The Student Room Group

AQA ISA i got a C is it possible to still get an A* overall

today my teacher told me that i got a C/D in my chemistry ISA as i got 31/50 I'm so angry about this as i really wanted an A* in chemistry but i can't re take as she's already sent them off to be moderated. so is it still possible to get an A* overall ?
Reply 1
I think its near impossible as a c/d would be around 60 UMS points. To get an A* you need 360 in total. So for each of the three papers you need to literally get full marks or drop about 2 or 3 marks so you can get 100 UMS in each paper. This will add up to the 360 needed but it is very difficult.
Reply 2
31/50 = 57UMS

Grade boundary for A* = 360UMS

303UMS needed for A*

Even if you get maximum UMS in each paper you are still 3 UMS short (about 2/3 marks) short of the A* boundary.
Impossible or extremely unlikely.
Reply 4
Original post by gregan
31/50 = 57UMS

303UMS needed for A*

Even if you get maximum UMS in each paper you are still 3 UMS short (about 2/3 marks) short of the A* boundary.

Do you know how much UMS 43 is?
Original post by stressedout123
today my teacher told me that i got a C/D in my chemistry ISA as i got 31/50 I'm so angry about this as i really wanted an A* in chemistry but i can't re take as she's already sent them off to be moderated. so is it still possible to get an A* overall ?

It is definitely possible, not impossible.
But, a lot of hard work and revision needs to be put in for each paper. According to last year's UMS conversions (similar to what it will be this year, but not exactly the same), you got 57 ums on the ISA, out of 100. So, (this is bad news), you will need basically 99/100 ums on each paper for an A* overall, which is not impossible! And, you need to hope that the grade boundaries are LOWER than last year!
Last year:
C1 - 99 ums was 58/60, 100 ums was 59
C2 - 99 ums for 59/60, 100 ums was 60/60
C3 - 100 ums for 44/60 which won't be too different this year!

Just do as well as you can on all of them!

Btw, you can look this up yourself on http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Reply 6
Original post by ibte10
Do you know how much UMS 43 is?

its 88 ums
44 is 90 ums as its the a* boundary
Reply 7
Original post by asox
its 88 ums
44 is 90 ums as its the a* boundary

So i just missed out on a A*...Damn!. Oh well as long as can get three secure A* then i should match the 360 UMS Points.
Reply 8
Original post by ibte10
So i just missed out on a A*...Damn!. Oh well as long as can get three secure A* then i should match the 360 UMS Points.

Yeah you'll easily do it because the raw mark grade boundaries aren't that high in reality - good luck (:
Original post by gregan
31/50 = 57UMS

303UMS needed for A*

how many ums points is needed for an A in total? if i can't get an A*i need to get an A
Reply 10
how many ums points is needed for an A in total? if i can't get an A*i need to get an A

320UMS is the boundary for A

Once you take off the ISA you need 263UMS

If you're doing the 3-paper course you would need 88UMS in each paper, which based on last year's grade boundaries is about 44/60 in bio, 48/60 in chem, 42/60 in physics

320/400 = A (UMS)

So, you would need 263/300 UMS on all the papers, taking away your ISA score, and presuming that the grade boundaries for the ISA are the same this year compared to last year.

You would need 87.67 UMS per paper, (88 UMS to be safe) for an A. Use the link I gave you before to see what raw mark 88 UMS is for each paper.

Quick Reply

Latest