The Student Room Group

Can't afford uni, low maintenance loan help?

Basically i live with both parents dad has a good job so my student maintenance loan entitlement is low £4000. I have a job but my loan doesn't cover accommodation esitmated £6500 for the year. There are 7 of us in the house all 18+ and are dependent on parents & one also goes uni.

My mom recently dropped some hours but only in within the last 4 months. Should they fill in the Current Year Assessment Form will it make a difference
Reply 1
Definitely get them to fill the form out, it means SFE can reassess your application and you may be entitled to more money.
Original post by electriclady
Basically i live with both parents dad has a good job so my student maintenance loan entitlement is low £4000. I have a job but my loan doesn't cover accommodation esitmated £6500 for the year. There are 7 of us in the house all 18+ and are dependent on parents & one also goes uni.

My mom recently dropped some hours but only in within the last 4 months. Should they fill in the Current Year Assessment Form will it make a difference

Three points to make
1) If your household income dropped by 15% or more then yes its worth getting a reassessment done, you should get a bit more money.
2) £6500 is a lot for accomodation, if you cant afford that you need to look at cheaper options- self catered and non ensuite for example.
3) Many students find that student finance doesn't cover their full costs and have to get a part time job, either during the long summers or when at uni or both.
Has your household income dropped by more than 15% ? If so fill out the form!

Also I get 4000 for my loan and I manage (I have three jobs) but it is doable x
Original post by jelly1000
Three points to make
1) If your household income dropped by 15% or more then yes its worth getting a reassessment done, you should get a bit more money.
2) £6500 is a lot for accomodation, if you cant afford that you need to look at cheaper options- self catered and non ensuite for example.
3) Many students find that student finance doesn't cover their full costs and have to get a part time job, either during the long summers or when at uni or both.

She says it has dropped by 15% but wasnt sure if 4 months was too short for it to be assessed. Yes it is, i want to live in the city centre as everything is close and i could get a transfer from my job to one 5mins away because I currently have to travel on the bus 40mins to work. I will get them to fill the form out see how it goes thankyou for your help :smile:
Original post by Jackieox
Has your household income dropped by more than 15% ? If so fill out the form!

Also I get 4000 for my loan and I manage (I have three jobs) but it is doable x

Will do now:smile: thankyou & 3 jobs wow! i can just about manage 1 now while at college lol, when i finish i will try get another job for the summer. Also I just want to know if u still find time for yourself working & being at uni?
Reply 6
Depending on where you live or going to uni there are always cheaper options available, they may not be the nicest though! I get full loan but I absolutely refuse point blank to pay more than £5,000 for accommodation, and even then that's at a push.

It'd honestly be worth trying to find a job while you're at uni, even something that partially contributes towards your rent. I've always admired people who are able to work 2-3 jobs and find time to do all of their work! I'd struggle big time.

You may also need proof that your mum dropped her hours, SFE usually ask for that sort of thing.

Hope you get sorted soon :smile:
Original post by elleay
Depending on where you live or going to uni there are always cheaper options available, they may not be the nicest though! I get full loan but I absolutely refuse point blank to pay more than £5,000 for accommodation, and even then that's at a push.

It'd honestly be worth trying to find a job while you're at uni, even something that partially contributes towards your rent. I've always admired people who are able to work 2-3 jobs and find time to do all of their work! I'd struggle big time.

You may also need proof that your mum dropped her hours, SFE usually ask for that sort of thing.

Hope you get sorted soon :smile:

I have found some cheaper ones but they're £6000, I already have a permanent job 12 hours a week. Once i finish college i will get another job during the summer to save up some money :smile:. She filled in the form and sending off today hopefully they will give me abit more. Thankyou for you help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending