The Student Room Group

Why do people with autism get extra time in exams

a kid in my school, has aspergers or whatever it's called. He's more intelligent than anyone in the school, and retains information without doing hardly/much work and get's amazing grades. But the thing that gets me, is that he has an extra half an hour in every exam, despite him getting nearly 100 percent in everything and being predicted A*'s, he's excuse is that it takes his brain longer to function(which is bs he's quicker than everyone in class and is always on the last question when we leave). Then if he beats one of us in an exam, he gets really cocky and gloats about it. I feel this is pretty unfair.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conservationofmass
a kid in my school, has aspergers or whatever it's called. He's more intelligent than anyone in the school, and retains information without doing hardly/much work and get's amazing grades. But the thing that gets me, is that he has an extra half an hour in every exam, despite him getting nearly 100 percent in everything and being predicted A*'s, he's excuse is that it takes his brain longer to function(which is bs he's quicker than everyone in class and is always on the last question when we leave). Then if he beats one of us in an exam, he gets really cocky and gloats about it. I feel this is pretty unfair.

It's fair, but it doesn't preclude him from being a **** and you from calling him a **** if he's being cocky.
Reply 2
Well just get over it I'm sure there are things you are better at than him and he feels as gutted as you do. :wink:
Extra time has nothing to do with how good a persons grades are, he still has a disability and is entitled to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Extra time = better grades
Better grades = better job
better job = more money
more money = more attractive wife
Original post by rockrunride
It's fair, but it doesn't preclude him from being a **** and you from calling him a **** if he's being cocky.

Why shouldn't I get extra time, I may forget things that may come back to me later...yeah he's a right c u next tuesday about it. thing is he's not like the other kid with aspergers that obviously needs it, like he has to have someone with him all the time and spasms, but this other kid is fine and only thing proper wrong is being socially awkward.
Reply 6
Maybe you should get extra time because B.U.T.T.H.U.R.T. is a serious medical condition. I'd look into it.
Original post by punkroses
Extra time has nothing to do with how good a persons grades are, he still has a disability and is entitled to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thing is, he doesn't need it at all, he can finish everything in the same time and he has no trouble remembering or knowing how to do complex stuff. He just wants it so he can spend an hour checking his work.
Original post by z33
Maybe you should get extra time because B.U.T.T.H.U.R.T. is a serious medical condition. I'd look into it.

I just fail to see how someone having a condition which enhances his intelligence and mathematical ability means he should get more time than the rest of us, especially when he ****ing gloats about it, pisses me right off and more so because you can't say anything to him
Original post by z33

Not really, everyone in the class hates the kid
Reply 10
I just fail to see how someone having a condition which enhances his intelligence and mathematical ability means he should get more time than the rest of us, especially when he ****ing gloats about it, pisses me right off and more so because you can't say anything to him

K furst of all - be happy for the kid that it hasn't impaired his intelligence and he's actually happy with himself and how his grades are doing since his social life is probably less than stellar so that's one of the few things he CAN boast about and be happy with

Second of all, get your finger out of your arse and compete with him. Do better than he does so he has a challenge. Or ask him for help when you need it. Don't whine and cry about it just because he gets more time than you do, just be grateful you aren't autistic.
thing is, he doesn't need it at all, he can finish everything in the same time and he has no trouble remembering or knowing how to do complex stuff. He just wants it so he can spend an hour checking his work.

What are your qualifications to say he doesn't need it? Anyway, wouldn't you want the extra time too? I bet you wouldn't say- "nah teacher, I could do it in the normal time, no need to give me extra time, I've got this." You wouldn't, would you? He clearly is entitled to it, and you don't know what his problems are in private. :/
Not really, everyone in the class hates the kid

Stop being so spiteful lol, the way you're talking about the poor kid is horrible.

Who cares if he gets extra time? You shouldn't. Now get off TSR and revise for your exams.
Original post by z33
K furst of all - be happy for the kid that it hasn't impaired his intelligence and he's actually happy with himself and how his grades are doing since his social life is probably less than stellar so that's one of the few things he CAN boast about and be happy with

Second of all, get your finger out of your arse and compete with him. Do better than he does so he has a challenge. Or ask him for help when you need it. Don't whine and cry about it just because he gets more time than you do, just be grateful you aren't autistic.

First of all, why should I have to revise more than him, when I am less intelligent than him, and get less time...social life is irrelevant it's an exam ffs. Oh don't worry, he certainly boasts, funny when my mate who is really smart beats him and he just has this look of wanting to murder someone on his face.

Bit hard to compete with someone that has a condition that makes his ability better than mine... he's not exactly "autistic" it just falls under that, for example the other autistic kid does actually need it, get's the same time as the kid that obviously don't, how is that fair to the people that actually need it, or people that don't get it. Can you get extra time for handwriting btw?, mine is ****ing terrible but I just have to put up with it, or the markers do anyway heh
Original post by punkroses
What are your qualifications to say he doesn't need it? Anyway, wouldn't you want the extra time too? I bet you wouldn't say- "nah teacher, I could do it in the normal time, no need to give me extra time, I've got this." You wouldn't, would you? He clearly is entitled to it, and you don't know what his problems are in private. :/

Well first of all he admitted he didn't actually need it to us, second of all he has a low form of autism, aspergers and everyone see's him in class and it's pretty obvious he's just taking the piss.
To start off with, you don't get that much extra time, it's all a percentage thing. 25% to be exact, for example, if my exam in an hour and a half, i would get around an extra 22 mins.

Secondly, you don't sound like you really know him that personally.

Asperger's is considered a "high function" form of Autism, this means in the basic of terms that we (yes i also have Asperger's) will have a better chance at living independent lives with out constant need of support/care. This does not mean however the person is any less affected by the disability

One of the problems many people with Asperger's face is processing and drawing up information. To the casual observer I would seem to be "fine" and perfectly "normal" when it comes to processing information, but when put in a stressful situation as an exam where I have to write an answer up instead of verbally saying it, it can cause my processing and recall to slow right down. Again this can be a common problem for people with Asperger's. (There's also the possibility that he has something like dyslexia or dysgraphia, which allows him extra time)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
First of all, why should I have to revise more than him, when I am less intelligent than him, and get less time...social life is irrelevant it's an exam ffs. Oh don't worry, he certainly boasts, funny when my mate who is really smart beats him and he just has this look of wanting to murder someone on his face.

Bit hard to compete with someone that has a condition that makes his ability better than mine... he's not exactly "autistic" it just falls under that, for example the other autistic kid does actually need it, get's the same time as the kid that obviously don't, how is that fair to the people that actually need it, or people that don't get it. Can you get extra time for handwriting btw?, mine is ****ing terrible but I just have to put up with it, or the markers do anyway heh

lifes not fair stop bitching
why should I have to revise more than him

this is the problem

He's getting top marks. You're not.

That is why you need to revise more
Reply 18
Original post by Devinely
To start off with you don't get that much extra time, it's all a percentage thing. 25% to be exact, for example, if my exam in an hour and a half, i would get around an extra 22 mins.

Secondly, you don't sound like you really know him that personally.

Asperger's is considered a "high function" form of Autism, this means in the basic of terms that we (yes i also have Asperger's) will have a better chance at living indent lives with out constant need to support/care. This does not mean however the person is any less affected by the disability

One of the problems many people with Asperger's face is processing and drawing up information. To the casual observer I would seem to be "fine" and perfectly "normal" when it comes to processing information, but when put in a stressful situation as an exam where I have to write an answer up instead of verbally saying it, it can cause my processing and recall to slow right down. Again this can be a common problem for people with Asperger's. (There's also the possibility that he has something like dyslexia or dysgraphia, which allows him extra time)

That all being said though, if he is acting like a prat I would also be a bit p***ed off as well.

I thought females aren't effected as much as males

Autism enhances intelligence? It means people have to try and work even harder to fit in with the 'norm', as I'm sure you take the piss out of him if he acts a little strange, so in reality if the choice he's made is to be intelligent you must respect that

Latest