The Student Room Group
Original post by Xppx3
Hi guys,

Has anyone out there done an intercalated masters abroad? I was wondering if it was at all possible or how hard it was?

Thanks

I nearly did (so applied and everything) but then got an offer from my first choice intercalation so never went abroad! I know someone who intercalated in a MSc at Harvard, and somebody else doing something at the Pasteur Institut - so yes it's definitely possible but I think a lot of it comes down to your own university and how you navigate the administration.

General tips: start the process very early, ideally a year in advance or so. Make sure the institution you want to intercalate at will let medical students intercalate their Masters; some are a bit weird about it. Involve lots of different people at different stages of the medical hierarchy (your tutor, a supervisor maybe, head of year, head of undergraduate teaching etc.) Some universities might not let you go study abroad in a 'dangerous' location.

Might be able to help a bit more if you had specific questions, ideas about where/what you wanted to do? :smile:
Reply 2
Well the plan is to do something in Europe, maybe Sweden (cos free) but I didn't know if it'd be possible having not technically graduated, but having enough European Degree Credits (or something) to be eligible. Because, should I go abroad and do a masters, I'd be graduating with a masters before I got my bachelors? I didn't know if this was possible, but as you say it seems to be, but just requires a lot of organisation/cooperation.

I think it'd be best to find a few programmes I'm interested in and fire of a few emails to the relevant institutions

Thanks for you help
Original post by Xppx3
Well the plan is to do something in Europe, maybe Sweden (cos free) but I didn't know if it'd be possible having not technically graduated, but having enough European Degree Credits (or something) to be eligible. Because, should I go abroad and do a masters, I'd be graduating with a masters before I got my bachelors? I didn't know if this was possible, but as you say it seems to be, but just requires a lot of organisation/cooperation.

I think it'd be best to find a few programmes I'm interested in and fire of a few emails to the relevant institutions

Thanks for you help

Actually yes I forgot to mention - most places I have seen do require an undergraduate degree. Some places (such as LSHTM in London) let you intercalate after you've completed 3 years at medical school and therefore you would have an equivalent of a BMedSci, but you need to ask the places individually.
Reply 4
Yeah that's the problem I expect will be my main enemy
Original post by spacepirate-James
I nearly did (so applied and everything) but then got an offer from my first choice intercalation so never went abroad! I know someone who intercalated in a MSc at Harvard, and somebody else doing something at the Pasteur Institut - so yes it's definitely possible but I think a lot of it comes down to your own university and how you navigate the administration.

General tips: start the process very early, ideally a year in advance or so. Make sure the institution you want to intercalate at will let medical students intercalate their Masters; some are a bit weird about it. Involve lots of different people at different stages of the medical hierarchy (your tutor, a supervisor maybe, head of year, head of undergraduate teaching etc.) Some universities might not let you go study abroad in a 'dangerous' location.

Might be able to help a bit more if you had specific questions, ideas about where/what you wanted to do? :smile:

i want to intercalate in france but i want to do the masters course in the english language not french, is that a viable option?
Reply 6
Hey, I love to know more information about intercalating at Harvard, do you know how they went about this?
I studied a MSc in Global Health at Maastricht University during my intercalated year.

First semester spent in Maastricht, The Netherlands. Learnt a variety of subjects- a bit of anthropology, a bit of infectious diseases, bit too much fluffy stuff like sociology with a bit of Critical Theory propaganda thrown in. There was stats which got tricky towards the end, but if you were fine with your pre-clinical epidemiology stuff you'd be OK.

Second semester could be spent on exchange at a university abroad- so I spent 4 months in India, going to lectures during the day, drinking rum on the beach at night and going off to Goa and elsewhere at the weekend. Literally a glorified holiday. Then there's a research thesis to do at the end.

Tuition was just €2,000. Living costs in Maastricht were OK, although when I was there the exchange rate was better. Living in India could be done dirt cheap if you wanted, or you could waste a lot of money travelling about like I did.

Obviously having the cash to pay for the above up front would be the main issue for most- although a lot of banks offer 'elective loans' and the like, which a couple of my compatriots took advantage of.

EDIT didn't see the age of the thread, but here's my gift of the Masstricht holiday Master's degree to you all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dr_Bodkin_Adams
I studied a MSc in Global Health at Maastricht University during my intercalated year.

First semester spent in Maastricht, The Netherlands. Learnt a variety of subjects- a bit of anthropology, a bit of infectious diseases, bit too much fluffy stuff like sociology with a bit of Critical Theory propaganda thrown in. There was stats which got tricky towards the end, but if you were fine with your pre-clinical epidemiology stuff you'd be OK.

Second semester could be spent on exchange at a university abroad- so I spent 4 months in India, going to lectures during the day, drinking rum on the beach at night and going off to Goa and elsewhere at the weekend. Literally a glorified holiday. Then there's a research thesis to do at the end.

Tuition was just €2,000. Living costs in Maastricht were OK, although when I was there the exchange rate was better. Living in India could be done dirt cheap if you wanted, or you could waste a lot of money travelling about like I did.

Obviously having the cash to pay for the above up front would be the main issue for most- although a lot of banks offer 'elective loans' and the like, which a couple of my compatriots took advantage of.

EDIT didn't see the age of the thread, but here's my gift of the Masstricht holiday Master's degree to you all.

How did you go about applying? I've been looking online and can't really find anything. Also, which uni did you study at?
Original post by spacepirate-James

Hey, I known this was a long time ago, but do you possible remeber how that person applied to Harvard, and what they intercalated in? Also how difficult was the course/studying in America? Cheers, any help would be much appreciated because I am looking to apply to an American school for my intercalation,

Latest

Trending

Trending