The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, lost my first account so made a new one :biggrin: And I will be giving C3 C4 and S1 this year (GCE) :smile: Hope it turns out good for all of us. Will be happy to help and to be helped. :smile:
Ayyy my boy Zubairrr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KINGYusuf
Ayyy my boy Zubairrr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man whats up? :smile:
Original post by KINGYusuf
Ayyy my boy Zubairrr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahha heeeey. :biggrin: how r you?
Can someone explain the integration of sin2ysiny (no squared)?

EDIT: I figured it out, 2/3 sin(cubed)y, with help from the mark scheme. But is the only way of integrating these type of questions by imagining differentials? Or is there another method I'm missing here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dohaeris

EDIT: I figured it out, 2/3 sin(cubed)y, with help from the mark scheme. But is the only way of integrating these type of questions by imagining differentials? Or is there another method I'm missing here?

That is the quickest way of doing this integral. You can also note that Cos(3y) = Cos(2y + y) = cos2ycosy - sin2ysiny, and cos(y) = cos(2y - y) = cos2ycosy + sin2ysiny, so sin2ysiny = (cosy - cos3y)/2, so the integral is (1/2)siny - (1/6)sin3y

This identity will be given in the pink formulae booklet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
That is the quickest way of doing this integral. You can also note that Cos(3y) = Cos(2y + y) = cos2ycosy - sin2ysiny, and cos(y) = cos(2y - y) = cos2ycosy + sin2ysiny, so sin2ysiny = (cosy - cos3y)/2, so the integral is (1/2)siny - (1/6)sin3y

Original post by usman.zubair
This identity will be given in the pink formulae booklet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the mark scheme, it can be solved by integration by parts too :/ Any idea on how to do it?
According to the mark scheme, it can be solved by integration by parts too :/ Any idea on how to do it?

Yeah it's like a "loop" kind of thing. Just take care to choose the different functions carefully so as not to get something that cancels out to 0 and doesn't tell you anything. I'd start by letting siny be the function you first integrate and sin2y the one you first leave the same.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah it's like a "loop" kind of thing. Just take care to choose the different functions carefully so as not to get something that cancels out to 0 and doesn't tell you anything. I'd start by letting siny be the function you first integrate and sin2y the one you first leave the same.

Thanks for the answers mate. I think I understand it now, though just doing the original testing for differentials is indeed the easiest method.
Thanks for the answers mate. I think I understand it now, though just doing the original testing for differentials is indeed the easiest method.

Yeah it is. The other methods are good for if you have something like a Sin3y or Sin4y in there, something you can't instantly just express in a more manageable way.
Top 3 hardest C3 papers to date and hardest C4 Papers
Original post by jamessmith15
Top 3 hardest C3 papers to date and hardest C4 Papers

Based on my scores the hardest C3 papers are:
June 2013
Jan 2014 (r)
June 14 (r)

Haven't done as many C4 papers yet, but the hardest that I've done so far is June 2007.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Based on my scores the hardest C3 papers are:
June 2013
Jan 2014 (r)
June 14 (r)

Damn i gotta try June 2013 soon, then :biggrin:
kinda new to this, but where are u guys in terms of preparation for c4 and c3 have u guys done all the papers ? What grades have u been getting so far? And when r u guys gonna so the Solomon ones
Hi, how would I find the domain for this question?
I understand that the domain of the inverse function is the range of the orginal function.

Im having difficulty finding the range

question 8A

https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by imran_
Hi, how would I find the domain for this question?
I understand that the domain of the inverse function is the range of the orginal function.

Im having difficulty finding the range

question 8A

https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Anyone???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you could try drawing a sketch. Sorry if that isn't helpful, it's just there's not much else to say without giving it away. Which I can do if you like..

What is the range of values that f(x) can take?

I'll get you started :tongue: 3 is... 3. It's there and it plays a part in the overall range of f(x) but it doesn't vary. So what's the range of the other term... and hence the range of the whole function?

In general, think about what happens when x gets very large, when x goes to 0 (from both directions) and when x gets very negative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending