The Student Room Group

is it okay for a boy to use self defence during a conflict with a girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zargabaath
That's called female privilege

Oh and another thing, I hate these threads because you dislike feminism and equal rights for the most part (true feminists would say it is okay for a man to hit back because it is equal), and then we touch up on females being violent and suddenly "YES, EQUAL RIGHTS, I WOULD SMASH HER FACE BECAUSE EQUAL RIGHTS! TAKE THAT FEMINISTS"

It's pathetic -_- like lets be honest, you most likely wouldn't.

Also I find it disgusting when I see women slapping men on TV and the fact that it is "acceptable" saddens me, but I'll stick to honestly and say if I saw a man punch a woman infront of me I'd feel uncomfortable, if I saw him restrain himself I would feel a lot more comfortable. A lot of people would feel that way so I'm not going to cover it up with "equal rights" bs.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No it's just the fact that violence is disturbing and stronger you are the more damage you can cause someone therefore it's incredibly disturbing to watch.

That's how people try to rationalise it yes, but it's an unspoken norm that a man hitting a woman is a massive social taboo and it's conditioned within us from childhood. If a large guy hit a smaller guy hardly anyone would take it as seriously as a the same guy hitting a woman of the same size.
Original post by Multitalented me
Just enough force so that she's not a threat basically.

For women, children and those likely to be a significantly lesser threat this is good practice. This is only a rule of thumb because in some cases a woman or a child can be a greater threat.

In other scenarios it's more complex. Disproportionate force, sometimes grossly can be justified against an aggressor. You should certainly aim to not use more force than is necessary but there's no perfect calculation of this even after the fact.

In more uncertain or equal scenarios there's no straight answer to what is just enough force to remove the threat. If seriously in doubt, it may be justified to bring all the force you have to bear. There's no law that says you have to put yourself at risk by concerning yourself with the health of the aggressor, in self defense, if you didn't escalate the situation to violence yourself nor made threats of violence the only person you have to think about is yourself and innocent bi-standers. Many people make the assumption that it is literally proportionate and equal force but that is not strictly true.

The law and the situations it relates are complex and although you have a stand your ground right, such dynamic and unpredictable situations are best avoided altogether.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's how people try to rationalise it yes, but it's an unspoken norm that a man hitting a woman is a massive social taboo and it's conditioned within us from childhood. If a large guy hit a smaller guy hardly anyone would take it as seriously as a the same guy hitting a woman of the same size.

Um yes they would. Haven't you heard the phrase "pick on someone your own size"?

If you see a large man hitting a small man, you instantly feel sadness and sympathy for the small man, instantly! So I don't know what you're on about...
Um yes they would. Haven't you heard the phrase "pick on someone your own size"?

If you see a large man hitting a small man, you instantly feel sadness and sympathy for the small man, instantly! So I don't know what you're on about...

Lol "pick on someone your own size" doesn't carry anywhere near the social weight as "men shouldn't hit women"
Lol "pick on someone your own size" doesn't carry anywhere near the social weight as "men shouldn't hit women"

Both are very uncomfortable situations.
Both are very uncomfortable situations.

Well yes i can agree with that :yep:
Original post by hxylxy
Fellow students, I am sick of girls that try to act big and start fights with boys, knowing full well that the boy is unlikely to retaliate because of the stigma with patrichal violence.

Watched a video today on a group of girls in America that started picking on a man on the subway. They threw insults at him, stole his hat and stepped on it. They had also began pushing him, shouting at how rude he was for not being quick enough on giving his seat up for a pregnant women. The video showed it all. Not once does this guy retaliate.

Tensions became high when he had said that they were making unnecessary noise on the bus and had walked away towards another seat. The girls followed him. One girl in particular got into his face and had slapped his head repeatedly and his face. No one once intervened. He retaliated and gave this girl one of the juiciest slap I had ever seen. That one slap got the whole subway on a frenzy. One passenger had defended the man whilst others criticised his action. The video ended with girl that had gotten slapped sitting on the chair whilst the boy was in an argument with another passenger.

This is what I don't understand. I am a female student. I do not condone public fighting but I do accept self defence. Girls all want equality but there are many girls that like to choose when equality can be used in certain situations. I believe in wholistic equality not equality whenever it suites me....

My saying goes, if you want to slap somebody, be ready to be slapped back...
What do you guys think about this situation and what are your views on the matter??

To the question in your title the answer is obviously yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
Quite simple. Retaliation is not a form of self-defence, I highly doubt it would stand up in court.

Right you've obviously never been hit or you're very passive
Most street fights don't go to court, the fighters run off and rinse themselves in their sinks
Also I find it disgusting when I see women slapping men on TV

Spoiler

**** equal rights and all that. I couldn't hit a woman.
Reply 51
Oh and another thing, I hate these threads because you dislike feminism and equal rights for the most part (true feminists would say it is okay for a man to hit back because it is equal), and then we touch up on females being violent and suddenly "YES, EQUAL RIGHTS, I WOULD SMASH HER FACE BECAUSE EQUAL RIGHTS! TAKE THAT FEMINISTS"

It's pathetic -_- like lets be honest, you most likely wouldn't.

Also I find it disgusting when I see women slapping men on TV and the fact that it is "acceptable" saddens me, but I'll stick to honestly and say if I saw a man punch a woman infront of me I'd feel uncomfortable, if I saw him restrain himself I would feel a lot more comfortable. A lot of people would feel that way so I'm not going to cover it up with "equal rights" bs.

People dislike feminism not equal rights the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Spoiler

Original post by joecphillips
People dislike feminism not equal rights the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Spoiler

"2 are not mutually exclusive" lol

Feminism itself is about gender equality, feminism the movement in the last wave seems to have strayed off a bit...but it is about equality regardless of some of the idiots that call themselves feminists.
Did not read already made my mind up before I opened it.

Everyone has the right to self defence but it should always be proportionate.

Having someone nudge past you then throwing them onto the train tracks in all the anger you built up against the opposite sex... Is not proportionate.
Reply 54

Feminism itself is about gender equality, feminism the movement in the last wave seems to have strayed off a bit...but it is about equality regardless of some of the idiots that call themselves feminists.

Feminism is concerned with female rights an equality movement has to be concerned with both the action demonstrate they are not and so does the definition Which says female rights

And I forgot to add in op yes it is but like all cases it depends on the circumstances surrounding it.
(edited 7 years ago)

"some idiots" - 90% of feminists
Original post by joecphillips
Feminism is concerned with female rights an equality movement has to be concerned with both the action demonstrate they are not and so does the definition Which says female rights

And I forgot to add in op yes it is but like all cases it depends on the circumstances surrounding it.

I have no idea what your talking about anymore, it didn't make sense.

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
"some idiots" - 90% of feminists

Yes tumblr feminists, Laci green feminists. -_-

But if you ask a normal moderate feminist anything, I severely doubt she is an idiot. :-)
Original post by hezzlington
**** equal rights and all that. I couldn't hit a woman.

But being violent back doesn't really demonstrate "equal rights", it just means that you're violent...
Of course it is. The only types of people that would disagree are those who were raised in very traditional backgrounds and are indoctrinated by stereotypes.
Reply 59
I have no idea what your talking about anymore, it didn't make sense.

Yes tumblr feminists, Laci green feminists. -_-

But if you ask a normal moderate feminist anything, I severely doubt she is an idiot. :-)

You cant really be an equality movement while ignoring issue's the other side has and are behind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending