The Student Room Group

Is my car insured for a driving test?

On gov.uk, if you wanna take the test in your own car it must be "insured for a driving test (check with your insurance company)"
I have learner driver insurance covered over the period of my test- is this basically the same thing?
Original post by SWIMSHALLOW
On gov.uk, if you wanna take the test in your own car it must be "insured for a driving test (check with your insurance company)"
I have learner driver insurance covered over the period of my test- is this basically the same thing?

You have to check this with the insurance company. They will all have different policies on this and you need confirmation from the horse's mouth, not people on here who haven't seen the small print on your policy.
Reply 2
I had a look on the website and it's all covered- thanks for the reply!

Good. Always better to be safe than sorry with legal things.
Reply 4

But be aware, you almost certainly are NOT covered as soon as you pass your test. You won't be able to drive that car until you have a normal insurance policy (i.e. not a learner policy).
Original post by jneill
But be aware, you almost certainly are NOT covered as soon as you pass your test. You won't be able to drive that car until you have a normal insurance policy (i.e. not a learner policy).

Very good point.
Original post by jneill

Eh? Surely most policies cover the main driver knowing he/she is a learner but accepting that status is likely to change (and thereby improve the insurance risk). If I added a learner as a named driver to my policy I would not expect it to invalidate my use of the car and allow only the learner to drive.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
Eh? Surely most policies cover the main driver knowing he/she is a learner but accepting that status is likely to change (and thereby improve the insurance risk). If I added a learner as a named driver to my policy I would not expect it to invalidate my use of the car and allow only the learner to drive.

Learner, or provisional, policies (e.g. Marmalade) can sit on top of the normal insurance policy. They expire as soon the learner passes, and the original policy won't know anything about the former learner driver.

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Learner, or provisional, policies (e.g. Marmalade) can sit on top of the normal insurance policy. They expire as soon the learner passes, and the original policy won't know anything about the former learner driver.

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance

Ah! Of course. I hadn't considered the policy was a separate add-on one (and had forgotten they existed).

However, the best advice of all is that no driver should ever drive home after taking a driving test, whether or not they have passed. Their emotional state and ability to focus would be such that safe driving is impossible. I was certainly incapable of being in charge of dangerous machinery when I passed mine, and I wouldn't even have been capable of using the starter handle or lighting the acetylene lamps to lighten the winter gloom.
Reply 9
Ah! Of course. I hadn't considered the policy was a separate add-on one (and had forgotten they existed).

However, the best advice of all is that no driver should ever drive home after taking a driving test, whether or not they have passed. Their emotional state and ability to focus would be such that safe driving is impossible. I was certainly incapable of being in charge of dangerous machinery when I passed mine, and I wouldn't even have been capable of using the starter handle or lighting the acetylene lamps to lighten the winter gloom.

But you would have had your man to walk in front waving a flag. Surely that would have helped?

I drove myself home from hospital after two caesarians. You men are such wusses. (And yes, I did have my doctors' and insurance company's permission to do it. :tongue:)
Original post by jneill
But you would have had your man to walk in front waving a flag. Surely that would have helped?

hehe. Red flags went out long before driving tests came in.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I drove myself home from hospital after two caesarians. You men are such wusses. (And yes, I did have my doctors' and insurance company's permission to do it. :tongue:)

We are. Women have much higher pain thresholds, in general.

However, I was more concerned with the effects of shaking hands, buzzing in the head and the inability to concentrate than with pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending