The Student Room Group

Who's your TSR best buddy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
At GCSE, you would be surprised by how much your grades can be boosted by virtue of mark scheme luck and mark-to-UMS conversions. I never expected to do as well as I did, and I turned out fine; so will you, so don't worry. :tongue:

Spoiler

That'd only work if I bothered to make use of mark schemes more often. And even then, they don't help much with subjects like languages, English and at times History. :dontknow:

Spoiler

Original post by TheOtherSide.
That'd only work if I bothered to make use of mark schemes more often. And even then, they don't help much with subjects like languages, English and at times History. :dontknow:

Spoiler

No, I meant as in lenient mark schemes. :ninja: I didn't use mark schemes for any of my subjects other than the three sciences at GCSE. :3

Languages, history and English are mostly just exam technique which the teacher is supposed to tell you about, if I recall correctly. With history, I remember these big A3 sheets being put up on the wall of the history classrooms detailing how to answer each of the six types of source questions (which were the same on every paper, e.g. source D and E will always appear in the same question offering different opinions on something and you had to comment on to what extent each source was useful/reliable to a historian and why).

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
No, I meant as in lenient mark schemes. :ninja: I didn't use mark schemes for any of my subjects other than the three sciences at GCSE. :3

Spoiler

Pshh mark schemes never work in my favour. :sad: So how did you revise? :eek3:

Spoiler

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Pshh mark schemes never work in my favour. :sad: So how did you revise? :eek3:

Spoiler

At GCSE, they almost always do. :tongue:

Well, this is going back to 2013, so my memory isn't the clearest, but I just read my notes/any booklets we'd been given for most subjects. I only really used the spec/substantial numbers of past papers for maths and the sciences; in the rest of the subjects I was relying mostly on past papers we'd done in class (the technique for most of them was pretty easy to remember and repeat in the actual thing - where a paper was actually difficult, most people did badly so the grade boundaries were ridiculously low).

Although I did do a lot of reading of mark schemes and trying to remember standard questions and answers for engineering, the subject I arguably worked hardest for, and yet received the lowest grade for. :colonhash: (I blame the department to this day, since my C was the highest grade in the whole year, so it was clearly not just me being crap at practical subjects...).

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
At GCSE, they almost always do. :tongue:

Well, this is going back to 2013, so my memory isn't the clearest, but I just read my notes/any booklets we'd been given for most subjects. I only really used the spec/substantial numbers of past papers for maths and the sciences; in the rest of the subjects I was relying mostly on past papers we'd done in class (the technique for most of them was pretty easy to remember and repeat in the actual thing).

Although I did do a lot of reading of mark schemes and trying to remember standard questions and answers for engineering, the subject I arguably worked hardest for, and yet received the lowest grade for. :colonhash: (I blame the department to this day, since my C was the highest grade in the whole year, so it was clearly not just me being crap at practical subjects...).

Spoiler

Okay, so I could read mark schemes and other notes my teacher gave me (if I can find them). Except I don't know when I'm focusing so much on sciences when I've clearly got to work more on the essay subjects...

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman

Languages, history and English are mostly just exam technique which the teacher is supposed to tell you about, if I recall correctly. With history, I remember these big A3 sheets being put up on the wall of the history classrooms detailing how to answer each of the six types of source questions (which were the same on every paper, e.g. source D and E will always appear in the same question offering different opinions on something and you had to comment on to what extent each source was useful/reliable to a historian and why).

Okay, yeah, our English teacher did tell us a lot about exam technique, but I'm still unsure about History, since my teacher mainly goes at his own pace, sort of expecting people to follow along (when in fact, I have no idea what he's telling us to include in our answers).

Spoiler

@Zargabaath - I like this user too.
Reply 246
The kuffaar

@Zargabaath
Original post by ivybridge
@Zargabaath - I like this user too.

I agree :biggrin:
i like you too
Im not sure if you remember but we got into some pretty heated debates in the past, game of thrones is a good way to bring people together :yep:

Original post by z33
The kuffaar

@Zargabaath

I aint no kuffar bruv :hand:
U munafiq
:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest