The Student Room Group

I don't understand bearings!

Doing Foundation GCSE Maths with Edexcel in 2 weeks and I still can't get my head around them. Questions like the first one on here: http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/resources/77_bearings.pdf I've watched videos, had them explained them to me by multiple people... :frown:
Original post by greenmang0
Doing Foundation GCSE Maths with Edexcel in 2 weeks and I still can't get my head around them. Questions like the first one on here: http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/resources/77_bearings.pdf I've watched videos, had them explained them to me by multiple people... :frown:

Which bit about them don't you understand?
you just measure the angle clockwise starting at the north until you are pointing where you want to get to.
Reply 3
without a specific question it is hard to help.

In Q1 here, you will make progress if you can close your eyes and picture yourself standing at A facing North. What angle do you have to turn through in a clockwise direction to be able to face B?

The answer is 180 + 40 = 220. The bearing is therefore 220.

At foundation I think the only other issue maybe reversing a bearing. (in this case what is the bearing of A from B).

My rule for this is to reverse a bearing add 180. If the answer is greater than 360 then take 360 off.

In this case 220+180=400. 400 is bigger than 360 so take 360 off which gives 40. In other words if you stand at B and turn through 40 degrees clockwise you will face A.

The 40 in the diagram is the same as the bearing of A from B because of parallel line rules. (Adjacent angles [angles in a "Z"] are equal).
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
you just measure the angle clockwise starting at the north until you are pointing where you want to get to.

My friend said that you can't measure the angle on the question because you don't know whether it's to scale
My friend said that you can't measure the angle on the question because you don't know whether it's to scale

these questions are always to scale
Reply 6

Your friend is correct. Thats why you have to use the 40 supplied.

To turn from facing North you first turn 180 to face south and then the extra 40 from the diagram to get 220.
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
these questions are always to scale
Oh no they are not. Unless they say they are.

Also note the wording. If it says "Write Down" as in Q 2, then you can see it. If it says "Work out" then a calculation is needed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest