The Student Room Group

vauxhall area-safe for student accommodation?

Hi guys,
I will be studying in london from september 16, and I booked at a private hall in vauxhall area(Spring mews,Fresh student living).After that I've heard that vauxhall area is dangerous for a 18 yr girl like me,since I will have to walk like 8 mins to the train station late in the afternoon and I am really concerned about this.

Can anyone who knows about the area tell me a bit about how safe it is and whether I should seek for a safer area to stay?(Im an international student so I dont know london very well)

Thanks xx
Reply 1
Original post by napa_16
Hi guys,
I will be studying in london from september 16, and I booked at a private hall in vauxhall area(Spring mews,Fresh student living).After that I've heard that vauxhall area is dangerous for a 18 yr girl like me,since I will have to walk like 8 mins to the train station late in the afternoon and I am really concerned about this.

Can anyone who knows about the area tell me a bit about how safe it is and whether I should seek for a safer area to stay?(Im an international student so I dont know london very well)

Thanks xx

Vauxhall is very safe, 10mn away from Pimlico and Victoria, still part of central London.
Reply 2
Original post by rbgpwer
Vauxhall is very safe, 10mn away from Pimlico and Victoria, still part of central London.

Hm, because I've heard that it might be dangerous at night, like many drunk people in the streets etc... but thanks
Reply 3
Original post by napa_16
Hm, because I've heard that it might be dangerous at night, like many drunk people in the streets etc... but thanks

Drunk people are everywhere, including very prestigious places such as picaddilly circus, Vauxhall is not particularily dangerous, it's a small community with not that many residential areas, I'd say its particularly quiet
Reply 4
Original post by rbgpwer
Drunk people are everywhere, including very prestigious places such as picaddilly circus, Vauxhall is not particularily dangerous, it's a small community with not that many residential areas, I'd say its particularly quiet

Do you know whether Waterloo is a nicer and safer area compared to Vauxhall?
Reply 5
Original post by napa_16
Do you know whether Waterloo is a nicer and safer area compared to Vauxhall?

Quite the same and close to each other. Around the same area. However waterloo slightly more central
Hi Napa,

Hoping we can help out a little - and reassure you that Vauxhall is a really nice area and has been noted as an up and coming location to live. Safety is extremely important for any student staying so we can definitely understand you wanting to know more about the area.

Vauxhall really does have a community feel to it, amenities are within walking distance of Spring Mews and there are many local events to attend to help those living in the area to settle in as well as the amazing events we hold on site. In terms of safety, Vauxhall is not highlighted as a dangerous area but as with anywhere you are we would always recommend students to be proactive in ensuring their own safety such as keeping to main roads, keeping your valuable items in bags or pockets when not needed, letting people know where you are going etc.

Check out these links which may provide further information:
http://www.vauxhallone.co.uk/
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/best-places-to-live-in-london-vauxhall-bermondsey-and-crystal-palace-make-prestigious-list-a3207686.html

Thanks
Beth @Fresh
Hey, I'm guessing you did end up picking Vauxhall as accomodation and I'm guesing this is for the KCL Atlas accomodation. If you did end up living there, would you personally say its dangerous? and also, is there any downsides to living there (e.g. noise pollution from the trains during the night)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending