The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benfr
This thread is ridiculous. Autistic people are the same as anyone else. I actually find this offensive!

How is it offensive? I doubt that anyone wants their child to have autism, just like any other disability
Original post by Tiger Rag
We've discussed cures before on Facebook and said we have no idea what it's going to do. It's also what makes a person them. Of course, I would love to be in the situation where I can interact properly and fully understand what people really mean.

For a second there I thought you meant that you and I had discussed it on Facebook. I was very confused :lol:
Original post by ByronicHero
For a second there I thought you meant that you and I had discussed it on Facebook. I was very confused :lol:

lol

It comes up quite often. The general argument is that no-one can predict what a cure will do. In part, we'd be changing someone's personality.
Just to clarify we are not all brainiac Sheldon Cooper's or Rain Man savants... There are those of us on the spectrum who are just... average. And that's okay too. :smile:

And to answer your question.. No. That would mean that I would be gone.

I personally do not want to get rid of my autism, mainly because it is one of the main components that make me... me. Many people say that one should not be defined by their autism/disorder. But personally, it is very difficult for me to say that autism is a separate entity if that makes sense. I mean, it has had a profound impact on how I experience and perceive the world around me, my experience as a girl on the spectrum has shaped my likes and dislikes, aspects of my personality etc. If my autism was to be "purged", I am very sure that the person I am now would be gone.

I don't want to paint a romanticised view of life on the spectrum, there is nothing fun about being unable to connect with other human beings, or not being able to complete simple tasks because the instructions given seem too "vague" for the autistic brain to comprehend.. But, it is a part of me that I have accepted.
Original post by LibertyMan
I wouldn't. Autists are actually extremely valuable in that they give an alternative perspective to life. They bring up things casual scum don't even comprehend in their vain existence. And they're also very good at maths and logic, let's not forget.

I was like yeah yeah up until the casual scum part... Wtf is that?
Reply 25
I wouldn't. Autists are actually extremely valuable in that they give an alternative perspective to life. They bring up things casual scum don't even comprehend in their vain existence. And they're also very good at maths and logic, let's not forget.

People with autism should not be judged so no, I won't play God.
If you had a magic button that could get rid of all autism, would you?

No, because it would mean the end of this forum too.
Original post by Little Popcorns
I was like yeah yeah up until the casual scum part... Wtf is that?

I think this may have been intended as a troll thread
Personally yes, my little sister has autism and I don't love her any less because of it, it's just I see how much she struggles because of it. She can't talk so often if she's upset she can't explain what's wrong so it's hard to help. Don't be so quick to label people who have autism as 'smart' because it's a spectrum condition, it affects everyone differently.
Autism =/= Rainman.
Reply 30
Original post by mariapops
Personally yes, my little sister has autism and I don't love her any less because of it, it's just I see how much she struggles because of it. She can't talk so often if she's upset she can't explain what's wrong so it's hard to help. Don't be so quick to label people who have autism as 'smart' because it's a spectrum condition, it affects everyone differently.

By playing God and making the decision to remove it from her is judging her for who she is. Apparently you do not think she is perfect as she is and you feel you need to "improve" her. Disgraceful. Anyone who says yes on this thread is a disgusting human being
Original post by Omen96
By playing God and making the decision to remove it from her is judging her for who she is. Apparently you do not think she is perfect as she is and you feel you need to "improve" her. Disgraceful. Anyone who says yes on this thread is a disgusting human being

You completely Misunderstood what I said. She is the most perfect person I know but my point is she struggles immensely because of her autism. She can't talk to her own family and express herself to us and that must be so hard for her because I see her trying hard and if I could make that better for her, I would in a heartbeat so don't call me disgusting unless you have see. someone you love struggle. As for your playing God argument, doctors treat other conditions. You see the flaw in your logic,right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Omen96

Nobody will ever be perfect, but nobody wants to see their child/sibling suffer either. Can be argued that it's disgraceful to allow someone to struggle when you could help them.

You've just said 'anyone who says yes is a disgraceful human being' after you've just talked about not judging people :colonhash:
Reply 33
Original post by cherryred90s
Nobody will ever be perfect, but nobody wants to see their child/sibling suffer either. Can be argued that it's disgraceful to allow someone to struggle when you could help them.

You've just said 'anyone who says yes is a disgraceful human being' after you've just talked about not judging people :colonhash:

I believe you can judge people for the decisions they make but not how they are born. BIG BIG DIFFERENCE
Original post by Omen96
I believe you can judge people for the decisions they make but not how they are born. BIG BIG DIFFERENCE

So it's fine for people to refer to you as disgraceful for allowing your child to suffer? Ok great :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by cherryred90s
So it's fine for people to refer to you as disgraceful for allowing your child to suffer? Ok great :smile:

I can help my child through various means, and I would rather put the decision to her/him. For me to make the decision as a way of "improving" my kid is disgraceful
:getmecoat:

Autistic people are very varied. Very occasionally you get a 'savant' but you also get plenty of people who are severely disabled and never able to talk, toilet etc plus a huge range of people in the middle.

Either way it would really be for autistic people to decide and the important factor would be whether their lives would be better or worse for it, not whether or not it was good for me. I would guess life is more difficult if you are an autistic person than if you are not but that wouldn't necessarily make people want to significantly change who they are. Plenty of autistic people lead happy and full lives and do everything anyone else does.
Original post by Omen96
I can help my child through various means, and I would rather put the decision to her/him. For me to make the decision as a way of "improving" my kid is disgraceful

I know right, how dare anyone try to help a kid struggling with a neurodevelopmental disease. Disgusting. What next, vaccines? Antibiotics? We can't play God!!!1!!
Original post by Omen96

But the question says its your decision, not your child's. It would be improving their quality of life, I don't see anything wrong with supporting that.

Latest