The Student Room Group

How closely do examiners stick to the mark scheme?

Hi, I'm new so not sure if I'm posting in the right place! My main form of revision is copying out Bitesize notes then just doing every past paper I can find; I've been marking them myself because I have a highlighting scheme that really helps me memorise, but I'm not sure if I've been too lenient with my marking.

For example, if the question was 'What effect does oestrogen have on the female reproduction cycle' (AQA B1 June 2015), and I put 'stops the production of FSH', but the mark scheme states, 'inhibits follicle stimulating hormone / FSH procution' would I get the mark or not?

I started noticing that they often state synonyms with '/' between as alternate options (e.g. 'release / secrete / produce'), when I had been assuming that synonyms, or answers near enough to the mark scheme (so that it is clear the candidate understands, but perhaps hasn't used the exact specified wording, or has used the correct wording in a different order) were fine.

Sorry this got quite lengthy, I just really need to know, or else I haven't been doing as well as I thought I had!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CaptErin
Hi, I'm new so not sure if I'm posting in the right place! My main form of revision is copying out Bitesize notes then just doing every past paper I can find; I've been marking them myself because I have a highlighting scheme that really helps me memorise, but I'm not sure if I've been too lenient with my marking.

For example, if the question was 'What effect does oestrogen have on the female reproduction cycle' (AQA B1 June 2015), and I put 'stops the production of FSH', but the mark scheme states, 'inhibits follicle stimulating hormone / FSH procution' would I get the mark or not?

I started noticing that they often state synonyms with '/' between as alternate options (e.g. 'release / secrete / produce'), when I had been assuming that synonyms, or answers near enough to the mark scheme (so that it is clear the candidate understands, but perhaps hasn't used the exact specified wording, or has used the correct wording in a different order) were fine.

Sorry this got quite lengthy, I just really need to know, or else I haven't been doing as well as I thought I had!

Well it's slightly wrong, as you're saying 'Stop'. Inhibit in this context, simply means discouraging (slow down?) the releasing of a certain hormone by the pituitary gland, in this case, the Follicle Stimulating Hormone.
They'd be fairly lenient, but since you have the mark scheme, it's better to note the words they prefer if a question like that comes up. GCSE they're likely to be a bit more lenient, but better to be safe than sorry! They'd probably give the mark anyway, unless it explicitly says in the mark scheme IGNORE or 'do not credit'
Reply 3
Original post by vxrz
Well it's slightly wrong, as you're saying 'Stop'. Inhibit in this context, simply means discouraging (slow down?) the releasing of a certain hormone by the pituitary gland, in this case, the Follicle Stimulating Hormone.

Ah, I see - so synonyms of inhibit, maybe even 'slow down' itself, would be acceptable? Thanks for your help, I'm just realising how specific they really are!
they do stick to the mark scheme, but if you have an answer that's close you will get Benefit Of the Doubt mark, or if its not close, they will have to contact the main exam board to verify

Quick Reply

Latest