The Student Room Group

Don't know how to revise

Does anyone have the problem of not knowing how to revise? I just can't seem to find the right revision method for me, I have recently tried turning revision into songs but that isn't helping either :frown: my exams are in a week!
Reply 1
What methods have you tried so far?
Reply 2
First of all, what are you studying?

different techniques can help for different subjects

mindmaps?
Highlighting text books or photocopies?
Read others notes online?
flash cards?
if you really close to your exams and haven't revised much like me.I would first refresh on everything i learn for example chemistry i would refresh everything i learnt from solids,liquids and gases to organic chemistry. Doesn't take that long to refresh. Incase you haven't learned all of your content for the exam i would open the chapters you dont know and relate them to past papers.A day or two before the exam skim through papers and understand them via mark scheme and see on past papers where you went wrong so that doesn't occur on the actual exam.Really helped me for chemistry alternative to practical i wasn't prepared for and i came out of it confident :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Vivi11
What methods have you tried so far?

I've tried mind maps, revision cards, reading through text books and making notes with post-it notes. Nothing goes in!
Reply 5
Original post by minimimi
First of all, what are you studying?

different techniques can help for different subjects

mindmaps?
Highlighting text books or photocopies?
Read others notes online?
flash cards?

GCSE Science, I failed it in high school and passed BTEC but I have to retake it for my uni course. At the moment I'm just making notes within my text book using post-it notes and just summarising
Reply 6
Original post by Abdullah IGCSE
if you really close to your exams and haven't revised much like me.I would first refresh on everything i learn for example chemistry i would refresh everything i learnt from solids,liquids and gases to organic chemistry. Doesn't take that long to refresh. Incase you haven't learned all of your content for the exam i would open the chapters you dont know and relate them to past papers.A day or two before the exam skim through papers and understand them via mark scheme and see on past papers where you went wrong so that doesn't occur on the actual exam.Really helped me for chemistry alternative to practical i wasn't prepared for and i came out of it confident :smile:

My science ones are in a week so I'm doing chemistry as part of it too! I'm just summarising the text book using post-it notes at the moment
may i recommend looking at youtube tutorials, i'm currently doing AS chemistry and it was insanely hard until i found a certain youtuber who went through everything in a really good way. unless everyone else of course has recommended this in which case sorry for just repeating what everyone else said...
Reply 8
Original post by Toasticide
may i recommend looking at youtube tutorials, i'm currently doing AS chemistry and it was insanely hard until i found a certain youtuber who went through everything in a really good way. unless everyone else of course has recommended this in which case sorry for just repeating what everyone else said...

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by nxx27
Thank you!

CrashCourse on youtube is really good for revision!
Reply 10
I was in a similar position a couple of days ago too .. Right, so the method that worked for me was to pretend that I was teaching a class full of students about my subject. I made sure I explained my topics in detail whilst keeping things short. This method only works for subjects similar to English or Religious studies.

Here are a few that might help:
* Listen to revision podcasts
* When you read notes, read them out with an accent ( I use a posh one :wink:)
* DO PAST PAPERS! (This is important because it will test you on your knowledge. I made the mistake last year trying to remember the info but was unable to write it in the exam) When you are stuck, go through your notes and rewrite the exam question.
* Revise with a friend

Good luck!!
Reply 11
Original post by nxx27
My science ones are in a week so I'm doing chemistry as part of it too! I'm just summarising the text book using post-it notes at the moment

check mygcsescience

Quick Reply

Latest