The Student Room Group

want a job but no referees!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
Its very rare this happens because that might mean asking for references from every applicant, whereas if they only do that for successful candidates it wastes far less time.

yeah thats what i thought aswell so i panicked when they wanted them in advance.
Reply 21
thank you everyone for the replies, i think its easier than i thought it would be now. i'll try and contact 2 lecturers from uni and book an appointment to make sure im going about it the right way first.
Take it as a good sign and just put your teachers on notice. Its not being done to catch you out. If in doubt, then ask. Good luck with the job.
Reply 23
This is morally questionable but I was in the same boat and made up some places of employment with friends as referees, so naturally when called they only had positive things to say. This can be risky though..
Reply 24
Original post by 999tigger
Take it as a good sign and just put your teachers on notice. Its not being done to catch you out. If in doubt, then ask. Good luck with the job.

Yeh true. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Zuki
This is morally questionable but I was in the same boat and made up some places of employment with friends as referees, so naturally when called they only had positive things to say. This can be risky though..

Were you applying for a casual job? What type of places were they? I think my referees would talk positively of me so I'm not going to risk that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Hi everyone

I am in my first year of uni and am looking at applying for a summer job. However i do not have any referees. I did ask whilst i was in sixth form if 2 teachers would be my referees which they agreed to, however this was 2 years ago and i'm worried that they will not be in contact and i would prefer to use people who currently know me. I understand you are not allowed to use friends for the majority and that they have to be a previous employer or an academic person. I have only had year 10 work experience and a volunteer summer job as previous work, the last one being nearly 2 years ago so i doubt i could ask them anyway. So i want to ask 2 people at uni to be my referees. However i do not know how to go about this and in uni the lecturers do not know me as well as they did in high school so who am i supposed to use as referees?

Thanks

You can use a family friend or someone to give you a personal reference. This is a common thing to do. As long as they arent related or anything then you will be fine.
Have you been part of any clubs or societies? If so you could use one of those as a reference.
Original post by r-t

Just ask two lecturers - everyone else does and it won't be a problem. You could also ask a coach of a sports club, faith leader etc, anyone who isn't another student and knows you through their professional role. The standard for students in lecturers/tutors though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending