The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foutre en L'air
Doing them all, yup!
I haven't sat any FM yet so I just need the normal for the A*

Just get a decent UMS like a C or B then smash the other modules for he A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I anyone else just quickly relearning all topics (refreshing it) and then using the physicsmathstutor booklets with past paper questions for each topic?
I anyone else just quickly relearning all topics (refreshing it) and then using the physicsmathstutor booklets with past paper questions for each topic?

I prefer to just smash through some past papers

Imo past papers is the best way to go about it... :dontknow:
Who else feels f****d for this so far?

Me lol. I've been struggling with M3 until last week, which I started to go through the book.
I love those booklet so much, sinxe it means I can just focus on my weak areas :tongue:
Could someone look at qu 2 on this paper:

https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3e1889c8e66b2.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWENTbktxdlk5dEU/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

Surely if the particle is moving and being accelerated towards the centre of the earth, there is no need for a negative sign. However the markscheme adds a negative sign which leads to mgR^2/x^2 = -ma
Original post by J.M.Keynes
Could someone look at qu 2 on this paper:

https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3e1889c8e66b2.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWENTbktxdlk5dEU/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

Surely if the particle is moving and being accelerated towards the centre of the earth, there is no need for a negative sign. However the markscheme adds a negative sign which leads to mgR^2/x^2 = -ma

Define x as positive the further away it is from earth define a in the same direction. I always do them this way and never get them wrong. Note a=-g at surface and not +g.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Define x as positive the further away it is from earth define a in the same direction. I always do them this way and never get them wrong. Note a=-g at surface and not +g.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I think it get it😀
Does anyone know whether we are allowed to draw forces on the diagrams they give us and then refer to them in the question or do we always have to draw our own diagrams
Original post by J.M.Keynes
Does anyone know whether we are allowed to draw forces on the diagrams they give us and then refer to them in the question or do we always have to draw our own diagrams

You can use the given diagram. Don't bother drawing a new one unless you really have to
Is this working acceptable? June '12 Q4b)

image 3.jpeg
Attachment not found

Tried to make it readable
(edited 7 years ago)
Also how do you prove the COM of a conical shape?
What unit does angular speed need to be in? Is it rad/s?
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Also how do you prove the COM of a conical shape?

Assuming that you mean a solid cone, use the standard formula for the volume of a solid, using the line y = rx/h

This gives the distance from the vertex.
Does anyone have any tips in getting an A in M3? So far I've managed to move from a U to a B in a week, but can't seem to get into the next grade :frown:
Original post by kkboyk
Does anyone have any tips in getting an A in M3? So far I've managed to move from a U to a B in a week, but can't seem to get into the next grade :frown:

If you understand the content, do as many papers as you can - so many of the questions are recycled year after year
Original post by samb1234
If you understand the content, do as many papers as you can - so many of the questions are recycled year after year

I'm planning on starting past papers from Jan 2002 tomorrow. Also how would you go about solving vertical circle questions in which a particle leaves the circle?
Original post by kkboyk
I'm planning on starting past papers from Jan 2002 tomorrow. Also how would you go about solving vertical circle questions in which a particle leaves the circle?

Leaves when R=0, then it's just a projectile question
Original post by kkboyk
Also how would you go about solving vertical circle questions in which a particle leaves the circle?

Assuming your reaction force/tension is in terms of an arbitrary angle, it's just T = 0 (when string goes slack - won't happen for a rod) or R = 0. June 13 and June 13 R is are good examples.

Could you do me a favour and tell me which ones between 2002 and 2005 are worth doing once you get started, if it's not too much trouble? :colondollar:
Original post by samb1234

How many papers u done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending