself...

Incorrect, we're both not stuck, you are. Simply because people 'generalise muslims as a race' doesn't mean it's correct to or that I must abide to that. Muslims have no race, neither do non muslims. Yes, it maybe perceived as discriminatory, but certainly not racism, this very notion is absurd.

Such drivel is rarely found.

sorry, I assumed, like a huge array of users on this website, that you were one of the people who made the generalisation of muslims as a race and therefore say that islam-criticism is "racism"
Reply 61
Original post by ChaplinHat
Don't all muslims think the same if they're reading from the same book.

bitch I bet you read Of Mice and Men and turned out thinking like Lennie smh :colonhash: :lol:
Original post by BubbleBoobies
sorry, I assumed, like a huge array of users on this website, that you were one of the people who made the generalisation of muslims as a race and therefore say that islam-criticism is "racism"

Indeed, next time don't be so quick to assume. Such generalizations, as previously mentioned, are absurd and frankly incorrect, in all dimensions.

Also note that criticism doesn't equate to racism, either you're making errors here or the so called students are poorly educated.
Original post by popo111
Indeed, next time don't be so quick to assume. Such generalizations, as previously mentioned, are absurd and frankly incorrect, in all dimensions.

Also note that criticism doesn't equate to racism, either you're making errors here or the so called students are poorly educated.

let's agree to agree
Original post by HucktheForde
is he racist? :frown:

Nope, my daddy says the exact same. No Muslims at all

And I would only choose Atheists myself
you've just admitted that muslims aren't allowed to date though :lol: you're really going to admit that but not admit that fathers essentially force their kids to marry who the father wants? you seem *really* naive. if we're talking about muslims whose parents were immigrants from muslim cultures e.g. pakistan, bangladesh, etc, then it is basically assured that they will do as their former culture demanded

You said it "culture". The Hindus and probably some Africans practice this too. I'm fine if culture is what you meant though.
Have you seen how violent muslims react to protests. It is not the fault of the british general public if they equate muslims with violence, muslims express their feelings through violence and anger.

Thats only a minority of muslims. What about groups like Britian first or the EDL hooligans who cause drama at protests, we dont generalise them and say this is what white English people are like. Not all of the British public do that I was referring to this website.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Today on things your father didn't say.

:angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
but how come though? as a muslim i am rather curious - what is it with the label that bothers your father?

The problem with saying that Islam isn't a race is that, sadly, ex-Muslims are lumped with Muslims just because they look a-like. So it really turns from discrimination based on a person's belief system into discrimination based on looks, hence racism.
Original post by Eternalflames
Nope, my daddy says the exact same. No Muslims at all

And I would only choose Atheists myself

Is he fine with Ex-Muslims then?
Original post by oShahpo
Is he fine with Ex-Muslims then?

I would guess so. Just as long as the guy is not religious, he should be fine with ex-whatever, now Atheist.
Original post by oShahpo
The problem with saying that Islam isn't a race is that, sadly, ex-Muslims are lumped with Muslims just because they look a-like. So it really turns from discrimination based on a person's belief system into discrimination based on looks, hence racism.

Your being just as assumptious calling anyone who may only have a problem with the religion a racist.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's so funny to watch people confuse religion with regional traditions. :ahee:
Talk about dumber than a plank of wood.
Don't all muslims think the same if they're reading from the same book.

Maybe you can relate more with this:
You read Of Mice and Men, I read Of Mice and Men. But we'll most likely have different ideas and different interpretations of the characters. One of us may sympathise with characters that the other doesn't. One of us might think the ending is happy, the other may take snore pessimistic view. Books are so complex, the author has an intention for writing but because of the different ways we interpret the book we would probably take a different message from it. I might think the author's message was to make us feel empathy but you might disagree. You might think the author's message is something completely different - maybe even the oppose to what I thought. But we read the same book.
Now I don't know if you've read Of Mice and Men or not, just picked it since it's commonly studied :smile: but this can be applicable to any book you've ever written. There's no way everyone in your GCSE English class thought the exact same way about the book and had the exact same interpretations. Books are so ambiguous and so open to interpretation.

Going back to Of Mice and Men, it's been in the GCSE specification for a really long time. My cousin's mother in law was telling me how even she studied it at GCSE :smile: I think that one of the reasons why it's there for so long is because of how many different readings it has to it. It's a small book, considered a novella not a novel. Less than 200 pages for definite.

The Quran (holy book of Islam) has over 600 pages. Inevitably, it is open to a wide range of interpretations and so some 'religious groups' would take a very extremist and/or literal approach to interpreting it. I'm a Muslim, I've studied the Quran for years and I disagree with many of the interpretations some self-declared Muslims have taken. Some self-declared Muslims go on to bomb, kill and terrorise in the name of Islam and I think that is very wrong and not what was encouraged through the Quran. Others stay in their communities but their strict and often sexist culture blurs into their religious teachings so that Muslim women are seen as oppressed. This obviously has a negative impact on the way Islam is perceived.

But like I said, these actions have been taken because of the way people interpret the Quran. The fault is not Islam. Islam is perfect. It is us who aren't.
Reply 75
You can always have a mutha(temporary marriage)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unrelated question. What happens if you were born in a strict muslim family, but you realize you're agnostic/atheistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XOR_
Your being just as assumptious calling anyone who may only have a problem with the religion a racist.

But I am not. What I am saying is that Racism and hatred of Muslims are not mutually exclusive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending