The Student Room Group

TSR, what first car would you go for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkdrifter10
what would you guys recommend for an 18 year old (19 in a month) male living in London who just passed his test? budget is around £3500 for car and insurance

Get an automatic with stop start, what I've hated in London is the traffic with a manual. Also leasing is your best option as you can get a nicer car for less money upfront.
Well I turn 40 soon, my first car was an Austin Metro. "British car to beat the world" :smile:

Looking back, yes I've heard all about it before but at that time I felt fortunate to have a car as it meant an ability to do jobs. Even back then it wasn't exactly an easy thing to own a car in Oxford.

Today, if I had to buy my own first car again I'd buy a Fiat Panda, especially if I was paying for it myself.

Cars I'd buy for my own kids, the eldest I started her out with a Volvo C30 that a tree consumed it, after that I gave her a hand-me-down Land Rover Discovery. My second is hoping she would get a Renault Zoe but she knows it is rather unlikely her dad would buy her a car that wasn't made in Sweden or UK especially if it was French :biggrin:
Original post by Azhar Rana
Its really pretty, I am thinking of getting one of these.

Yeah it looks really nice. Can't go wrong with a VW tbh.

Also, I approve of the Senna display pic :yy:
Original post by James A
Yeah it looks really nice. Can't go wrong with a VW tbh.

Also, I approve of the Senna display pic :yy:

Who doesn't wants the people's car, VW =D

Senna is a legend, are you interested in F1?
Original post by Azhar Rana
Who doesn't wants the people's car, VW =D

Senna is a legend, are you interested in F1?

yeah :tongue: I'm a massive f1 fan, I take it you love f1 also?

There's a sports section on tsr if you haven't checked it out yet; we normally get some f1 race weekend discussions going which is pretty cool
Original post by James A
yeah :tongue: I'm a massive f1 fan, I take it you love f1 also?

There's a sports section on tsr if you haven't checked it out yet; we normally get some f1 race weekend discussions going which is pretty cool

I am a massive fan too! I am soo happy Mclaren Honda is back! sure, I will!
Thanks!
Reply 46
Original post by Alfissti
Well I turn 40 soon, my first car was an Austin Metro. "British car to beat the world" :smile:

My first car was a Rover Metro, H reg. :smile: Cost me £200. I now have another, K reg, which cost me £500 over 3 years ago and runs like a dream.

I'd always advise a new driver to get a banger for a first car. Spend less than £500. There is a 50/50 chance of you at the very least scraping your car in the first year, so you might as well spend that first year where you really learn road skills in something that is almost disposable. Bodywork is expensive to repair.
Original post by James A
Question in title

Be realistic; I know you guys want a fast car but take into account insurance and the cost of the car itself!

To all you guys who already own cars, which car did you end up getting first? :ninja:

MG Metro mate, best 1st car ever. You can work a choke right?

1989.mg.metro.arp.jpg
Original post by PandaSal
Get an automatic with stop start, what I've hated in London is the traffic with a manual. Also leasing is your best option as you can get a nicer car for less money upfront.

Will i be able to get a lease considering i have no credit history?
Reply 49
Original post by HFBS
My first car was a Rover Metro, H reg. :smile: Cost me £200. I now have another, K reg, which cost me £500 over 3 years ago and runs like a dream.

I'd always advise a new driver to get a banger for a first car. Spend less than £500. There is a 50/50 chance of you at the very least scraping your car in the first year, so you might as well spend that first year where you really learn road skills in something that is almost disposable. Bodywork is expensive to repair.

Insurance tends to be higher if the car really is a banger. Better to spend >£1k.

The insurance companies are more worried about the 3rd party liability than damage to your car. And someone is more likely to drive a more expensive car better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Will i be able to get a lease considering i have no credit history?

Do you have a regular income?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Do you have a regular income?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im at university with no job, all of my income comes from student finance and scholarship
Reply 52
Im at university with no job, all of my income comes from student finance and scholarship

Unlikely then. Unless a parent can do it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest