The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Economics F585 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hyjacked
I'm pretty sure that my teacher said that remittances aren't in the specification so they can't ask us a question directly about it

They can ask whether remittances promote development and reduce poverty.
When I asked a vague question he threatened me because of legalities claiming he had a patent because he assumed I wanted the resources without paying for it
Original post by juventina1897
Hi, does anyone have the econplusdal resources for this year? deseperately in need of help!
I'm pretty sure that my teacher said that remittances aren't in the specification so they can't ask us a question directly about it

it should come up, it is just a concept that is applicable to the topics covered in A2. I would NOT rely on remittances not coming. You should practice questions on remittances
Original post by keynes24
it should come up, it is just a concept that is applicable to the topics covered in A2. I would NOT rely on remittances not coming. You should practice questions on remittances

I'm not saying that it won't come up at all, but the questions may be more general giving you the opportunity to talk about it rather than directly referencing them, with the possibility talk you could talk about something else.
Thanks. It is very useful but im struggling to visualise what a complete answer should like or how to structure it.

you need to try to answer the question. Sample answers are good but you should try to develop your economic analysis but doing it yourself. I am sure people here (including myself) can help fill in any gaps if any
I'm not saying that it won't come up at all, but the questions may be more general giving you the opportunity to talk about it rather than directly referencing them, with the possibility talk you could talk about something else.

the impact of remittances on development, the impact of remittances on poverty or economic growth. It could also be included as part of the BoP with direct reference to it as part of your chain of reasoning
The APT is very detailed and has a mock paper and mark scheme. Every extract is broken down and explained. Can't comment on the other one but I hear its very good too.
Reply 167
The APT is very detailed and has a mock paper and mark scheme. Every extract is broken down and explained. Can't comment on the other one but I hear its very good too.

Thank you! Do you know if in previous years the APT has been accurate in predicting questions?
I think it has predicted the wrong 20 marker this year but it was spot on last year. The 20 marker should be about supply side reforms but the APT mock has a globalisation one even though that extract 1 and the 20 mark questiom is always about extract 5.
If you go to page 8 Pato has posted an attachment for the APT packs commentary on each extract.
Reply 170
Globalisation was last year's 20 marker so there's about a 1% chance of it coming up this year. I can guarantee this year will be SS reforms & their impact on econ growth/development.
Original post by Pato1
Globalisation was last year's 20 marker so there's about a 1% chance of it coming up this year. I can guarantee this year will be SS reforms & their impact on econ growth/development.

100% on supply side reforms promoting long run economic growth. It's almost Guarenteed...
Reply 172
You have to prepare for anything, I won't be surprised if OCR hoodwink us and tweak the question to what everyone is expecting
Original post by Pato1

Original post by Pato1
You have to prepare for anything, I won't be surprised if OCR hoodwink us and tweak the question to what everyone is expecting

:curious:
Reply 174
Anyone else have any other predictions on what it could be apart from supply side policies?

Really?? I remember learning about them though when we learnt about ODA, FDI, and debt and portfolio investment... If they don't ask directly about remittances it'll probably comparing it to the other three inflows (if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yousf
Anyone else have any other predictions on what it could be apart from supply side policies?

Perhaps for extract one: a four marker on explaining globalisation? ? And you could define it and use the info on FDI and the other two things to explain how there's closer links between economies or whatever.

Or there could be two, two markers: define globalisation and FDI

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys, i found some really good notes on this where the guy had turned the whole course into mnemonics. They came out really recently (april i think) but now i can't find them anymore. Does anyone have a link to it?
Original post by Maddieb467
guys, i found some really good notes on this where the guy had turned the whole course into mnemonics. They came out really recently (april i think) but now i can't find them anymore. Does anyone have a link to it?

I know who you're talking about, he helped me out. But I think he's taken his notes off

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi - IMPORTANT. This is NOT THE UP TO DATE VERSION of APT's Commentary on Extracts document. (anybody who bought the APT F585 pack will have received updates via email).OCR made an ERROR and updated their stimulus material on the 25th November and therefore APT updated their Commentary on Extracts.

OCR examination board at the end of November 2015 updated the F585 Global Economy stimulus material and uploaded an Erratum Notice onto their website stating that there are errors in the pre-release Special Study Material which they had already issued. This concerns p.8 on Extract 3, in particular the data in Fig. 3.1 of the stimulus material. The date change from 2001 to 2000 and the rounding up of 83.8 to 84 are insignificant but the changes in figures for mean years of schooling, expected years of schooling and GNI per capita are all significant since they lead to different conclusions about the trend in the statistics.

APT Initiatives, therefore, updated p.27 and 28 of our Commentary on Extract 3 to take into account these changes from OCR (the updated APT document states at the bottom updated 5/5/2016 on page 27 and page 28).

Just in case you have not been made aware of these changes we also attach the links to the relevant documents on the OCR website for your convenience:

This was the erratum issued on November 20th 2015: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/269943-unit-f585-stimulus-material-june-2016-erratum-notice.pdf

This is the stimulus material as updated on 25th November 2015: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/251783-unit-f585-stimulus-material-june-2016.pdf

STUDENTS - please check you are using the correct stimulus material. Students can order the students discounted APT Initiatives F585 pack which is under 'student revision aids'. There is lots of other resources included in the pack including mock papers and answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending