The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Germanic / Hispanic Studies 2016

Hi anyone doing German and/or Hispanic Studies next year at Sheffield? I'm applying for the German and Hispanic Studies dual course.

I'm technically not going to be a fresher since I've been at Sheffield for 2 years already but I'm changing my course and going back to first year. Anyone needs any advice or wants to chat about the university feel free :smile: Looking forward to meeting some new classmates.
I'll hopefully being doing German with Dutch. :smile:

I'm familiar with Sheffield (more with the city than the uni) since I've already got friends who study there, and I'm familiar with university in general since I was a fresher elsewhere this year but dropped out. Can't wait to get back! :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by pizzanomics
I'll hopefully being doing German with Dutch. :smile:

I'm familiar with Sheffield (more with the city than the uni) since I've already got friends who study there, and I'm familiar with university in general since I was a fresher elsewhere this year but dropped out. Can't wait to get back! :smile:

Nice, the Dutch lecturers are lovely, I did Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced with them and I enjoyed them all. :smile: Feel free to ask me anything about the Dutch side. I'm looking forward to the new start!
Original post by Mieka
Nice, the Dutch lecturers are lovely, I did Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced with them and I enjoyed them all. :smile: Feel free to ask me anything about the Dutch side. I'm looking forward to the new start!

That's cool - I've heard nothing but positive things about the Dutch lecturers everywhere I've looked so I'm quite excited to meet them!

What's it like learning a new language from scratch in university, is it anything like school?
Reply 4
Hey :smile: I'm studying dual honours in languages (so do German and Dutch) and am at Sheffield in my third year so any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by anna__
Hey :smile: I'm studying dual honours in languages (so do German and Dutch) and am at Sheffield in my third year so any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Obvious question, but do you enjoy it? And where do you study/work in the Netherlands/Germany? I really want to do a teaching placement in Germany but I'm not sure if I can do one for only 6 months. :frown:
Reply 6
Obvious question, but do you enjoy it? And where do you study/work in the Netherlands/Germany? I really want to do a teaching placement in Germany but I'm not sure if I can do one for only 6 months. :frown:

I do German and economics with modules in Dutch actually, so I couldn't go to the NL. I did British Council (teaching) for the first half of my YA in the middle of no where hahaa but on the dutch border which was nice of them :smile: Now I am doing an internship in Bonn but live in Cologne. BC was definitely the better of the two.
You can do teaching for half a year either in first semester in Germany, or in second semester in Austria but only for 3 months.
As for enjoyment.. yes. I really love the language department. I really don't rate the economics department, they're not the friendliest bunch. The lecturer for beginners Dutch is incredible :smile:

Anymore questions throw them at me, and I'll probably see you at the DV events in September :biggrin:
Original post by anna__
I do German and economics with modules in Dutch actually, so I couldn't go to the NL. I did British Council (teaching) for the first half of my YA in the middle of no where hahaa but on the dutch border which was nice of them :smile: Now I am doing an internship in Bonn but live in Cologne. BC was definitely the better of the two.
You can do teaching for half a year either in first semester in Germany, or in second semester in Austria but only for 3 months.
As for enjoyment.. yes. I really love the language department. I really don't rate the economics department, they're not the friendliest bunch. The lecturer for beginners Dutch is incredible :smile:

Anymore questions throw them at me, and I'll probably see you at the DV events in September :biggrin:

Ah okay cool - how was it? I'd probably do it in my first semester if it means I can do it for 6 months! Did you end up where you chose? I'd reaaaaally like to try and get a placement in a specific part of Bavaria (not Munich) since I went on an exchange there so I'd like to be close to the family I stayed with. I know that's probably wishful thinking and obviously I'd be happy anywhere but it would be perfect if I could end up there. Where are you doing your internship?

Like I said in my other post, literally all I have read is that the Dutch lecturers are incredible so I am really excited to meet them and start the course. :P

Yeah, I'll be joining the German society, I'll point myself out if I remember. :biggrin: What sort of events does the society do? At my old uni the German society was a bit boring and didn't really do much...
Reply 8
Yeah do it ! ummm I didn't realise how competitve it would be and the demographics were, so I ended up in my third choice (Lower Saxony) in a tiny town despite requesting a city. BUT that did work to my advantage in many ways so I shan't complain :smile: I also preferred it there. haha! Bavaria and Berlin and the most requested (Berlin was my first choice), but good idea choosing to be away from Munich as you'll probably speak allllll English. You can also mention your exchange in your application. My internship is in Bonn but living in Cologne :smile:

haha yeees do itt! Ours does loads, unfrotunately I've missed out on lots due to econ having SO MANY mid term exams. Going to the german christmas market, its own sports teams, Blau Sein (sooooooo fun!), Currywurst and Corp etc... what uni were you at if you dont mind me asking?:smile:
Original post by anna__
Yeah do it ! ummm I didn't realise how competitve it would be and the demographics were, so I ended up in my third choice (Lower Saxony) in a tiny town despite requesting a city. BUT that did work to my advantage in many ways so I shan't complain :smile: I also preferred it there. haha! Bavaria and Berlin and the most requested (Berlin was my first choice), but good idea choosing to be away from Munich as you'll probably speak allllll English. You can also mention your exchange in your application. My internship is in Bonn but living in Cologne :smile:

haha yeees do itt! Ours does loads, unfrotunately I've missed out on lots due to econ having SO MANY mid term exams. Going to the german christmas market, its own sports teams, Blau Sein (sooooooo fun!), Currywurst and Corp etc... what uni were you at if you dont mind me asking?:smile:

Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading online (mostly on Third Year Abroad) and it seems like hardly anyone gets their first choice. :frown: I'd put Bavaria first, Baden-Württemberg second, then Schleswig-Holstein last (purely because it's next to Denmark.. easy trips to Copenhagen :biggrin:). Yeah I guess you probably end up starting to love where you end up living anyway, I doubt there's anywhere that's 'bad'. I'm hoping to spend the other 6 months studying abroad @ Utrecht University in the Netherlands though, so that should be cool. :smile: Obviously none of this even matters for a few years yet anyway, but I guess it's still good to have some kind of plan haha.

Ahhh that all sounds so good! Seems like your committee put a lot of effort into running things and getting people involved. I was at Loughborough (studying Sociology). We didn't have a German Soc so someone set it up this year which is probably why things were running a bit slow. It wasn't awful but it wasn't like other societies (which were a lot more like what the German Soc at Sheff sounds like). Loughborough doesn't have a languages department or run any language courses either so the society was quite small too and mostly filled with Erasmus students - not that that's a bad thing, it was just a bit quiet and awkward at the very first meeting since they were a lot older and more focused on studying. I've seen some of the pictures from the Sauerkraut Cup since I follow the department's Twitter account :tongue:
Reply 10
Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading online (mostly on Third Year Abroad) and it seems like hardly anyone gets their first choice. :frown: I'd put Bavaria first, Baden-Württemberg second, then Schleswig-Holstein last (purely because it's next to Denmark.. easy trips to Copenhagen :biggrin:). Yeah I guess you probably end up starting to love where you end up living anyway, I doubt there's anywhere that's 'bad'. I'm hoping to spend the other 6 months studying abroad @ Utrecht University in the Netherlands though, so that should be cool. :smile: Obviously none of this even matters for a few years yet anyway, but I guess it's still good to have some kind of plan haha.

Ahhh that all sounds so good! Seems like your committee put a lot of effort into running things and getting people involved. I was at Loughborough (studying Sociology). We didn't have a German Soc so someone set it up this year which is probably why things were running a bit slow. It wasn't awful but it wasn't like other societies (which were a lot more like what the German Soc at Sheff sounds like). Loughborough doesn't have a languages department or run any language courses either so the society was quite small too and mostly filled with Erasmus students - not that that's a bad thing, it was just a bit quiet and awkward at the very first meeting since they were a lot older and more focused on studying. I've seen some of the pictures from the Sauerkraut Cup since I follow the department's Twitter account :tongue:

Well if you'd like I can link you my blog in private message (although I desperatelz need to post SOMETHING about this semester, because I couldn't be bothered as I have been writing my deathly year abroad essay). Utrecht is gooooorgeous (another place mentioned on my blog)! I went there to visit a friend and fell in love with it! So nice, it's like a smaller and prettier version of Amsterdam. No a plan is good to have - my future plans keep falling apart in front of me, it's so sad :frown:

Oooh yeah the Sauerkraut is huge (not that I've ever been ha), but the commitee do put in soooo much effort. I absolutely love the department and committee and I'd say that it's one of the best around. Also the years really mingle with each other - like I know the final years and the current second years. I mean the only thing is that the final years are a little quieter obviously (well they were last year, the current ones still seem to go out a lot :biggrin:) hahaha!

I'm trying to think if theres anything else you need to know haha. Have you applied for accomodation yet? :biggrin:
Original post by anna__
Well if you'd like I can link you my blog in private message (although I desperatelz need to post SOMETHING about this semester, because I couldn't be bothered as I have been writing my deathly year abroad essay). Utrecht is gooooorgeous (another place mentioned on my blog)! I went there to visit a friend and fell in love with it! So nice, it's like a smaller and prettier version of Amsterdam. No a plan is good to have - my future plans keep falling apart in front of me, it's so sad :frown:

Oooh yeah the Sauerkraut is huge (not that I've ever been ha), but the commitee do put in soooo much effort. I absolutely love the department and committee and I'd say that it's one of the best around. Also the years really mingle with each other - like I know the final years and the current second years. I mean the only thing is that the final years are a little quieter obviously (well they were last year, the current ones still seem to go out a lot :biggrin:) hahaha!

I'm trying to think if theres anything else you need to know haha. Have you applied for accomodation yet? :biggrin:

Ahh if you wouldn't mind! I'd love to read it :biggrin: What even is the year abroad essay? Yeah Utrecht is such a cool city - I went travelling last summer and visited both Utrecht and Amsterdam and I'll be honest Utrecht was a million times better than Amsterdam. Kind of reminded me of Sheffield in some ways. they're both very underrated cities :smile:

That's good to hear, sounds like it's all a good laugh! I'd like to try get on the committee for something since I didn't manage it this year 🙄 That's cool too tbh, not many people interacted with other years at this year which was a bit strange haha.

Yep - applied for an ensuite in Endcliffe. Hopefully I should get it because I have an unconditional offer and was told I'd be allocated a room at the end of June/start of July :biggrin: What's your timetable like? Like where do you have most of your lectures and seminars? I really want to use the new Diamond building (even though it looks pretty ugly on the outside........ 😁)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
That's cool - I've heard nothing but positive things about the Dutch lecturers everywhere I've looked so I'm quite excited to meet them!

What's it like learning a new language from scratch in university, is it anything like school?

I'm not a good one to ask because I lived in the Netherlands before, but I basically re-learnt the language. It's a lot more intensive and fast paced than school. Mostly grammar and technical focus since it's academic study but there are also conversational classes.
Reply 13
Original post by Mieka
I'm not a good one to ask because I lived in the Netherlands before, but I basically re-learnt the language. It's a lot more intensive and fast paced than school. Mostly grammar and technical focus since it's academic study but there are also conversational classes.

haha but you can speak soooooooo much more Dutch than you could after 5 years of learning German or French.. it's great :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by anna__
haha but you can speak soooooooo much more Dutch than you could after 5 years of learning German or French.. it's great :smile:

haha but it's very colloquial Dutch! Even I found writing super hard :[ I didn't do so well in the Advanced group because writing was so difficult for me.
Reply 15
Original post by Mieka
haha but it's very colloquial Dutch! Even I found writing super hard :[ I didn't do so well in the Advanced group because writing was so difficult for me.

I actually find writing way easier - its so similar to German :P
Reply 16
Original post by anna__
I actually find writing way easier - its so similar to German :P

ahh even German is hard for me. I find spelling easier than in English but I'm not good at grammar in any language. I'm doing some extra modules in Chinese at university and I love it because they're grammar is a lot easier for me haha
Reply 17
Original post by Mieka
ahh even German is hard for me. I find spelling easier than in English but I'm not good at grammar in any language. I'm doing some extra modules in Chinese at university and I love it because they're grammar is a lot easier for me haha

I was learning Chinese on my year abroad actually :smile: ! But I found the word order was similar to Dutch! Are you in final year then?
Reply 18
Original post by anna__
I was learning Chinese on my year abroad actually :smile: ! But I found the word order was similar to Dutch! Are you in final year then?

I'm restarting! I was in Archaeology, now I'm doing German and Hispanic Studies. I did Dutch as my unrestricted and I really enjoyed it. :smile: what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending