The Student Room Group

Accepting Multiple Offers

Hi, so I've received an offer for a Computer Science MSc for both UCL and Imperial. UCL's offer is to get a 2:1 overall, while Imperial's is to get a 2:1 with the added requirement that the final year be 69%. I'd prefer the imperial offer, but at the same time its more risky should I not get the 69% in my final exams (currently in third year with an average of 68%, so a 2:1 shouldn't be an issue, a 69% might be).

I was just wondering if theres any major issue with just accepting both - either I get the 69% and go to Imperial (and thus reject UCL) or don't meet the entrance requirements and thus automatically lose the offer. Obviously the unis might not be too happy if I turn around later and cancel the acceptance, but I mean more, are these legally binding or anything like that - do I have an obligation to follow through if I accept an offer that I later decide I don't want?
Original post by rhonaha
Hi, so I've received an offer for a Computer Science MSc for both UCL and Imperial. UCL's offer is to get a 2:1 overall, while Imperial's is to get a 2:1 with the added requirement that the final year be 69%. I'd prefer the imperial offer, but at the same time its more risky should I not get the 69% in my final exams (currently in third year with an average of 68%, so a 2:1 shouldn't be an issue, a 69% might be).

I was just wondering if theres any major issue with just accepting both - either I get the 69% and go to Imperial (and thus reject UCL) or don't meet the entrance requirements and thus automatically lose the offer. Obviously the unis might not be too happy if I turn around later and cancel the acceptance, but I mean more, are these legally binding or anything like that - do I have an obligation to follow through if I accept an offer that I later decide I don't want?

It's fine to hold two offers, subject to a couple of comments:

Act professionally - as soon as you're in a position to make the decision (i.e., if all goes well, as soon as you've had the Imperial place confirmed in writing) send a polite email to UCL thanking them for the offer but regretfully informing them that your circumstances have changed and you no longer wish to take up the place etc.

If you need to pay a deposit (some unis ask for this) realise that you won't get it back - read the small print.

Universities do tend to over-offer for many postgrad places, on the basis that some people will accept offers in the hope of getting funding that doesn't eventually materialise, so it's fairly common for people to pull out, you won't be the only one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending