The Student Room Group

Taking 1 year off uni

Hi guys.
Not quite sure how to put this.
I'm a final year student studying a fairly demanding course, related to medicine. (I don't want to disclose details as I don't want to be found out)
I have always wanted to graduate with this degree, it has been a passion of mine, but over the past two years I have become depressed due to my high level of anxiety which has gotten worse over the years. It has left me more and more depressed. Part of the reason for the down hill spiral was the work and exams, and part of it was to do with a very close member of the family passing away last year. I still sat the exam and passed but at the extent of damaging my mental health I feel. I didn't take a gap year after my 3rd year exam as I thought I would get over it, but now in my final year at uni (4th year) I feel all the emotions coming back to haunt me. My finals are soon and the feelings of loss are resurfacing. I wake up feeling depressed.
I have been given meds by the doctor to help control my mood but I do not feel this is helping my studies and am afraid of up coming exams. I do not want to fail or give up which was partly why I soldiered on these past years but I really feel my mental health is taking a turn for the worse.

Would it be wise to take a year leave from uni? And start the summer 2017? (so I would be rejoining the year two years below me) I have considered the negatives to doing such a thing - from forgetting coursework from taking a break, to losing the drive to study when I start up again, to something as simple as meeting new class mates made difficult by my anxiety.
Will it be wise to take a year out and start again? Part of me wants to sit finals and pass. Part of me wants to give up from constantly feeling depressed, and giving a year out a shot to see if it'll do me any good.
Thanks for reading
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys.
I'm a final year student studying a fairly demanding course, related to medicine. (I don't want to disclose details as I don't want to be found out)
I have always wanted to graduate with this degree, it has been a passion of mine, but over the past two years I have become depressed due to my high level of anxiety which has gotten worse over the years. It has left me more and more depressed. Part of the reason for the down hill spiral was the work and exams, and part of it was to do with a very close member of the family passing away last year. I still sat the exam and passed but at the extent of damaging my mental health I feel. I didn't take a gap year after my 3rd year exam as I thought I would get over it, but now in my final year at uni (4th year) I feel all the emotions coming back to haunt me. My finals are soon and the feelings of loss are resurfacing. I wake up feeling depressed.
I have been given meds by the doctor to help control my mood but I do not feel this is helping my studies and am afraid of up coming exams. I do not want to fail or give up which was partly why I soldiered on these past years but I really feel my mental health is taking a turn for the worse.

Would it be wise to take a year leave from uni? And start the summer 2017? (so I would be rejoining the year two years below me) I have considered the negatives to doing such a thing - from forgetting coursework from taking a break, to losing the drive to study when I start up again, to something as simple as meeting new class mates made difficult by my anxiety.
Will it be wise to take a year out and start again? Part of me wants to sit finals and pass. Part of me wants to give up from constantly feeling depressed, and giving a year out a shot to see if it'll do me any good.
Thanks for reading

Do what's best for your health if you think taking a year out will help then go for it.
I know that you're feeling stressed out about your exams/ other events in your life, but I would say it's really important to consider what the effect of taking a year out could be. It may seem that it would be good for you, giving you time to gather your thoughts/ sort your medication out, but you need to consider that it may just draw your suffering out for a year longer.

PLEASE don't take what I say (or what anybody else says) as prescriptive: I just think it would be good for you to consider all of the potential implications of taking a year out. In the end, it is only a degree and your mental health is more important. Consider whether or not you would feel better about taking the exams this year (just getting them over and done with) or taking another year to prepare. In the end, only you can decide what is best for you (and I know that's scary but you'll just have to trust yourself on this one). Discuss it with as many (non-biased) people as possible (e.g. your GP/psychologist, counsellor, careers advisor, tutor). Make a list of the potential pros and cons of each.

Remember, either way you have achieved a lot so far and you have a lot to look forward to. Good luck and I hope you feel a bit better soon :console:
Definitely take a year out. 1 year isn't much time at all when you compare it to a lifespan. It's better to take time off, get better, and go back to uni refreshed than burn yourself out and potentially fail exams and not be allowed to retake the year.

Your health is more important.
Reply 4
I know that you're feeling stressed out about your exams/ other events in your life, but I would say it's really important to consider what the effect of taking a year out could be. It may seem that it would be good for you, giving you time to gather your thoughts/ sort your medication out, but you need to consider that it may just draw your suffering out for a year longer.

PLEASE don't take what I say (or what anybody else says) as prescriptive: I just think it would be good for you to consider all of the potential implications of taking a year out. In the end, it is only a degree and your mental health is more important. Consider whether or not you would feel better about taking the exams this year (just getting them over and done with) or taking another year to prepare. In the end, only you can decide what is best for you (and I know that's scary but you'll just have to trust yourself on this one). Discuss it with as many (non-biased) people as possible (e.g. your GP/psychologist, counsellor, careers advisor, tutor). Make a list of the potential pros and cons of each.

Remember, either way you have achieved a lot so far and you have a lot to look forward to. Good luck and I hope you feel a bit better soon :console:

Thanks for the words of support.
I really do want to graduate but it feels like a losing battle. I thought about sitting the exam, and seeing how that went. That's when the voices in my head start saying if I don't pass now I won't ever pass...that I'll end up being nothing, having nothing to show for 4 years etc etc. I tend to think like this often. So suddenly taking a year out to let my mind get better mentally seems like a good idea. But of course once I go back like you say, it will be another year dragged on.

I've tried speaking to a support supervisor once, but it makes me feel ashamed and embarrassed to admit I have such a problem. There have been other people on my course who have suffered loss but they're seemingly doing fine. Their grades show it too, I'm average at best.
Also I feel if I open up too much to my university that they will see this as being unfit to continue on my course, so I feel suffocated without being able to explain what is happening.
I get the impression from others that a year after what has happened is long enough for people to expect me to get better. I don't feel any better though that's the thing.
Reply 5
I'm in the same boat, exams in 3 weeks. Only thing stopping me is the financial implications as an international student, otherwise its a no brainer. Depression and anxiety has shown me how your own mind can be your worst enemy. TAKE THE YEAR OFF PROVIDED YOU WORK ON GETTING BETTER!
Reply 6
Original post by facade
I'm in the same boat, exams in 3 weeks. Only thing stopping me is the financial implications as an international student, otherwise its a no brainer. Depression and anxiety has shown me how your own mind can be your worst enemy. TAKE THE YEAR OFF PROVIDED YOU WORK ON GETTING BETTER!

Did you take a year off? Did it make you feel better about life?
Did you take a year off? Did it make you feel better about life?

I am studying at the University of London International Programmes led by LSE and have got an average of 2.1 in my first and second years combined, and further units with scores that are above 70. I am a management student and was studying all through the year, it's been hard though, I have been blanking out since my mock papers and so unsure of clearing this year, I really really want a first or a 2.1 since I do strongly stand a chance. Do not know whether not clearing all modules and giving resits the next year, and scoring better, or just to give the exams and end up with a pass degree is a good choice. I don't know how it would affect my CV since I do have colleges like LSE on my mind and have been doing well for the first two years. I also interned full-time at a reputed FMCG firm for 9 months thisyear, along with studying, can that add to my credits if I do not clear all my modules and resit them? My Uni does allow resits. Looking for opinions since I am not too sure as to how LSE or Kings or the other good colleges would view this thing of giving two modules this year and the remaining in the next year. Is it better to pass all and get done with a low class degree? Or give a chance next year? Do they reject applicants who completed the degree late? Please reply!
Reply 8
Original post by superstar102
I am studying at the University of London International Programmes led by LSE and have got an average of 2.1 in my first and second years combined, and further units with scores that are above 70. I am a management student and was studying all through the year, it's been hard though, I have been blanking out since my mock papers and so unsure of clearing this year, I really really want a first or a 2.1 since I do strongly stand a chance. Do not know whether not clearing all modules and giving resits the next year, and scoring better, or just to give the exams and end up with a pass degree is a good choice. I don't know how it would affect my CV since I do have colleges like LSE on my mind and have been doing well for the first two years. I also interned full-time at a reputed FMCG firm for 9 months thisyear, along with studying, can that add to my credits if I do not clear all my modules and resit them? My Uni does allow resits. Looking for opinions since I am not too sure as to how LSE or Kings or the other good colleges would view this thing of giving two modules this year and the remaining in the next year. Is it better to pass all and get done with a low class degree? Or give a chance next year? Do they reject applicants who completed the degree late? Please reply!

My friend retook a year at cambridge and had his grades capped so he only got a third.
Original post by Thomb
My friend retook a year at cambridge and had his grades capped so he only got a third.

Thank you for your response. My university would not penalise me academically. Hence, unsure of whether to give it a year more or just finish it with a pass degree?
Reply 10
Original post by superstar102
Thank you for your response. My university would not penalise me academically. Hence, unsure of whether to give it a year more or just finish it with a pass degree?

If you won't be penalised then you should take a year off to maximise your grade.
Original post by Thomb
If you won't be penalised then you should take a year off to maximise your grade.

Thanks so much for your response. I wanted to know failed modules usually appear on transcripts? I do not know how it works. Does it differ from university to university?

Yes, I have confirmed with the examination authorities, in writing, that I would not be penalised.
Its your life and your choice.

Go and see the Dr or a counselor again and you need their diagnosis and support asap. You need to make the decision asap and notify them.
Its perfectly fine if you feel you cant cope and you cna get yourself sorted out next year or they cna defer your exams till the Autumn resits.

Bereavement affects people in different ways and there is no standard time it takes. Whatever your reaction, its your reaction and the correct one. Its very common for it to be dealyed till years down the line. If you are ok with resitting the year, then imo go and tell them now. You will feel better for it.
Hi guys.

Thanks for reading

Keep going I would say!
I did the same as you and kept pushing myself through uni despite my mental health getting progressively worse as time passed. Eventually I had no choice but to leave and come back the next year - I was really upset and felt like I had failed but the time out really helped me and I did feel a little better. When I came back to uni I did better and felt more able to do the work and meet my deadlines. It gave me a little more energy and I am glad I did take time out, in fact i wish I had done so sooner as I shouldn't have let myself get so ill for the sake of wanting to finish my degree sooner.

At the end of the day, it's your decision but it sounds like you need a break. Don't let your health suffer, you CAN come back and do it.

Quick Reply

Latest