The Student Room Group

Friday 13th; which superstition/s do you believe in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm trying not to believe in unlucky things happening today because my papa is finally getting his transplant today

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope everything goes well :hugs:
I'd never walk under a ladder or step on cracks on the pavement and I wouldn't leave knives crossed on the table or put new shoes on the table. Also, I wouldn't normally say Friday the 13th is unlucky but today I've woken up late and missed a lesson in the process, almost knocked myself out, my watch has died and my laptop is being glitchy so :dontknow:
Do nothing for entire day!

Nothing can go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEthan
Hope everything goes well :hugs:

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Ria25
np :smile:

do say
what happens please :smile:

Will do :smile: he got the call from the consultant today telling him to get his stuff packed and now we are just waiting on the call to drive him to the hospital. Could be in 5 mins or not until midnight. Its a waiting game and that's the worst part :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Do nothing for entire day!

Nothing can go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, in your scenario, there you sit. You hear the sound of running water from upstairs and you cannot understand why. You wonder what it is but, hey! nothing can go wrong, can it? Your astonishment is great when you go upstairs when the day has ended and find the bathroom flood, and the landing carpet ruined.

In the world of commonsense, you go about your life as usual, hear running water, go upstairs and find a tap left on and running into a sink with a blocked drain. You think "that was bad luck", turn off the tap, clear the drain, and live the rest of your day without a large bill to pay at the end of it.
Original post by Pickles
I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.

What's the biggest superstition you believe in?

None

Only cretins are superstitious. Stupidly limiting themselves from doing something in fear of something awful happening, when all that's going to happen WILL regardless!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
So, in your scenario, there you sit. You hear the sound of running water from upstairs and you cannot understand why. You wonder what it is but, hey! nothing can go wrong, can it? Your astonishment is great when you go upstairs when the day has ended and find the bathroom flood, and the landing carpet ruined.

In the world of commonsense, you go about your life as usual, hear running water, go upstairs and find a tap left on and running into a sink with a blocked drain. You think "that was bad luck", turn off the tap, clear the drain, and live the rest of your day without a large bill to pay at the end of it.

1463137546193.jpg

In case of your scenario, that wouldn't affect me. Not to mention that I'm moving soon so I don't really have any obligations to be involved in fixing stuff.

I'm just sitting in on my chair. Yes, nothing can go wrong.

Anyway, that wouldn't happen obviously. (exactly today)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
1463137546193.jpg

In case of your scenario, that wouldn't affect me. Not to mention that I'm moving soon so I don't really have any obligations to be involved in fixing stuff.

I'm just sitting in on my chair. Yes, nothing can go wrong.

Anyway, that wouldn't happen obviously. (exactly today)

Posted from TSR Mobile

hehe You should look up "duty of care" and "contributory negligence".
hehe You should look up "duty of care" and "contributory negligence".

It depends on someone's position. In my case, duty of care doesn't apply but the other one...

Well.

Go away with your laws. I don't like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Walking under a ladder. If the coefficients of friction between the ladder and wall and the ladder and floor aren't large enough then the ladder could fall and crush you.
Original post by morgan8002
Walking under a ladder. If the coefficients of friction between the ladder and wall and the ladder and floor aren't large enough then the ladder could fall and crush you.

What, though, would reasonably cause those coefficients to change from the stable situation prior to your underpassing move to allow the catastrophe you fear?
What, though, would reasonably cause those coefficients to change from the stable situation prior to your underpassing move to allow the catastrophe you fear?

Nothing, but it might not be in a fully stable situation beforehand. Also, air currents and accidentally touching the ladder could disturb it.
nope !!!!! i dont believe in any superstitions ....:smile:
I've heard of all of them except the three drain one. Weird. Another common one is stepping on cracks in the pavement. I don't believe in any.
It's all a load of *******s. I've noticed things more often being in Russia, because they're very superstitious also. For instance, people look horrified when I let a black cat cross my path, and people will even go to lengths to hold back and let the cat cross another person so they get bad luck instead. Also discovered many strange superstitions over here. Empty bottles must go on the floor and not the table, similar to how we have 'touch wood' people often spit over their left shoulder 3 times (or just imitate), and also a weird one, and I noticed I've been looked at for doing it, but it's meant to be bad luck and signs of becoming infertile if a young woman sits on cold ground or any cold surface, and I often sit down on the floor outside like the British peasant I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum is really superstitious and it seems to have rubbed off on me, I hate splitting lamp posts with people :colondollar:
I actively challenge fate by walking under ladders, going out all day on Fri 13th, and try to avoid having seagulls crap on me.
Original post by Pickles
I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.

What's the biggest superstition you believe in?

I will never get a good grade in physics
:colone::colone::colone:
I don't really believe in it but I have a habit of knocking on wood if I say something that sounds like its tempting fate.

Quick Reply

Latest