The Student Room Group

Edexcel biology Ial unit 6

Guys in June 2012 paper in Q#1 (a) the examiner was looking for a method of distribution of random (quadrats/samples) and he didn't accept throwing them randomly for that. Can anyone tell me another method please? x)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Maybe selecting coordinates using a random number selection programme or drawing random numbers written on pieces of paper?
Reply 3
Original post by alkyone
Maybe selecting coordinates using a random number selection programme or drawing random numbers written on pieces of paper?

The computer generating programme sounds better.. thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Aimen.
Guys in June 2012 paper in Q#1 (a) the examiner was looking for a method of distribution of random (quadrats/samples) and he didn't accept throwing them randomly for that. Can anyone tell me another method please? x)

The method described in past papers is this:
Draw a map of the location and drawing a grid over it. Each grid is assigned co-ordinates. Then, a source of random number generation is used (such as a computer software) to produce random co-ordinates.
These co-ordinates are then used to place the quadrat on the grid of which the co-ordinates were given. Each quadrat's area corresponds to the are of each grid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AvWOW
The method described in past papers is this:
Draw a map of the location and drawing a grid over it. Each grid is assigned co-ordinates. Then, a source of random number generation is used (such as a computer software) to produce random co-ordinates.
These co-ordinates are then used to place the quadrat on the grid of which the co-ordinates were given. Each quadrat's area corresponds to the are of each grid.

Thanks for helpin' x)
Reply 6
Original post by Aimen.
Thanks for helpin' x)

anytime!
So how was it?
Reply 8
Well, it was definitely different. The first question didn't follow the pattern of the previous papers at all other than the experiment part. What were the advantages and disadvantages of the female egg question?
Reply 9
it was a weird ppr tbh
i wrote that more female lizards so more fertilized eggs laid so population increases and gene pool increases.
also wrote that if there are any insects that cause damage to plants, the lizzards will feed on them.
for disadvantage i wrote a lot of lizards as more fertillised eggs laid and so more hatched so population of prey decreases and population of prey for this prey will increase (I'm SO sure these are wrong :frown: )
how was everyone's ppr? everyone i know someway or the other screwed up
Yeah it was a weird one!
For advantages I wrote that there'll be more mating and so more offspring produced therefore population size increases.
Disadvantages are that since the female population increases, eventually the no. of males will be less so less mating and offspring and population size drops.

It's fuuny because both my answers contradict each other :colondollar:
Reply 11
Same! My answers kind of contradicted each other... What about the random error?? Did you guys also get the test and graph for 3(d) right? My null hypothesis was "no significant difference..."
Original post by elhm18
Same! My answers kind of contradicted each other... What about the random error?? Did you guys also get the test and graph for 3(d) right? My null hypothesis was "no significant difference..."

I don't even know if this counts as a random error but I wrote the you might misjudge the gender of the lizard when carrying out the experiment.

3d I used a line graph so Spearman's rank is the statistical test to be used.
What about you?
lmao i wrote some eggs laid might not be viable :frown:

Original post by xbuttermelon
I don't even know if this counts as a random error but I wrote the you might misjudge the gender of the lizard when carrying out the experiment.

3d I used a line graph so Spearman's rank is the statistical test to be used.
What about you?
What did you guys write for ethical and safety for the yoga question?
At first I wrote no to both, but then changed it to tearing a muscle when stretching and ethical because leaflet guarantees improved vital capacity, which may not be the case.. but having second thoughts now...
Reply 15
Original post by elhm18

I wrote that not all eggs are viable?
I know doesn't maKe sense xD
Reply 16
Original post by MisterRabbit
At first I wrote no to both, but then changed it to tearing a muscle when stretching and ethical because leaflet guarantees improved vital capacity, which may not be the case.. but having second thoughts now...

I wrote no significant ethical issues but safety issues may be as asthmatics can't do well with spirometer!
Original post by Aimen.
I wrote no significant ethical issues but safety issues may be as asthmatics can't do well with spirometer!

Original post by MisterRabbit

I wrote no sig. Ethical issues. And for saftey issues I was just thinking about the many people I know who have injuries (muscles and joints?) from yoga classes because of some sort of mistake..idk just wrote something on that and that it requires careful supervision and all..

Though the asthma suggestion is good! Why didn't I think of that:colonhash:
Reply 18
Original post by imanarif
lmao i wrote some eggs laid might not be viable :frown:

I put the same as you. I felt that all I studied didn't help at all for the first question. 😭 Any ways all I could think of was egg may not be viable I couldn't think of anything else
Reply 19
Original post by Aimen.

I wrote ethical issues that you should consider if the people you want to carry the experiment out with agree to take part and for safety that the mouth piece has to be disinfected before it goes round as they might pass infection
Has anyone put anything similar :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending