The Student Room Group

First years, how have you found university so far?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllainKahlo
Not happy about it. As long as I get my 1st, it will be worth it. Or a 2.1, no less. I find everyone boring here. I'd rather be completely alone than live and have to interact with boring individuals everyday. My uni is lackluster, this is probably the worst school establishment, in terms of experience, that I've ever had to endure.

Sorry to hear that! I am sure there are some interesting like minded people at your uni though :tongue: you just have to find them!

Original post by Tachikoma
Ugh, most people on my course are so boring. I plan on changing my degree anyway for next year, so hopefully I'll meet more interesting and talkative individuals.
Right now I'm just revising for my exams :colonhash:

What course are you doing now and are gonna change to? :curious:

Original post by babyshawte
There were ups and downs. But, i love my course and the friends I have made so far. I am hoping that second year will be even better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear :smile: hopefully it continues for you!

Original post by Plagioclase
It's been pretty good so far. Course is generally very interesting, the department is great and there are lots of good opportunities.

Great to hear! Hope it continues :h:
Original post by M14B
I enjoyed the course and the department but not Nottingham itself, coming originally from London

What don't you like about Nottingham? I have heard the night life is one of the best in the country (if you are into that sort of thing :tongue:)

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Probably the worst year I've had for a while. I'm being very, very lazy about revision; I expect to pass but it's also worth 10%. I do very little. I haven't grown as a person, probably the opposite. I do at least enjoy my time with a couple of societies.

I know how you feel. I had this experience when I went to uni for the first time. I hope it improves for you next year!

Original post by RachaelBee
Loved it! Made loads of friends, joined some awesome societies (got elected as VP of one of them), love my course and even without sitting my exams I've achieved a mid 2:2, hoping for a 1st once exams are done.

That's great to hear! Congrats for the VP, too! :h:
I'm pretty exhausted, but I'm still loving it. Love my course and I've surprised myself in terms of how outgoing I've managed to be. Not sure where the work ethic I had in college went, though, which concerns me a little bit. Bring on second year!
Original post by JB1807
Some aspects have been good such as societies, becoming more independent and some parts of the course.

However, i just want first year to be over now. Halls have been one of the worst experiences for me and im glad to be living in a house next year. Work has become boring and its just revising now. Have 3 exams within 4 days. In general im just really bored at uni right now. Im at home now but i keep having to go back for society meetings and of course exams in a weeks time. Havent really developed socially although i have gotten to know people in societies and the course.

Going back and fourth between home and uni is annoying (40 mins away). Going back to the flat is annoying. Halls in general are annoying. Revision is annoying.

Just want to have summer and start second year. I think it will be much better.

What has made your experience with halls be so terrible? Flatmates? At least you won't be experiencing that next year! I live around 40 minutes away from my uni, but commute instead :tongue:

Original post by Sabertooth
I've made a few friends (big thing for me!) and found the classes interesting. It's been a while since I've been in education so I found the work and revising really difficult to start with but I've got better at it as time has gone on. I'm hoping that I can get a good grade in my summer class and I'm already studying for the fall semester. I got two As and a C which isn't too bad given how much I was failing to start with.

Great to hear and yeah, I find making friends quite tough too! Hopefully your grades continue to improve! :h:
Not happy about it. As long as I get my 1st, it will be worth it. Or a 2.1, no less. I find everyone boring here. I'd rather be completely alone than live and have to interact with boring individuals everyday. My uni is lackluster, this is probably the worst school establishment, in terms of experience, that I've ever had to endure.

where are you
Original post by jonathanemptage
where are you

Warwick.
Reply 26
Original post by moment of truth
What don't you like about Nottingham? I have heard the night life is one of the best in the country (if you are into that sort of thing :tongue:)

Not a clubber or drinker!
:frown:
Original post by M14B
I enjoyed the course and the department but not Nottingham itself, coming originally from London

What is the difference you found between Nottingham and London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick.

Warwick was peak in years 2002-2007, theyve changed it so much and less quality of people come there now so its not as good as in the last decade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by KazuoTakeda
What is the difference you found between Nottingham and London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Missed my friends and locals
Original post by M14B
Missed my friends and locals

Yeah Im there too and from London also. The hardest thing about being away from home is living alone/not having anyone to sort of lean on like a family member or that sort of unity or trust, it sort of feels like everyone is in it for themselves, which is kind of hard to deal with being there the whole time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KazuoTakeda
Warwick was peak in years 2002-2007, theyve changed it so much and less quality of people come there now so its not as good as in the last decade

Posted from TSR Mobile

That totally makes me feel better,
Original post by M14B

Hi,

What is it about Nottingham you don't enjoy?
Is it the city or the uni? I might go there next year so I feel worried?

f*ck I'm going to Warwick in September :frown:

went to an offer holder open day and thought it looked lovely. oh well :frown:
Original post by jambojim97
f*ck I'm going to Warwick in September :frown:

went to an offer holder open day and thought it looked lovely. oh well :frown:

Your experience will depend on your department, and syllabus. You may enjoy it more than I did. I thought it looked lovely on the offer holder day too. But I realised, seeing the campus for one day gives you a deceiving impression of what it is truly like.
Your experience will depend on your department, and syllabus. You may enjoy it more than I did. I thought it looked lovely on the offer holder day too. But I realised, seeing the campus for one day gives you a deceiving impression of what it is truly like.

What are you studying? I'm going to be studying Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods. On the offer holder day the taster seminars and intro lectures were really good and I thought it was the course for me. Was this also your experience?
Original post by jambojim97
What are you studying? I'm going to be studying Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods. On the offer holder day the taster seminars and intro lectures were really good and I thought it was the course for me. Was this also your experience?

I didn't get any taster lessons and was shocked to find that in the Humanities building, where half of my lessons are, the majority of funding in the university goes to Engineering. So we literally have to have our lessons in our tutors' offices, which can seat about 5 people all squashed together. We have the oldest building in the university and it's appalling.

I'm studying English Literature and Creative Writing. My lectures are honestly nothing we couldn't learn on our own and our seminars feel artificial - the tutors evidently don't want to be there, they want to work on their own publications, not our progress. My sixth form was really good and I honestly feel as though Warwick is a downgrade from my college.
I didn't get any taster lessons and was shocked to find that in the Humanities building, where half of my lessons are, the majority of funding in the university goes to Engineering. So we literally have to have our lessons in our tutors' offices, which can seat about 5 people all squashed together. We have the oldest building in the university and it's appalling.

I'm studying English Literature and Creative Writing. My lectures are honestly nothing we couldn't learn on our own and our seminars feel artificial - the tutors evidently don't want to be there, they want to work on their own publications, not our progress. My sixth form was really good and I honestly feel as though Warwick is a downgrade from my college.

Sorry to hear this, my experience is completely different, can't see myself at another uni in the world imo, apart from possibly stanford/harvard and oxford.
Try to join some societies and do some sports, there's a vast amount of interesting people here, just gotta know where to look.
Original post by Maestori
Sorry to hear this, my experience is completely different, can't see myself at another uni in the world imo, apart from possibly stanford/harvard and oxford.
Try to join some societies and do some sports, there's a vast amount of interesting people here, just gotta know where to look.

I honestly hate it when people assume that joining societies will change a thing. I'm a part of various societies and I do not enjoy them. I should have gone to Oxford. And your version of interesting is likely completely different from mine. I'm glad your experience has been good but I have no doubt in my mind that I could have done better.
Original post by Tachikoma
Ugh, most people on my course are so boring. I plan on changing my degree anyway for next year, so hopefully I'll meet more interesting and talkative individuals.
Right now I'm just revising for my exams :colonhash:

What are you changing to and from? I'm changing from psychology to english lit.

Quick Reply

Latest