The Student Room Group

Hey

I wanted to know if we can get into a good university with just IGCSE's. I did my IGCSE last year and I got;
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Art and Design A*
Physics A
Mathematics A
German B
English 1st Lang A
English Lit B

I did Cambridge IGCSE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sunethra
I wanted to know if we can get into a good university with just IGCSE's. I did my IGCSE last year and I got;
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Art and Design A*
Physics A
Mathematics A
German B
English 1st Lang A
English Lit B

I did Cambridge IGCSE.

Ignore the user above.

Those GCSEs would be fine for many medical schools. Some require a higher number of A*s (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, etc), but if you don't apply to those and the rest of your application is in order, you should stand a good chance of getting some interviews.

Spend some time going through each medical school's admissions policy so you can make sure you're applying in the smartest way possible :yy:
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Ignore the user above.

Those GCSEs would be fine for many medical schools. Some require a higher number of A*s (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, etc), but if you don't apply to those and the rest of your application is in order, you should stand a good chance of getting some interviews.

Spend some time going through each medical school's admissions policy so you can make sure you're applying in the smartest way possible :yy:

Thank you for the advice. I am sitting for my alevels now. I'm doing edexcel and not Cambridge this time. And since they say that Cambridge is tougher than edexcel because in Cambridge 90 and above is considered to be an A* which in not the same case in Edexcel because they have lower boundaries. So I was wondering if universities would be keen about the exam board that you did the exam with.

And yes, I ignored the user above.
Original post by Sunethra
Thank you for the advice. I am sitting for my alevels now. I'm doing edexcel and not Cambridge this time. And since they say that Cambridge is tougher than edexcel because in Cambridge 90 and above is considered to be an A* which in not the same case in Edexcel because they have lower boundaries. So I was wondering if universities would be keen about the exam board that you did the exam with.

And yes, I ignored the user above.

I don't think universities care about the exam board so long as it's still the right qualification.

I also thought A level grades were based on standardised UMS marks e.g. 480/600 = A, regardless of the exam board?
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
I don't think universities care about the exam board so long as it's still the right qualification.

I also thought A level grades were based on standardised UMS marks e.g. 480/600 = A, regardless of the exam board?

Cambridge is 90 and above is A*, 80 and above A,...etc. Edxcel on the otherhand is different, depending on how easy and tough the paper is I think they change the passing grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending