The Student Room Group

Blue pen in exam?

Would your marks not be counted if you used a blue pen?

Scroll to see replies

Why not just stick to black pen (and pencil for some subjects) just to be safe?
[QUOTE=2016_GCSE;64731559]Would your marks not be counted if you used a blue pen?

no u can use blue or black pen
Reply 3
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
Why not just stick to black pen (and pencil for some subjects) just to be safe?

I do, But I was wondering if anyone here has used blue pen in exam and all went well.
It's not that marks would be deducted straight away simply because you used a blue pen, but rather that when your exam is scanned onto the computer and marked by the moderators, blue pen might not turn up. This would end up making your exam paper look blank or highly illegible, which would lose you marks.
yeah i used it everything went well no one told me that i couldn't use it
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I do, But I was wondering if anyone here has used blue pen in exam and all went well.

My friend wrote his whole statistics coursework in blue and all went well.
Its always been blue or black. It will show up just fine in a scanner as long as you are sensible and dont go for something like a very very light sky blue.
[QUOTE=george_c00per;64731705]It's not that marks would be deducted straight away simply because you used a blue pen, but rather that when your exam is scanned onto the computer and marked by the moderators, blue pen might not turn up. This would end up making your exam paper look blank or highly illegible, which would lose you marks.

no on the paper it says that u can use blue or black pen dont scare me =-O
Original post by shahida sulaiman
no on the paper it says that u can use blue or black pen dont scare me =-O

Every exam I've done so far recommends only dark blue or black pen. You basically need a colour which stands out against the page.
[QUOTE=george_c00per;64731857]Every exam I've done so far recommends only dark blue or black pen. You basically need a colour which stands out against the page.

blue is blue ;p dark or light
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
On a video I watched the other day once they scan them if they are illegible they can retrieve the paper and mark it manually if needs be, most usually if they are in blue ink
I use blue pen all the time BUT i have been shouted at by teachers for using blue. Blue has a lower chance of showing up on scanner than black, and since exams are scanned and sent off to examiners i wouldn't dream of taking such a risk.

If the blue ends up coming out faint and examiner won't bother trying hard to make out what you wrote and you could loose marks. DONT TAKE THE RISK

On exam papers it usually says black ball point pen
(edited 7 years ago)
blue is blue ;p dark or light

Just do it in black !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It saves the examiners lots of time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:
[QUOTE=gregan;64731909]On a video I watched the other day once they scan them if they are illegible they can retrieve the paper and mark it manually if needs be, most usually if they are in blue ink

ha!! look no worries do with blue(dark) :smile: or black
[QUOTE=george_c00per;64731983]Just do it in black !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It saves the examiners lots of time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

u sure care alot about the examiner ;p
I doubt it; using black pen is more preferred by exam boards so that your answers, once scanned, show up clearly for the examiners to mark. With blue pen your writing may not show up as well, so what they tend to do is instead manually mark the paper by hand rather than on a computer
u sure care alot about the examiner ;p

I shouldn't really, but it must be pretty frustrating if half of a student's exam is faded and/or unreadable :biggrin:

Couldn't think of anything else than marking hundreds of teenager's exams, it must be so tedious :colonhash:
[QUOTE=george_c00per;64732193]I shouldn't really, but it must be pretty frustrating if half of a student's exam is faded and/or unreadable :biggrin:

Couldn't think of anything else than marking hundreds of teenager's exams, it must be so tedious :colonhash:

ok fine whatever but i think if u really dont have black pen and its an emergency u can use blue :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest