The Student Room Group

Economics AS Essay (18 Mark)

Could someone please mark my economics essay (AS OCR) out of 18 and give some pointers to how to improve thank you.

The question is:
Discuss the extent to which regulations alone can be used to correct the market failure associated with the sale of fast food.
IMG_4946.jpg

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

ucles sending.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
images ?
Original post by Synonym
images ?

Added images
Probably between 16 and 18, a very good answer but how long did it take you and did you use notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
woah there is definitely no need to write that much! I did just over a page for a 20 marker in an edexcel paper and got 19/20. A lot of what you've written may be unnecessary rambling that could cost time in the exam. How long did that take you to write?
Original post by aadil10
woah there is definitely no need to write that much! I did just over a page for a 20 marker in an edexcel paper and got 19/20. A lot of what you've written may be unnecessary rambling that could cost time in the exam. How long did that take you to write?

I completed the paper in 1 hour 30 but yea spent too long on the essay, any tips on how to make it more precise and what sort of stuff to miss out?
Original post by aadil10

Shutup you prick this is ocr not edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by willmatthews26
I completed the paper in 1 hour 30 but yea spent too long on the essay, any tips on how to make it more precise and what sort of stuff to miss out?

I'll check over it now, I was looking at first glance. Have you tried getting hold of a mark scheme? (if this was a past question).

I have a structure for longer questions however it's for edexcel so I'm not sure how different it will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdcEW9J4Bl8

Check out this guy's channel. I linked you to an OCR video. I got my structure from him.

*Edit: Mark Scheme attached
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/135204-mark-scheme-unit-f581-markets-in-action-june.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Shutup you prick this is ocr not edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

No need for unnecessary name-calling, please grow up.

It doesn't matter which exam board it is, there isn't a need to write so much for 18 marks worth of content.
Original post by aadil10

It doesn't matter which exam board it is, there isn't a need to write so much for 18 marks worth of content.

Yeh im sorry but you are wrong. For this exam board that is around the amount you need to write.
Original post by aadil10

Any ideas on roughly what the right amount of writing for a 18 marker then?
Any ideas on roughly what the right amount of writing for a 18
Around 2 sides of a4..perhaps 2 and a half?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any ideas on roughly what the right amount of writing for a 18 marker then?

Around 3 sides of a4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Tbh if you have time you should right that much if you want a solid 18 marker, i usually have time to write 3-4 pages and have time to spare so why not.
Does anyone have any tips for the exam?
Reply 15
In the Q about fast food, do they want you to talk about fast food as a demerit good or as a negative externality?
Do you talk about over consumption or over production? Think i did it completely wrong.. :/
Original post by f_p38
In the Q about fast food, do they want you to talk about fast food as a demerit good or as a negative externality?
Do you talk about over consumption or over production? Think i did it completely wrong.. :/

In the previous question it referred to it as a demerit good so i just carried it on from there. I think it was okay to talk about either or though.
Reply 17
In the previous question it referred to it as a demerit good so i just carried it on from there. I think it was okay to talk about either or though.

just checked the markscheme and both were fine phew! Do you think this one will be about regulations? thats what people are saying
Everyone's saying regulations but they might pull an OCR and make it on subsidies, the same as last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by martinnmartin
Everyone's saying regulations but they might pull an OCR and make it on subsidies, the same as last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh that would be surprising!

Quick Reply

Latest