The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adorable98
how is it 16?? I got 4
n1=3 n2=3 so (3+3)-2=4, so I chose the 6th degree of freedom cos that was the closest one:s-smilie:

I added 9+9 (9 traditional were tested and 9 modern apples) which is 18 and then took 2 away

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mystreet091234
OMG that's very kind of you!!
I would love to have them
THANK YOU<3

thats pretty cool, do you mind giving me those expected ques. when they're finished please?
Reply 342
Original post by luisgr8
Yess

Thank Godd I was so worried.
what your yoga limitations tho?? And what abt wellbeing of lizards in Q#1??
Original post by Aimen.

What experiment have you used for Q1 a.
Original post by Kamran Fazal
Guys I don't take biology but some of my classmates take biology and their teacher is gonna make them write expected questions. If you guys want them I can give it to you guys.

Hey thats pretty cool do you mind giving me the questions when they're fnished too?
yo guys what were you degrees of freedom? i did (9+9)-2= 16 degrees.
Reply 346
Original post by ~xSarahx~
I added 9+9 (9 traditional were tested and 9 modern apples) which is 18 and then took 2 away

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that too and got 16!
Original post by Aimen.

I wrote down quite a few limitations (although I don't know if they were valid as I was rushing). I wrote about genetic factors, the study not being representative of the entire population and all the athletes, differences in gender of athletes, and the possibility of there being a limiting factor.

For the wellbeing I do not trust my answers at all haha. I wrote about treating the eggs carefully to avoid premature hatching and the fact that the lizards would have to be released once they hatched.

What about you? What grade out of 50 do you expect?
Guys, please discuss the answers in the respective thread otherwise some of of the discussions may be missed by people wanting to know.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4079485
Reply 349
Original post by luisgr8
I wrote down quite a few limitations (although I don't know if they were valid as I was rushing). I wrote about genetic factors, the study not being representative of the entire population and all the athletes, differences in gender of athletes, and the possibility of there being a limiting factor.

For the wellbeing I do not trust my answers at all haha. I wrote about treating the eggs carefully to avoid premature hatching and the fact that the lizards would have to be released once they hatched.

What about you? What grade out of 50 do you expect?

I wrote the same, that lizard young ones should be released to wild after experiment and I also wrote that I'd be using temperatures b/w 20-40°c so no lizard eggs are destroyed!
Original post by Aimen.
I wrote the same, that lizard young ones should be released to wild after experiment and I also wrote that I'd be using temperatures b/w 20-40°c so no lizard eggs are destroyed!

Alright thanks
And did you divide the table in 2b into each variety of apple or simply into modern and traditional?
was the null hypothesis a correlation or difference... I wrote correlation first then after a while I crossed it out and wrote difference instead.. Could someone reassure me:frown:

Yeah significant difference..same here
What did you guys write about asvantages and disadvantages of producing more females??
Reply 353
Original post by Aimen.

What will be the answer for the random error thing? And the last part of ques 1 regarding temp.?
Plz do not discuss the answer the 24hrs
We do not want the grade boundaries to be high
I know that I an saying this very late

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 355
Original post by PlayerBB
What experiment have you used for Q1 a.

My experiment went like:
The independent variable is the hatching temperature, and the dependent variable is the gender of liards. Choose five different temperatures (20c, 25c, 30c, 35c and 40c) and take 40 lizard eggs from same parents and divide into 5 groups of 8 eggs each. put each group into a sepearate box and add known volumes of soil measured using measuring cylinder from the same soil bag to cover each group. Incubate each group at a chosen temperature for two months in a thermostatically conrolled incubator and count after two months. Repeat experiment twice with eggs from same species of lizard.
Gahh I know it's a funny idea that one lizard would give 40 eggs or you switch on incubator for 2 months but I couldn't think of anything else xD Couldn't even come up with a control xD:frown:
was the null hypothesis a correlation or difference... I wrote correlation first then after a while I crossed it out and wrote difference instead.. Could someone reassure me:frown:

OMG! I DID THE SAAAME THING XD It is significant difference apparently :P
Original post by bdoon esm
Plz do not discuss the answer the 24hrs
We do not want the grade boundaries to be high
I know that I an saying this very late

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does that work? I am genuinely curious
guys i think i made a huge mistake in Q1,a . can somebody tell how much marks will i loose for this ---> i forgot to talk about the sand in the expirement . i just told keep the egg and incubate :frown:. i think i screwed up whole question
I think in this part, lots of marking points will be provided, so u may just miss a marking point, if u write enough relevant points, it will compensate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending