The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We're not all good at maths.
:sigh:
Reply 3
Nah. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's too much fun for the autistic individual in question...
Why is this even a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread is highly offensive!
Reply 6
I vote for a button to destroy humanity and all it's stupid.
We have no idea what these cures will do. I currently take various medication dailyin order to treat my migraines. I am now permantely deaf in one ear. I also risk other serious side effects, including a serious eye condition.
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
We're not all good at maths.
I'm definitely not good at arithmetic, though I am very good at algebra, especially Boolean.

Autism is not a disease to be cured. In a lot of ways, being autistic has been an advantage for me. I've been able to get through some truly awful situations by simple virtue not knowing how not to get through them.
Reply 9
I'm not sure if this is a yes/no joke or pun or an actual question :iiam:

I am pretty good at Boolean. Maths isn't a strong field for me at all but I can do that one. Why?
Reply 10
This thread is ridiculous. Autistic people are the same as anyone else. I actually find this offensive!
Maybe low functioning autism
Original post by LibertyMan
I wouldn't. Autists are actually extremely valuable in that they give an alternative perspective to life. They bring up things casual scum don't even comprehend in their vain existence. And they're also very good at maths and logic, let's not forget.

Hell yes. Aspergers is the one thing that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
I don't think it would be an appropriate choice for somebody to make for other people, so no.
Probably. It would be for the greater good.

Original post by Tootles
I'm not sure if this is a yes/no joke or pun or an actual question :iiam:

I am pretty good at Boolean. Maths isn't a strong field for me at all but I can do that one. Why?

Reads like a joke to me.
Original post by LibertyMan
I wouldn't. Autists are actually extremely valuable in that they give an alternative perspective to life. They bring up things casual scum don't even comprehend in their vain existence. And they're also very good at maths and logic, let's not forget.

We really aren't all good at maths and logic.
Original post by ByronicHero
I don't think it would be an appropriate choice for somebody to make for other people, so no.

Absolutely
Huh.
Reply 17
No..
Original post by Tiger Rag
Absolutely

It would be a different question if we were talking about stopping autism in any children born after this point, though I'm not certain that my decision would be different.

I have worked with many children and adults with autism and it is simply part of what makes them them. I am not sure what would be gained by taking a 40 year old profoundly autistic man and "curing" his autism. Do we expect him to be any happier now that he is cognisant of the fact that he has spent 40 years broadly unaware of things that will now seem massively important - love, money etc. He now has to learn rudimentary skills, will possibly become aware of people's comments and perceptions after a time. This is ignoring critical learning ages. What if this man now spends the rest of his life still unable to talk or articulate himself at all, unable to properly interact with the world around him but also no longer feels comfortable with his favourite toys, no longer loves drinking tea or building things.

The idea of taking everyone's autism away doesn't only rob people competent to make the decision of the right to make it, but quite possibly robs those who are not competent of a great deal more.
Original post by ByronicHero
It would be a different question if we were talking about stopping autism in any children born after this point, though I'm not certain that my decision would be different.

I have worked with many children and adults with autism and it is simply part of what makes them them. I am not sure what would be gained by taking a 40 year old profoundly autistic man and "curing" his autism. Do we expect him to be any happier now that he is cognisant of the fact that he has spent 40 years broadly unaware of things that will now seem massively important - love, money etc. He now has to learn rudimentary skills, will possibly become aware of people's comments and perceptions after a time. This is ignoring critical learning ages. What if this man now spends the rest of his life still unable to talk or articulate himself at all, unable to properly interact with the world around him but also no longer feels comfortable with his favourite toys, no longer loves drinking tea or building things.

The idea of taking everyone's autism away doesn't only rob people competent to make the decision of the right to make it, but quite possibly robs those who are not competent of a great deal more.

We've discussed cures before on Facebook and said we have no idea what it's going to do. It's also what makes a person them. Of course, I would love to be in the situation where I can interact properly and fully understand what people really mean.

Latest