The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not all autistic people deserve extra time.
Original post by morgan8002
Your title doesn't make much sense. You're asking why something belonging to an autistic gets extra time in exams.

Asperger's. I think you mean gets, A*s and his.

You don't know enough about him to make a judgement about what he needs. He might have different or more difficulties in an actual exam as opposed to classwork. He might only need it in his other subjects, but due to the system gets it in every exam.

That may be a serious issue in equality or it might not be. There are three legitimate reasons I can think of why a school might let some students take 5 A-levels and only let some take 4. These are GCSE grades, A-level choices(some combinations go better together) and whether the student applied to do 5. If you didn't get good enough grades, chose subjects that were very varied or didn't make the school aware that you wanted to do 5 then it's understandable.
If you get extra time in one subject then you get it in them all. It's an unfair system in that way.

This is unacceptable behaviour, but has nothing to do with exams.

He is literally the only student in the entirety of the Sixth Form that was allowed to take 5 A-Levels...
Some of you are quite obviously bitter. How pathetic.
Reply 83
Original post by Maths465Man
I have just started treatment for an ASD called Aspergers Syndrome. Even though it makes science and maths quite easy. It makes subjective subjects like english really difficult. Your frustrations are based on the fact that this person is really intelligent and gets extra time which you believe to be unfair however, something you don't understand is that for maths and science he will probably get top marks however for english he will (probably) struggle as for people like us, it's difficult to understand how people operate and so trying to understand the author is an almost impossible task. Then you have to consider that you only get an hour and half to figure this out. Extra time is necessary in this circumstance. However, you can't just give him extra time in 'some' exams, you have to give him extra time in all exams because that's not fair on him to only have extra time in some exams.

Finally, I would like to point out that exams aren't the end point of your life. You do your GCSE exams and then you do your A-Levels. Then, you may go to university. However, as soon as you get out of education, have you considered how difficult it will be for that person after he leaves school and he has to live in a world he doesn't understand?

Just something to think about.

i agree, i have a lot of trouble with all languages
If you learn how to do exams properly the extra time should be worthless to a "normal" individual.

No point complaining, it should be making barely any difference in this case.
People can still achieve higher grades with or without extra time.

That boy has a good reason to receive extra time, because of his disability.

Just focus on yourself and do not entertain his arrogance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really disagree with you the idea of anyone having extra time as a whole. Surely exams are a test of how well you can do in an allocated time so it's pretty silly. No one in the real world is going to give you extra time for jobs and stuff. Extra time spoils people so much and they should rid of it so it's fair and prepares them for the future with time management.
Rant over.
I hope I don't offend anybody but having autism is no excuse to act like an a-hole. From the description from the OP, I wouldn't like the guy myself. The autistic guy does not sound like he has a very pleasant personality. If someone knows they're smarter than me and brags about a high score, I'm going to dislike them.

The fact he has autism is pretty irrelevant. His personality needs improvement. The OP is not judging him based on his autism. He is judging him on his cocky attitude. People are not aloud to express dislike about a person because they have autism or different from the majority? Lol.
Original post by BantProliferator
He is literally the only student in the entirety of the Sixth Form that was allowed to take 5 A-Levels...

Okay. As I said before, it depends on the situation. Do you know anyone else who wanted to do 5?
I need extra time in exams and I'm much slower at understanding questions than most people but nobody has ever suggested this to me. :frown:

I'm always the last one in an exam who is rushing when everyone else has finished 10 minutes early. :frown:
Original post by Conservationofmass
a kid in my school, has aspergers or whatever it's called. He's more intelligent than anyone in the school, and retains information without doing hardly/much work and get's amazing grades. But the thing that gets me, is that he has an extra half an hour in every exam, despite him getting nearly 100 percent in everything and being predicted A*'s, he's excuse is that it takes his brain longer to function(which is bs he's quicker than everyone in class and is always on the last question when we leave). Then if he beats one of us in an exam, he gets really cocky and gloats about it. I feel this is pretty unfair.

Because our brains do take longer to function and aspergers often comes with other problems such as fine and gross motor skills which mean we write slower or even can't write using a pen at all.

I agree that he should not be gloating about getting amazing grades but bare in mind one of the hallmarks of aspergers is that they are not socially wired up thus he may not realise he is alienating you or anyone else by bragging.

(Source: I have aspergers myself)
You just reminded me. I get extra time in exams but when I did my A levels I didnt. I studied economics [at A level] and I often found myself struggling for time in exams. If only I had had extra exam time then.
Original post by SmileyVibe
I hope I don't offend anybody but having autism is no excuse to act like an a-hole. From the description from the OP, I wouldn't like the guy myself. The autistic guy does not sound like he has a very pleasant personality. If someone knows they're smarter than me and brags about a high score, I'm going to dislike them.

The fact he has autism is pretty irrelevant. His personality needs improvement. The OP is not judging him based on his autism. He is judging him on his cocky attitude. People are not aloud to express dislike about a person because they have autism or different from the majority? Lol.

One of the traits of autism and aspergers is that they are clueless as to when they are doing something considered socially inappropriate such as bragging or having bad personal hygiene. Please go and educate yourself on the autistic spectrum before calling people you don't know 'a-holes.'
Original post by alexs2602
You just reminded me. I get extra time in exams but when I did my A levels I didnt. I studied economics [at A level] and I often found myself struggling for time in exams. If only I had had extra exam time then.

Did your sixth form not let you apply for extra time? Mine did although bare in mind this was way back in 2010-2012
The assessment that gave me my extra time wasn't until after I had done my A levels. I did my A levels before you, too.
Why shouldn't I get extra time, I may forget things that may come back to me later...yeah he's a right c u next tuesday about it. thing is he's not like the other kid with aspergers that obviously needs it, like he has to have someone with him all the time and spasms, but this other kid is fine and only thing proper wrong is being socially awkward.

a kid in my school, has aspergers or whatever it's called. He's more intelligent than anyone in the school, and retains information without doing hardly/much work and get's amazing grades. But the thing that gets me, is that he has an extra half an hour in every exam, despite him getting nearly 100 percent in everything and being predicted A*'s, he's excuse is that it takes his brain longer to function(which is bs he's quicker than everyone in class and is always on the last question when we leave). Then if he beats one of us in an exam, he gets really cocky and gloats about it. I feel this is pretty unfair.

To answer OP's posed question about why people who are on the autism spectrum or have other communication and social disadvantages have extra time:

Attachment not found

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463005369.159981.jpg

It isn't something 'deserved.' It's something necessary so that they have an equal opportunity to do as well as everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why shouldn't I get extra time, I may forget things that may come back to me later...yeah he's a right c u next tuesday about it. thing is he's not like the other kid with aspergers that obviously needs it, like he has to have someone with him all the time and spasms, but this other kid is fine and only thing proper wrong is being socially awkward.

:facepalm: autism is a spectrum. Everything about this thread shows you clearly know next to nothing about it.
Original post by Clintbarton
Yes because obviously disabled people are all illiterate and will get poorer grades. What a disgustingly ignorant comment.

And obviously disabled people have a choice, don't they? On whether or not they want to be disabled. I mean, it's totally a choice. (This is sarcasm. I feel I must point this out because people on this thread seem incapable of comprehending simple things.)

What the hell is wrong with people on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See you werent able to explain your post.
Although I don't have autism or experience working with autistic people, the autistic boy's caretaker or teacher should help him improve his personality. Autism or not, they is always room for improvement. Do I call people I don't know a-holes in rl? No. Did I call him an a-hole? Yes. Would I dislike an autistic guy who makes me feel bad about my low scores in school? Yes. Its pretty normal reaction/feeling to a bragger. T

It has little to do with him being autistic and more with the way he cares himself when he succeeds. No offense, but I do not care if someone is a little different mentally. If I happen to find someone unlikable, I will not pretend I don't because they're a little different. If they are really viewed as equals then they are not protected from being disliked just like everyone else.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest