The Student Room Group

National 5 maths was brutal

Scroll to see replies

The paper was shocking, make sure to sign the petition
Well I reckon I have about 38-39 in paper 1 and 48-49 in paper 2 so anywhere from 95% to 98%
Reply 42
Original post by Ethan100
Wow, I'm not sure why that is, but if you really want to see the paper just type it on youtube and there somebody who completed both papers.

EDIT : Check out this page https://twitter.com/libby_maths, papers are posted there too

Its more the paper I'm interested in, look, context, order, content.
Thanks I'll have a look
Reply 43
SQA response to petition:13 MAY 2016 A spokesperson for the SQA said: "We are confident the National 5 Maths exam provided candidates with a fair opportunity to show their understanding of the subject. It was designed in line with past and exemplar papers and according to our course and assessment specifications. "We know the exams period can be a stressful time for young people and their families and are aware of the concerns which have been raised."
Reply 44
Original post by Aidan.15
SQA response to petition:13 MAY 2016 A spokesperson for the SQA said: "We are confident the National 5 Maths exam provided candidates with a fair opportunity to show their understanding of the subject. It was designed in line with past and exemplar papers and according to our course and assessment specifications. "We know the exams period can be a stressful time for young people and their families and are aware of the concerns which have been raised."

The paper was designed to show your understanding throughout the n5 course, there was really nothing heavily wrong with the paper in fact if you look at it again it does require more problem solving and application skills than the specimen. I do agree that some questions like sector area and Pythagoras 3D knocked most people speechless as they had expected that to be in the calculator paper; it was a challenge but not impossible.

I made tons of silly mistakes myself on both papers but that doesn't change the fact that some people are exaggerating it a bit :/
Reply 45
Original post by yeolk
The paper was designed to show your understanding throughout the n5 course, there was really nothing heavily wrong with the paper in fact if you look at it again it does require more problem solving and application skills than the specimen. I do agree that some questions like sector area and Pythagoras 3D knocked most people speechless as they had expected that to be in the calculator paper; it was a challenge but not impossible.

I made tons of silly mistakes myself on both papers but that doesn't change the fact that some people are exaggerating it a bit :/

I agree people are exaggerating a bit. However, when you have studied and revised for months using past/specimen papers as instructed by teachers, only to see a paper with a completely differant layout and question style it knocks your confidence the minute you open the paper. Students who had achieved A's or B's in their prelim and hoped to do the same in the final exam might now even have to sit N5 again next year..
Reply 46
Ok, after having a look at the paper, I'll concede that some of those questions could be seen as challenging (for N5). Question 5 was reliant on understanding of context, which is a core concept of Curriculum for Excellence - the curriculum all (not so) new N5, CfE H & CfE AH courses have been designed to follow - in that candidates are expected to apply their knowledge to every day problems (dunno about you guys but I'm always making school costumes). Question 3 is maybe something expected more in paper 2, but the angles and radii involved (and that it is well known that pi = 3.14) made it much much simpler than it would have been in paper 2, so it balances out there. Question 11 is trig identities, which again rarely comes up so some teachers take the risk as they run out of time.
This paper was not as bad as some make people make it out to be though, all of the questions remained well within the National 5 Mathematics Course Specification. The paper is of a similar standard of that of Specimen, Model, Practice & Past Papers.
This was an exam which some found challenging, which is what an exam should be - there is greater reward for doing well in a challenging exam than an easy one.
Reply 47
Original post by PTS_99
Ok, after having a look at the paper, I'll concede that some of those questions could be seen as challenging (for N5). Question 5 was reliant on understanding of context, which is a core concept of Curriculum for Excellence - the curriculum all (not so) new N5, CfE H & CfE AH courses have been designed to follow - in that candidates are expected to apply their knowledge to every day problems (dunno about you guys but I'm always making school costumes). Question 3 is maybe something expected more in paper 2, but the angles and radii involved (and that it is well known that pi = 3.14) made it much much simpler than it would have been in paper 2, so it balances out there. Question 11 is trig identities, which again rarely comes up so some teachers take the risk as they run out of time.
This paper was not as bad as some make people make it out to be though, all of the questions remained well within the National 5 Mathematics Course Specification. The paper is of a similar standard of that of Specimen, Model, Practice & Past Papers.
This was an exam which some found challenging, which is what an exam should be - there is greater reward for doing well in a challenging exam than an easy one.

With regard to the trig identities question, who is to blame if it is not taught? Is it the teacher's fault entirely for choosing to leave out that section of the course?:s-smilie: The question itself is only worth 2 marks but as we know, 2 marks could be the difference between a pass or a fail.
Reply 48
I agree people are exaggerating a bit. However, when you have studied and revised for months using past/specimen papers as instructed by teachers, only to see a paper with a completely differant layout and question style it knocks your confidence the minute you open the paper. Students who had achieved A's or B's in their prelim and hoped to do the same in the final exam might now even have to sit N5 again next year..

Sorry to make it look like your the only person Aidan, but you were the latest post saying this: "Completely different layout" seems to be a popular excuse this year for students not doing too well. Point out what part of the paper was completely different to the usual template. In terms of the actual design of the paper the best I can give you is that the page numbers are in number form this year rather than being written out in plain English (03 vs three). If you mean in terms of different questions I still don't see what people mean by this, of course questions are going to be different year on year, different to the Specimen & Model Papers. People were making the "different layout" excuse for H English as well but there wasn't one there. Did having 2016 on the front cover rather than 2015 and numerical page numbers really make that much of a difference?
You have to remember that this is only the third year of N5 (exam wise), there are going to be differences as SQA react to feedback year on year, however this should not affect your ability to answer the questions placed in front of you.

With regard to the trig identities question, who is to blame if it is not taught? Is it the teacher's fault entirely for choosing to leave out that section of the course?:s-smilie: The question itself is only worth 2 marks but as we know, 2 marks could be the difference between a pass or a fail.

Are you seriously trying to suggest here that it is the SQA's fault that your teacher - more than likely due to poor planning of the delivery of the course - ran out of time, or simply chose not to teach it? The SQA tell teachers what's in the course, beyond unit assessments it is entirely up to schools & teachers to decide how they deliver it.
Reply 49
I don't see the issue at all. It was harder than last year's exam but gave opportunity to show what you have learnt. No questions that left candidates unable to even begin like some found forthe Higher last year. Last year's N5 was very staightforward, so this year's was bound to be pushed forward a little.

As for changing grade boundaries, the SAA do that automatically each year anyway based on overall performance.
I got 89% in maths prelim and now I'm unsure If I can get an A..
My dog could get an A in national 5. You all need to get a hold of yourselves. It's bloody national 5, it means **** all!
Reply 52
Original post by Pennyarcade
My dog could get an A in national 5. You all need to get a hold of yourselves. It's bloody national 5, it means **** all!

I know if they're like this now I don't wanna be around when they do Higher...
Reply 53
Original post by PTS_99
Sorry to make it look like your the only person Aidan, but you were the latest post saying this: "Completely different layout" seems to be a popular excuse this year for students not doing too well. Point out what part of the paper was completely different to the usual template. In terms of the actual design of the paper the best I can give you is that the page numbers are in number form this year rather than being written out in plain English (03 vs three). If you mean in terms of different questions I still don't see what people mean by this, of course questions are going to be different year on year, different to the Specimen & Model Papers. People were making the "different layout" excuse for H English as well but there wasn't one there. Did having 2016 on the front cover rather than 2015 and numerical page numbers really make that much of a difference?
You have to remember that this is only the third year of N5 (exam wise), there are going to be differences as SQA react to feedback year on year, however this should not affect your ability to answer the questions placed in front of you.

Are you seriously trying to suggest here that it is the SQA's fault that your teacher - more than likely due to poor planning of the delivery of the course - ran out of time, or simply chose not to teach it? The SQA tell teachers what's in the course, beyond unit assessments it is entirely up to schools & teachers to decide how they deliver it.

Thanks for your reply.
I was referring to the questions being differant, however the more I think about it, the more I agree with your statement saying that this should not affect our ability to answer the questions.

Regarding my question about the trig identities, I am in no way blaming the SQA for this. I just feel disappointed that I have lost 2, possibly crucial, marks due to - as you said - probably bad preparation and planning of the teaching of the course. How can a school/teacher choose not to teach an entire section of the course for the reason that it 'probably won't come up'😒.

Again, thanks for your response
Reply 54
Thanks for your reply.
I was referring to the questions being differant, however the more I think about it, the more I agree with your statement saying that this should not affect our ability to answer the questions.

Regarding my question about the trig identities, I am in no way blaming the SQA for this. I just feel disappointed that I have lost 2, possibly crucial, marks due to - as you said - probably bad preparation and planning of the teaching of the course. How can a school/teacher choose not to teach an entire section of the course for the reason that it 'probably won't come up'😒.

Again, thanks for your response

It's a common occurrence, because they are worth so few marks and rarely come up some take a gamble and most of the time it pays off. It makes even less sense when it can be taught in as little as 2-5 periods. Also poor planning might be an exaggeration on my part and not fair on some schools, they probably spend the time they save on bigger aspects of the course that are going to be in the exam, ensuring candidates don't loose the many marks to be had in those questions. I was taught it last year but I never remembered the actual equations, so I guess I also took the gamble and I was lucky. But I recognised that if it came up then it would've been my fault and no one elses.
No bother, I'm always happy to share my experiences, opinions and knowledge with pupils who will benefit from it, it's why I'm on this forum in the first place. Also curiosity got the better of me wanting to know what the N5 was like this year.
I'm gonna get raped for this but you nat 5 kids are so stupid.

Higher matters not nat 5. Universities actually prefer if you make up in higher because they see your progress.

You're lazy. I saw the exam and it was similar to our paper last year. I thought it was very easy let alone fair. The SQA are fair to say that it was in line with specimen papers etc because IT WAS.

You're stupid petition is worthless. Higher English exam was altered. We got told less than 48 hours away from the paper. This exam can determine your next 5 years of a course. Nat 5 simply tells you to work harder. We had stress therefore going into the exam as our predictions were out the window only hours before the exam. Not only that but a paper which people at my school scored 97% in 2015 higher English was completely different to ours. Even the bloody first question!!! Even the last question!!!! We have a reason. Our paper was noticably harder, it was very different to specimen and exemplar papers which we noticed. Your stupid exam was very similar. Open your textbook and revise. Try revising for English when many have university conditions and we are told 48 hours before that the sqa changed the exam and then on the day see how different it was.

Nat 5 pieces of ****
Does anyone know the grade boundaries of last years NAT 5 Exam ?
Reply 57
Original post by Jeff458.
I'm gonna get raped for this but you nat 5 kids are so stupid.

Higher matters not nat 5. Universities actually prefer if you make up in higher because they see your progress.

Right...

You're stupid petition is worthless. Higher English exam was altered.

Yeah, good luck with that.

We got told less than 48 hours away from the paper. This exam can determine your next 5 years of a course. Nat 5 simply tells you to work harder. We had stress therefore going into the exam as our predictions were out the window only hours before the exam. Not only that but a paper which people at my school scored 97% in 2015 higher English was completely different to ours. Even the bloody first question!!! Even the last question!!!! We have a reason. Our paper was noticably harder, it was very different to specimen and exemplar papers which we noticed. Your stupid exam was very similar. Open your textbook and revise. Try revising for English when many have university conditions and we are told 48 hours before that the sqa changed the exam and then on the day see how different it was.

If an exam paper is changed the day before it is due to be sat.... so what?

You're concerned because the paper you got was harder than the one you would have got, which you didn't see?

This makes little sense. Revise the course not the specimen papers and past papers. They are a guide but nothing more.
Reply 58

Why not do something crazy, like googling "SQA N5 grade boundaries Maths 2015"?

This document has them

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/Grade_Boundaries_2015.xls
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending