The Student Room Group

Started going to the gym but i'm SO unfit

I try going running on the treadmill but I'm tired in a couple of minutes lol.

Anyone have any advice on how to slowly build up?
Just keep doing it and do it in small intervals on the treadmill. Say run for 5 min then walk for 1 or do cycling at your max for 1 minute intervals is a good way to build up fitness.
Original post by Random.guy
Just keep doing it and do it in small intervals on the treadmill. Say run for 5 min then walk for 1 or do cycling at your max for 1 minute intervals is a good way to build up fitness.

Thanks I will try this
Reply 3
I struggled so much when I first started gym classes and I felt like the idiot of the class!
But it's all about progression, and commitment. As long as you keep going at it, you will be so much better without you even realizing!
Looking back on my fitness levels since I started the gym, I don't even know the point where I went from being unfit to being super fit! And its such a great feeling once you get over the first bump. I mean, I couldn't even run for 10 minutes on a treadmill, and now a year and a half later and I can squat my own body weight??? You will get such a good feeling once you achieve a few small goals and then it becomes addictive!
Reply 4
Treadmill running is difficult so I totally understand! I'm still building myself up now because I'm so rubbish at running, but interval training is the way to go about it. It makes you run in short bursts and you recover by walking it out so you're always active. Intervals can start from 1 minute and recovery can be from 2-5 minutes. Build the intervals up more once you feel ready :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couch to 5k
listen to some sick music when u do it and youll get pumped up
Reply 7
Try to combine cardio with weights. If you only use the treadmill, only one part of your body is exercised. In order to get the best results during your session, drink water before and after training so that you stay hydrated:smile:
Ah this was me back in October but I kept going regardless and I'm so glad I did!
Back when I first started going I couldn't last on the treadmill at all - I could probably make it for 3 minutes max at a speed of 7km/h
Now me and a friend sometimes do a mile and a half and I can keep going for the whole thing (takes me the best part of 20 minutes but I don't stop!!)
Its all about baby steps :smile:
Progress won't come quickly but it will come if you keep going and gradually increasing the amount you do as your body adapts to the demands (which it will do)
Start slow. Walk at a steady pace and build up from there. YOU CAN DO IT!
Original post by davidguettafan
I try going running on the treadmill but I'm tired in a couple of minutes lol.

Anyone have any advice on how to slowly build up?

Hey don't worry about it, this is how I built it up:
1 minute gentle jog, 1 minute walk - do this for a set of ten minutes to start with
Next time: either do 1 minute gentle jog and 1 minute walk and do it for twenty minutes OR reduce your walking time - whatever your feeling bro
Gradually increase your jogging time. I reached a point at 10 minutes where I could just carry on and then progress is rapid :smile:
Good luck, you'll nail it!

Quick Reply

Latest