The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Has anyone done the MSc Computer Science conversion course ?

Thinking about applying for the CS conversion masters.
Has anyone taken this and how did you find it ?
I am coming from a bio degree and would hopefully do the option with a placement
These courses usually expect people not to have any programming experience.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Incongruous
These courses usually expect people not to have any programming experience.

Hi! My partner and I are moving to Kent to do a teaching and an IT conversion course. We've read a few reviews and the university seems really good, especially with the year in Industry option. have you applied yet? Is there an open day and have you had a chance to speak to any one from the university regarding the course; for example; details on the structure, employability/ Industry connections and student satisfaction? If anyone who can help could answer too! We'd be super grateful! :colondollar:Good luck & Regards!
Reply 3
Hi all,

Britain does Computer Science conversion courses, but do any other countries?

I have found load in the UK but none abroad?

UK ones include:
Imperial College London, University College London, Bristol University, Nottingham University etc.
Newcastle, Edinburgh, Plymouth and bath also do this course.

Just been offered a place to do this one at Kent in case I'll be seeing any of you there.
Original post by BillSheikh1
Newcastle, Edinburgh, Plymouth and bath also do this course.

Just been offered a place to do this one at Kent in case I'll be seeing any of you there.

Edinburgh doesn't have a conversion course...?
No? Ah well, must've been somewhere else I saw it.
Reply 7
I am also starting this course from September, and my bachelors is in History. I'm incredibly excited. But yes, all the contact I've had with the department, as well as a friend who studies the course, as well the course literature, it does seem to presume zero prior knowledge of the subject in it's basic stream. Though to take us from that, to the end result, I am envisioning a particularly intensive 51 weeks.
Original post by Vorcen
I am also starting this course from September, and my bachelors is in History. I'm incredibly excited. But yes, all the contact I've had with the department, as well as a friend who studies the course, as well the course literature, it does seem to presume zero prior knowledge of the subject in it's basic stream. Though to take us from that, to the end result, I am envisioning a particularly intensive 51 weeks.

Intensive indeed. Where did you do your bachelors?
Reply 9
Original post by BillSheikh1
Intensive indeed. Where did you do your bachelors?

Canterbury Christchurch, so I actually know the city very well indeed (I should do, I lived there for three years). Part of the appeal of Kent, was it felt like going home. (Just to a more prestigious home this time)
Reply 10
So I guess no one knows of any Computer Science 'conversion courses' at universities outside of the UK?I really want to do this course but also experience life in a different country for a while!
Original post by KD22
So I guess no one knows of any Computer Science 'conversion courses' at universities outside of the UK?I really want to do this course but also experience life in a different country for a while!

There are a few in the US. Its just hard to find them because they come in all sorts of different names.
Did any of you apply for the industrial placement?
Reply 13
Original post by Incongruous
There are a few in the US. Its just hard to find them because they come in all sorts of different names.

Oh really, would you happen to know the name of any these courses? Thanks
Reply 14
Hello,

I am currently in the second year of my undergrad at Christ Church. Looking to do this course afterwards (I pretty much picked the wrong degree and its too late to change now!). I'm just wondering how you are finding it? I see a couple of you started last September. Is it intensive? What are your prospects afterwards?
Hey,

I'm a Kent undergrad atm doing BA History with a Year in Computing which has been awesome! I'm doing the MSc next year too as a conversion. What I like about the conversion course though is it is an MSc in Computer Science with a couple of different modules so when it comes to employability it won't say which we did. If the Year in Computing has been anything to go by it will be intensive and I would advice looking at codeacademy for some basic JavaScript which we were advised to do before we started the YinCo.

Quick Reply

Latest