The Student Room Group

CIE chemistry A level paper 4 variant 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wallflower73
nah nah the one where you had to write an expression, units and later find the partial pressure for the two compounds

You must have done a different variant bc variant 2 had no Kp
Original post by Demaciaaa
What is the unit of Kp in that question? I wrote atm^2

I don't remember there being a Kp question!! @__@ But there was a Kc question afaik and if I remember correctly I wrote mol^5dm^-15
Original post by Wallflower73
nah nah the one where you had to write an expression, units and later find the partial pressure for the two compounds

You must have done a different variant: variant 2 had no Kp, but a lot of Kstab
Original post by andysalad
One of the three had no chlorine; the other two were 2) CH3CHCl-R-CO2H and 3) CH3-R-CHClCO2H. Exact position of chlorine was probably different to what I said but essentially the smaller distance of the chlorine from the oxygen weakened the strength of the O-H bond making the 3rd one more acidic.

Correct :biggrin:
1. Everyone said hydrogen bonding.. I was like the only one who said ion-dipole interactions.. Crud.. xD
2. Yap.. Same. (water vapour at first, brown gas in the end)
3. Now, this is the thing.. I felt that the enthalpy change would JUST be the same because HCl and HNO3 both dissociate almost fully in water and it would leave almost "no effect." That is if I articulated well. All I wrote in the paper was that with the two acids, the ionic equation would still be about the same so.. Again crud..
4. The only thing I said was that bidentate ligands were more stable (this is the damn conclusion).. I also said the products are energetically more stable than the reactants (also conclusion instead of explanation).. After searching, I found out it was possibly because there are more moles on the products in equilibrium II. That level of analysis is crazy for just a one mark question.. xD
5. My concentration was too big. I think I got 7 mol dm-3 or something. Way too much to dilute a 1 x 10^-4 mol dm-3 to a 1 x 10^-7 mol dm-3. I just used random "initial concentration, reacting concentration, equilibrium concentration" thing and everything just got weird..
6. I said one of them was more acidic because one weakens the -OH bond more because one alkyl group is more electron-donating, so the the electrons are pulled more toward the C=O bond and make a more delocalised strucutre, less H+ blah blah blah
7. I have no clue. I wrote CH3NH2 + H+ -> CH3NH3+
CH3NH3Cl -> CH3NH3+ + Cl-.I'm way off from you guys..

In conclusion, shoot.
Original post by jessedoell
You must have done a different variant bc variant 2 had no Kp

omg I just realised that I did 41 lol
Original post by jboentoro
You must have done a different variant: variant 2 had no Kp, but a lot of Kstab

yep! i did variant 41 i just remembered
What did you guys write for the voltage of Ag+/Ag and Fe2+/Fe3+?
What did you guys write for the voltage of Ag+/Ag and Fe2+/Fe3+?

Didn't it ask for the cell voltage between Ag+/Ag and the standard hydrogen electrode?
Original post by Dohaeris
Didn't it ask for the cell voltage between Ag+/Ag and the standard hydrogen electrode?

I remeber it asked you to write an equation between Ag+/Ag and Fe3+/Fe2+ and calculate the voltage, I wrote 0.03V which seems possible but that's what I read from data booklet
I remeber it asked you to write an equation between Ag+/Ag and Fe3+/Fe2+ and calculate the voltage, I wrote 0.03V which seems possible but that's what I read from data booklet

Variant 42?
Original post by Dohaeris
Variant 42?

I did variant 1:frown:
I did variant 1:frown:

Ah, I guess that's why then.

Quick Reply

Latest