The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ?

Has anybody already done an extended project qualification? I'd love to hear anyone's experiences/thoughts:smile:
Original post by BeccaHP
Has anybody already done an extended project qualification? I'd love to hear anyone's experiences/thoughts:smile:

Yes I've done it this year and got 43/45 (2 marks off an A* according to last yr :frown:
It's good if you're doing 3 subjects or are thinking of applying for competitive courses- I'm doing 4 subjects but want to do medicine so that's why I did it.

My school told us that depending on the university and grade you get in it; universities may alter their grade boundaries for students. E.G. From AAB to ABB providing you got an A/A* in the EPQ

Overall, it's not bad; It gets you into the framework of writing and reading mass amounts of information etc. Just make sure you pick a topic that you enjoy :smile:
Original post by Profanity
Yes I've done it this year and got 43/45 (2 marks off an A* according to last yr :frown:
It's good if you're doing 3 subjects or are thinking of applying for competitive courses- I'm doing 4 subjects but want to do medicine so that's why I did it.

My school told us that depending on the university and grade you get in it; universities may alter their grade boundaries for students. E.G. From AAB to ABB providing you got an A/A* in the EPQ

Overall, it's not bad; It gets you into the framework of writing and reading mass amounts of information etc. Just make sure you pick a topic that you enjoy :smile:

That is still a brilliant result! Well done:h:
Well I'm doing 3 at AS currently and am considering applying for law, so I'd like to do an EPQ although my school hasn't mentioned it to us at all. Did you find it v stressful? And what topic did you choose? I'd like mine to be literature based but also don't want it to be too linked with my English Literature A Level (apparently we cannot link to our a level subjects).
Original post by BeccaHP
Well I'm doing 3 at AS currently and am considering applying for law, so I'd like to do an EPQ although my school hasn't mentioned it to us at all. Did you find it v stressful? And what topic did you choose? I'd like mine to be literature based but also don't want it to be too linked with my English Literature A Level (apparently we cannot link to our a level subjects).

Thankyou! It was stressful at some points because I personally found it difficult to balance my 4 subjects along with the EPQ. A few of my friends applying for law did the EPQ and based it on ethics etc; I did mine on medication adherence (e.g. the over prescription of medications and its affects).

Honestly, the EPQ is pretty flexible, you can do it on pretty much anything as long as you can write 5,000 words/ form a presentation on it and justify why you did it. - Someone did it on the importance of Gerrard and Liverpool LOL. Just make sure you read widely; I had something like 43 references; the more you read, the higher the marks!
Reply 4
Original post by BeccaHP

Hi! I've done the EPQ this year (in yr13) and as a result, have no idea what the grade could possible be! I did mine based on Law because I'm more interested in Law (I applied for Law with Spanish and Spanish Law) and so mine was based on the Human Rights Act 1998 with a focus on the Article on the Freedom of Expression. I wrote a 5,000 word dissertation and my presentation went well I believe! In general, I think it is a worthwhile experience if you're someone who is good with balancing time, I dedicated my entire October half term and Christmas term to getting my EPQ done early so that I could be done with it and focus solely on my A-Levels. As a result, I never found it as stressful as people who decided to do it much later. I'm not sure if you're allowed to have the Project linked to a subject you already do, but I think if you're thinking about applying for law, you should do it law-based. I applied to the University of Sheffield (insurance) and they lowered my grade requirements to ABB with a B in the EPQ from AAB because my EPQ was tied to my course. So, I think if you want the extra help, look into some universities that value it highly and will possibly adapt the grades necessary to attend because you have it!

In general, I would recommend it - good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by britmj
Hi! I've done the EPQ this year (in yr13) and as a result, have no idea what the grade could possible be! I did mine based on Law because I'm more interested in Law (I applied for Law with Spanish and Spanish Law) and so mine was based on the Human Rights Act 1998 with a focus on the Article on the Freedom of Expression. I wrote a 5,000 word dissertation and my presentation went well I believe! In general, I think it is a worthwhile experience if you're someone who is good with balancing time, I dedicated my entire October half term and Christmas term to getting my EPQ done early so that I could be done with it and focus solely on my A-Levels. As a result, I never found it as stressful as people who decided to do it much later. I'm not sure if you're allowed to have the Project linked to a subject you already do, but I think if you're thinking about applying for law, you should do it law-based. I applied to the University of Sheffield (insurance) and they lowered my grade requirements to ABB with a B in the EPQ from AAB because my EPQ was tied to my course. So, I think if you want the extra help, look into some universities that value it highly and will possibly adapt the grades necessary to attend because you have it!

In general, I would recommend it - good luck!

Thank you so much! This was really helpful and you've quite convinced me to do it:h:
Reply 6
Original post by BeccaHP
Thank you so much! This was really helpful and you've quite convinced me to do it:h:

That's great - good luck with it!

Quick Reply

Latest