The Student Room Group

National 5 Maths Exam 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Angle90
Does anyone remember what they got for the vectors question in paper 2?

Paper 1 did seem trickier than paper 2 but overall they were good papers imo. Vector question got me hahhah i wasn't sure it B was (8,4,0) or (7,4,0) then i got like square root 13 for the AV one. :frown: but people were getting 7

This was paper 1 btw sorry. paper 2 was v-u
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by A+Hunter
For part b in paper 1 on the last question, I think I wasted 2 pages trying to prove it was x^2-2x-8 lol.

I don't know if it's right, But I calculated the area for the rectangle and got something like 2x^2+17x+8

Then the area for the triangle - This one was a bit weird, But I ended up with 3x^2+15x

Then I equated them together so the equation looked something like this:
2x^2 + 17x + 8 = 3x^2 + 15x

Then I moved everything to right and equated it to zero, so like this:
3x^2 + 15x -2x^2 -17x - 8 = 0

Then simplified and got:
x^2 - 2x - 8 = 0

thats what i did as well!! what a relief hahaha, a lot of people in my year just factorised and replaced the value of x on the equation and no one did the same as me so thank heavens!
How many marks was the question that you had to calculate the length in the xyz diagram worth? I ended up with like 3 root 5 or something lol
Original post by yeolk
thats what i did as well!! what a relief hahaha, a lot of people in my year just factorised and replaced the value of x on the equation and no one did the same as me so thank heavens!

Thank God. And then what did you do for part c?
Reply 24
Original post by ___Sophie___
How many marks was the question that you had to calculate the length in the xyz diagram worth? I ended up with like 3 root 5 or something lol

3 or 4, i think

how did you get 3 root 5? lol
did you use the co-ordinates as your lengths or something?
Original post by (bryn)
3 or 4, i think

how did you get 3 root 5? lol
did you use the co-ordinates as your lengths or something?

Can't really remember which numbers I used but I did use Pythagoras
Reply 26
I got 7 for the length, anyone?
I found Paper 1 so difficult, I think it has ruined my chances of getting an A which is unfair because I put many hours into my maths revision. I even got an A in my prelim, thanks SQA :frown:
How did everyone get on with the graph?

Did you only have to find the turning point and the y - intercept? Then just plot and draw? Or did you have to find the roots as well?
How did everyone get on with the graph?

Did you only have to find the turning point and the y - intercept? Then just plot and draw? Or did you have to find the roots as well?

Yeah just them as there was no real roots, For the y intercept just substitute 0 in the x positions of the equation and for the T.P you just read the information they give you.

I think I got (0,10) for y-intercept and (3,1) for T.p but I dont remember
Original post by Ethan100
Yeah just them as there was no real roots, For the y intercept just substitute 0 in the x positions of the equation and for the T.P you just read the information they give you.

I think I got (0,10) for y-intercept and (3,1) for T.p but I dont remember

Same! That's exactly what I got!
Reply 32

honestly, this happens every year! so much so that people are thinking that teens are "dumbing" down. There's really no need for a petition because they determine it by the overall marks people get so....:colonhash:
Same! That's exactly what I got!

Hahaha, nice

I think that was the only question I was able to do correctly in paper 1.
Someone in my school left out 15 minutes after the exam started (paper1) because he had no idea what to do :P
Original post by Ethan100
Hahaha, nice

I think that was the only question I was able to do correctly in paper 1.
Someone in my school left out 15 minutes after the exam started (paper1) because he had no idea what to do :P

Lol, same here, people just started to walk out and give up lool
Reply 35
What did everyone get for the area sector?
Original post by Jay431
What did everyone get for the area sector?

I messed up :frown:

The answer was 157, But I got 15.70 Because I multiplied it out wrong :frown:
Reply 37
I messed up :frown:

The answer was 157, But I got 15.70 Because I multiplied it out wrong :frown:

I screwed up as well lol
Original post by Jay431
I screwed up as well lol

I definitely got the final answer wrong but hoping to get a few follow through marks.
Reply 39
Original post by Jay431
I screwed up as well lol

ditto ! got over 1000 :biggrin: i was like thast no right, but then gave up and put that down. Can anyone help me on the vector question? the AV one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending