The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookiemunch12
How is everyone finding the specimen papers?

I did pretty badly on the multiple choice paper but really well on the depth! I'm not really a fan of the breadth style of question tbh. What did you think of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said it earlier in the thread but if anyone missed it, I am willing to help anyone who is stuck/ needs some help.
Original post by alfmeister
I said it earlier in the thread but if anyone missed it, I am willing to help anyone who is stuck/ needs some help.

Got any way to help on remembering all the different ions tests?

My teacher's a marker for OCR and he thinks the majority of the exam (at least Depth) will be evaluative knowledge of testing and experiments so looking at graphs and writing methods etc. 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clintbarton
Got any way to help on remembering all the different ions tests?

My teacher's a marker for OCR and he thinks the majority of the exam (at least Depth) will be evaluative knowledge of testing and experiments so looking at graphs and writing methods etc. 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it anything in particular you need help with about them or just the topic in general?

As I find that knowing the sequence of tests help remember them. Carbonates, then sulfates, then halides.
Is it anything in particular you need help with about them or just the topic in general?

As I find that knowing the sequence of tests help remember them. Carbonates, then sulfates, then halides.

I understand it all. Just struggle to find a method to remember the conditions and reagents for specific ion tests. Did a specimen and a question was worth 8 marks for ion testing. 🙄🙄
I understand it all. Just struggle to find a method to remember the conditions and reagents for specific ion tests. Did a specimen and a question was worth 8 marks for ion testing. 🙄🙄

Oh I see, such as using nitric acid before adding silver nitrate? I think I remember that question, the thing is that most exam boards will use a question explaining the method of an experiment and it just happens that a long answer question for the tests for ions is well suited to our specification
Oh I see, such as using nitric acid before adding silver nitrate? I think I remember that question, the thing is that most exam boards will use a question explaining the method of an experiment and it just happens that a long answer question for the tests for ions is well suited to our specification

Yeah I'm looking over the stuff now I think I'll be okay, just remembering the bloody order 🙄🙄

I really really struggle with enthalpy change diagrams. I understand the maths, most of the time, and the theory of its the same backwards forwards, but I don't understand the difference between formation and combustion or any of the diagrams and the different facing arrows because I was in South Africa so missed the lesson and my teacher is useless.

Any tips/useful notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm looking over the stuff now I think I'll be okay, just remembering the bloody order 🙄🙄

I really really struggle with enthalpy change diagrams. I understand the maths, most of the time, and the theory of its the same backwards forwards, but I don't understand the difference between formation and combustion or any of the diagrams and the different facing arrows because I was in South Africa so missed the lesson and my teacher is useless.

Any tips/useful notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you referring to Hess' Law and Hess' cycles? (Enthalpy change from an indirect route)
Are you referring to Hess' Law and Hess' cycles? (Enthalpy change from an indirect route)

Yes! Sorry I'm not all that clued up about it. I just glossed over it in revision and keep saying that I'll go back to it but I never do 🙄🙄🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! Sorry I'm not all that clued up about it. I just glossed over it in revision and keep saying that I'll go back to it but I never do 🙄🙄🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, Ill draw out a diagram to try and help you.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I only have time to do enthalpy change of formation but I'll do combustion by Thursday for you.

Quick note, be careful when using negative signs and make sure you subtract the value when going against the direction of the arrow.
Does anyone have some good resources for Hess' Law? Don't get it with my method, would like to know it from fresh.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Try taking a look at this picture and the previous picture I posted above your comment and ask any questions if you don't understand.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Try taking a look at this picture and the previous picture I posted above your comment and ask any questions if you don't understand.

Do you have a sample answer for the 6 mark questions on the depth specimen paper. I have no clue how to answer it. it's question 4a and 4c.

Please help me i have no idea where to start.
Also does anyone know about the released practice papers for the 2015 specification. I can't find them.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-chemistry/ocr-a-paper-2-as/
Original post by lovelyqueen
Do you have a sample answer for the 6 mark questions on the depth specimen paper. I have no clue how to answer it. it's question 4a and 4c.

Please help me i have no idea where to start.
Also does anyone know about the released practice papers for the 2015 specification. I can't find them.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-chemistry/ocr-a-paper-2-as/

I don't have a sample answer but I'll try writing one out now if you
I don't have a sample answer but I'll try writing one out now if you

Thank you so much, i am still struggling with those questions.

Thank you once again
1463072337979.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look at that and see what you think, see what you don't understand and anything you missed out in your answer.
1463072337979.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look at that and see what you think, see what you don't understand and anything you missed out in your answer.

Thank you this is really helpful. I didn't know how to structure the answer and the order of the tests. I get it now!

Do you think you could answer 4c for me i am struggling to get the long mark questions right.

Thank you for your time and help
I'll take a look later as I'm going for dinner in a bit but will reply tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll take a look later as I'm going for dinner in a bit but will reply tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is fine.Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending