The Student Room Group

Unpopular opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
The Leicester thing definitely is a story. To win the league with a starting XI that cost less than Lamela is a hell of an achievement, no matter what the detractors say.

Mine would be:

- Guardiola is massively overrated and has taken Bayern backwards if anything.

- Danny Drinkwater is ****. Loses the ball far too often and is made to look good by the players around him.

Agree on Guardiola. If you look at Fergie or Mourinho they've both overachieved with limited resources(Aberdeen and Porto) before they got their shot at a big club. Even at Utd Fergie was still finding finding unknown players who became top performers.

Guardiola just managed Barca's reserves and then got handed arguably the greatest club squad in history.
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Im a Reading fan actually :P

Ah, a fan of another similar Championship team that plays in blue with Thai owners - jealousy much?
Original post by JamesN88
Agree on Guardiola. If you look at Fergie or Mourinho they've both overachieved with limited resources(Aberdeen and Porto) before they got their shot at a big club. Even at Utd Fergie was still finding finding unknown players who became top performers.

Guardiola just managed Barca's reserves and then got handed arguably the greatest club squad in history.

Agree with the first paragraph 100%, but the second one is a stupidly simplistic way of looking at things.
You're acting as though Guardiolas presence isn't a factor in that team being widely regarded as the best team ever. They hadn't won a trophy the previous 2 seasons before Guardiola took the helm, coming 3rd in La Liga in 07-08, and didn't get past the semis of cl or copa del rey (the season before not winning the club world cup and losing in the r16 in cl).
Guardiola is a contributing factor into transforming that team and making them so good.
I too think he is overrated and needs to prove himself at a smaller club without financial backing (although I doubt he ever will), but to act as though THAT barca team would have happened workout him is, frankly, laughable. It isn't an unpopular opinion, it's just a stupid one

I've read that already, and honestly I was very shocked about how well it actually could've worked.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Ah, a fan of another similar Championship team that plays in blue with Thai owners - jealousy much?

Ofc I'm ****ing jealous I'd love to be in their position, whoever isn't is deluded(unless they're a major club). Bitter about it? No.
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Mine:

This Leicester thing isn't a story, they spent their way out of the championship by paying silly money for average at best players, Matt Mills cost them £5m which shows how recklessly they've spent

There's unpopular and then there's plain wrong. Svens approach was essentially set fire to a pile of money, but that lasted one summer. The following January and two seasons on our way up was typified by pearson shifting out the big money signings and replacing them with lower cost options - mills to morgan, beckford to Vardy, danns to drinkwater etc. we didn't spend our way up, we got up making cuts to playing costs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today's game again showing Kane isn't that good. His all round game is one of the worst I've ever seen, absolutely no awareness or intelligence in his game. Twice today he's wasted great opportunities with his sheer brain dead approach. Just before half time, can easily square it for 2-1 to Lamela, shoots from an impossible angle with no chance of scoring. In stoppage time at the end, box rammed, no real opening for a shot - lifting it back in is the only sensible move, nope, pointless shot well wide. 1 assist says it all, his awareness of when to shoot and when to lay it on a plate for others is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Today's game again showing Kane isn't that good. His all round game is one of the worst I've ever seen, absolutely no awareness or intelligence in his game. Twice today he's wasted great opportunities with his sheer brain dead approach. Just before half time, can easily square it for 2-1 to Lamela, shoots from an impossible angle with no chance of scoring. In stoppage time at the end, box rammed, no real opening for a shot - lifting it back in is the only sensible move, nope, pointless shot well wide. 1 assist says it all, his awareness of when to shoot and when to lay it on a plate for others is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

can't agree with this. A lot of the spurs players were awful today, including Eriksen, Kane and Lamela, who I all think are brilliant players. They just had a bad day.
Original post by richpanda
can't agree with this. A lot of the spurs players were awful today, including Eriksen, Kane and Lamela, who I all think are brilliant players. They just had a bad day.

Eh? It's a common theme of this season. It's the reason Spurs have fallen hilariously short. He did it again a few weeks back vs west brom - 3 on 3 counter, could lay it in for 2-0 to whoever it was getting up in support (alli and Lamela I think) and stay in the title race. Shoots wide from 30 yards with no real chance of troubling myhill from that range and position. West brom go up the other end, win a corner and score - any lingering hopes of the title gone.

Time and time again he's shown no awareness of when to shoot or when to pass. It's why Vardy is the superior player; take when we were grinding out 1-0s like it was the 90s and we were Graham's arsenal - newcastle and palace; Vardy in both gets an assist - Newcastle heading back across for okazaki under pressure from a defender, palace receiving a ball across and sending it back across for Mahrez to tap in. Really unlikely anyone scores from the positions he was in, so he had his head up and picked out someone in a better position. Can guarantee kane goes for goal on each of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Eh? It's a common theme of this season. It's the reason Spurs have fallen hilariously short. He did it again a few weeks back vs west brom - 3 on 3 counter, could lay it in for 2-0 to whoever it was getting up in support (alli and Lamela I think) and stay in the title race. Shoots wide from 30 yards with no real chance of troubling myhill from that range and position. West brom go up the other end, win a corner and score - any lingering hopes of the title gone.

Time and time again he's shown no awareness of when to shoot or when to pass. It's why Vardy is the superior player; take when we were grinding out 1-0s like it was the 90s and we were Graham's arsenal - newcastle and palace; Vardy in both gets an assist - Newcastle heading back across for okazaki under pressure from a defender, palace receiving a ball across and sending it back across for Mahrez to tap in. Really unlikely anyone scores from the positions he was in, so he had his head up and picked out someone in a better position. Can guarantee kane goes for goal on each of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah only just clocked that you're a leicester fan- that probably explains your bias. Did you watch spurs play arsenal, stoke or man united? Kane's link up play was excellent, he is good at laying it off to start fast counters.

By the way, just because i'm pro-kane it doesn't mean I'm anti-vardy. I'd love to see both of them play together at the Euros, possibly with Sturridge too.
Original post by richpanda
ah only just clocked that you're a leicester fan- that probably explains your bias. Did you watch spurs play arsenal, stoke or man united? Kane's link up play was excellent, he is good at laying it off to start fast counters.

By the way, just because i'm pro-kane it doesn't mean I'm anti-vardy. I'd love to see both of them play together at the Euros, possibly with Sturridge too.

Not at all - I do absolutely hate the seagull faced gimp for when he was with us - being the stereotypical prem loanee, an arrogant preening **** who couldn't be arsed enough to even try (and then had the cheek to fire the first shots against the city crowd last season. Probably would have got dogs abuse anyway but he hadn't before he started with the shushing) - but that doesn't change that he's not got good intelligence; he shoots too much and doesn't understand the difference between needing to be a bit selfish and just refusing to make the sensible passes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Probably isn't unpopular, but it's bound to not go down well with West Ham fans: the only reason West Ham have enjoyed the column inches they have this week, and the only reason such a big deal has been made of them leaving Upton Park, is because of the plethora of journalists and media figures, not to mention pundits, who support/played for West Ham.

We didn't get this over the top rhetoric when City left Maine Road, or Arsenal left Highbury.
Original post by Mackay
Probably isn't unpopular, but it's bound to not go down well with West Ham fans: the only reason West Ham have enjoyed the column inches they have this week, and the only reason such a big deal has been made of them leaving Upton Park, is because of the plethora of journalists and media figures, not to mention pundits, who support/played for West Ham.

We didn't get this over the top rhetoric when City left Maine Road, or Arsenal left Highbury.

Or even players who were neither. The Mail had Jamie Redknapp/Martin Keown/Carragher all talk about their Upton Park memories.. Honestly, you'd think t was Wembley they were saying goodbye to.

Add to that Sky Sports coverage last night which I was happy to miss and didn't see any mention of the fan who came to confront De Gea after WHU's second goal or as much of the incidents before the game. But the closing ceremony, seems it was as overblown and dragged out as much as feared beforehand.
@Lucio is a good quality contributor to this forum.
Reply 74
Original post by Aky786UK
Or even players who were neither. The Mail had Jamie Redknapp/Martin Keown/Carragher all talk about their Upton Park memories.. Honestly, you'd think t was Wembley they were saying goodbye to.

Add to that Sky Sports coverage last night which I was happy to miss and didn't see any mention of the fan who came to confront De Gea after WHU's second goal or as much of the incidents before the game. But the closing ceremony, seems it was as overblown and dragged out as much as feared beforehand.

It's no bigger than Southampton leaving the Dell, let alone Arsenal/City leaving Highbury or Maine Road respectively.

Quick Reply

Latest