The Student Room Group

Exams and revision

I've been feeling depressed for a few months now and I'm finding it really hard to start revision for my A2 exams. I feel so stressed and drained by the end of the school day/week that I can't force myself to do anything productive. I've also been feeling extremely unfocused so even when I'm in lessons working I don't think anything is going into my brain.
Does anyone have any tips? It's all feeling a bit impossible at the moment.
Maybe you should go see a GP? Perhaps antidepressants can help.
Not sure if I have any tips... But I can assure you that you're not alone. I'm doing my AS exams, and have been feeling exactly the same way. I try and try, but I can never focus... I did well in my GCSEs, but now it's like my brain has stopped working, and can't take anymore. I'm constantly tired, and feel as if I could just sleep forever (however this could be due to late nights, as I'm in boarding and my roommate likes to go to bed late, usually around 12). And then there's the sheer volume of work that I have to get through, and really don't have a clue where to start.

My teachers seem to have faith in me, which is nice to know, they can see something in me that I can't at the moment. In terms of revision, I've been watching YouTube videos and taking notes from them.... That way there's someone talking at me, I'm not completely independent.
I've left it all a bit too late, and there are somethings that I know I won't be able to learn in time, but we have to make the best of it. The worst part for me will be that when my results come out, I'll know that I didn't try my best, and I'll regret it... But at the time/right now, I just can't!

Just remember, whatever happens, it WILL all be okay in the end, even if you delay your plans for next year and retake your A levels. I don't really know what to say, apart from that I really can relate to your situation right now. I hope you manage to to okay, but remember it's not the end of the world if you don't, and nobody is going to think any less of you (and if they do, then perhaps they're not worth knowing) grades don't define you. Good luck xx ☺️
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed

I went to see my GP about how I was feeling (the same as you... Unmotivated, tired). And she asked when I felt like this, just when I had to do work, or outside when doing things I enjoy other than work. I told her just when I do work... And she said that it wasn't depression or anything then (which was a bit of a relief). But I board, so never leave the school, or do any of my hobbies since I came here. In the holidays, I can never do anything I really enjoy because I just sit there feeling guilty at how I'm not doing revision. So I suppose I do feel like this all the time, because my whole life is just school.
Original post by Skipper12345
I went to see my GP about how I was feeling (the same as you... Unmotivated, tired). And she asked when I felt like this, just when I had to do work, or outside when doing things I enjoy other than work. I told her just when I do work... And she said that it wasn't depression or anything then (which was a bit of a relief). But I board, so never leave the school, or do any of my hobbies since I came here. In the holidays, I can never do anything I really enjoy because I just sit there feeling guilty at how I'm not doing revision. So I suppose I do feel like this all the time, because my whole life is just school.

I've been boarding for 4 years and I can understand it does get boring at school, perhaps picking up a new hobby or sport can help? Boarding life isn't just about school :smile: Alot of the time feeling down can be solved by setting yourself goals, so that you can work towards something instead of aimlessly passing time.
I haven't done any hobby since my last world championship event before a levels, I have worked during games and worked every other time. I work an 18 hour day but still can't get my ancient history work done lol :/
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your replies

I know it's a bad excuse but the idea of going to a GP and talking with a professional really scares me. I have trouble leaving the house on my own unless I have to (for college, etc.), and I feel like I couldn't (which sounds silly).

Original post by Skipper12345
In terms of revision, I've been watching YouTube videos and taking notes from them.... That way there's someone talking at me, I'm not completely independent.
I don't really know what to say, apart from that I really can relate to your situation right now.

Thank you for your message, I'll give the youtube videos a go. We'll get there
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's a bad excuse but the idea of going to a GP and talking with a professional really scares me. I have trouble leaving the house on my own unless I have to (for college, etc.), and I feel like I couldn't (which sounds silly).

Would you be more comfortable if you went with someone you trust (good friend/relative)? Visiting a GP/professional could really help you turn your life around :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been feeling depressed for a few months now and I'm finding it really hard to start revision for my A2 exams. I feel so stressed and drained by the end of the school day/week that I can't force myself to do anything productive. I've also been feeling extremely unfocused so even when I'm in lessons working I don't think anything is going into my brain.
Does anyone have any tips? It's all feeling a bit impossible at the moment.

Ignore it, thats what I do and think of the future, try to fix it at the same time so you improve.
Would you be more comfortable if you went with someone you trust (good friend/relative)? Visiting a GP/professional could really help you turn your life around :smile:

Just had a thought, something that sort of helped me cope with GCSEs, have you every heard of Kooth.com , it's free and anonomous and you're able to chat to councillors, who are all very friendly and helpful. I really do recommend that you give it a try!
School really tires me out too and exacerbates my mental health, so I've been on study leave since April even though my A2s don't start until June. Maybe you can ask for something similar? I only went to three lessons this week, it makes so much difference

Quick Reply

Latest