The Student Room Group

Muslims, if your child came out as gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
You literally just contradict yourself?

1) I wouldn't disown them for being gay and being attracted to their own gender. I wouldn't try to force them to be straight or something

2) but I'd explain that they can't act upon it (have gay sex), as a Muslim.

Is that more clear? :redface:
Reply 61
Original post by Lord Samosa
It wouldn't change anything, I could never disown my own children. I'd accept them as they are.

But I would explain that islamically they cannot act upon it, I'd hope they could deal with that :redface:

Haven't you researched why they turn gays turn gay. There possessed by a shay tan.(jinn). There hair would start growing faster and **** will go down in their lives.
Original post by Anonymous
I would tell why it's wrong and tell him/her how and why they are like this. And then make them listen to ruqyah and other stuff... To cleanse there soul and no this ain't no hippie ****.

It isn't wrong and you haven't a clue how or why they are the way they are. If you want to live under Islamic rule where things like that will be acceptable, go to Saudi. That sort of manipulation is out of line.
So one of my cousins recently came out as a lesbian to her family after she turned down a bunch of marriage proposals. Her family are furious and have told her to move out until she chooses to marry a man because they seem to be way more worried about the community than what she wants.

My cousin is heartbroken over this and she doesn't know what to do to get them talking to her again. She's moving in with her girlfriend soon and it got me wondering, Muslims, what would you do if your child came out as gay and had a partner? Would you accept them or not?

My friend's in a similar situation but regarding Hinduism - it's so sad :frown:
1) I wouldn't disown them for being gay and being attracted to their own gender. I wouldn't try to force them to be straight or something

2) but I'd explain that they can't act upon it (have gay sex), as a Muslim.

Is that more clear? :redface:

1). This...

kind of contradicts...

2). this.

As a muslim, there's a lot of things people can and can't do that they still do. I don't see why theres this focus on gay sex; if you think couples aren't going to bang you're just a bit deluded. Unless you are asexual, sex is a big part of your relationship.
1). This...

kind of contradicts...

2). this.

As a muslim, there's a lot of things people can and can't do that they still do. I don't see why theres this focus on gay sex; if you think couples aren't going to bang you're just a bit deluded. Unless you are asexual, sex is a big part of your relationship.

I would imagine they wouldn't date too. That is if they choose to continue living as a Muslim, otherwise there's no good reason for them to stay celibate.

Ultimately, I can only advise my child on what they should do (islamically), but I can't control what they do.
I would imagine they wouldn't date too. That is if they choose to continue living as a Muslim, otherwise there's no good reason for them to stay celibate.

Ultimately, I can only advise my child on what they should do (islamically), but I can't control what they do.

Your expectations are highly unreasonable. Your child should have the right to date without criticism. And with all due respect, religion isn't even a good enough reason to be celibate.

Not unfortunate at all - you shouldn't control them.
Load of *******s.

your biased and lost :biggrin:. Enjoy hell
your biased and lost :biggrin:. Enjoy hell

I don't believe in hell. I'd rather love the life I live than spend my life treading on egg shells and hating myself because of the minute chance a man sits on a cloud and runs the world. Get over yourself.

I'm not biased - I'm stating the truth. You are biased by your faith, which inevitably invites you to ignore multiple facts.
Original post by whitetack
im sure at some point theyll realise they miss their daughter more than they want to listen to their imaginary friend

The creator of the universe and all that begins to exist.
Original post by Tawheed
The creator of the universe and all that begins to exist.

... in your opinion.
... in your opinion.

In your opinion, he does not exist, no?
Original post by Tawheed

I believe he doesn't. I don't say "He doesn't" as a matter of fact. Furthermore, much more concrete evidence to support the belief that he doesn't, or rather that he didn't create the universe, than he does/did.
I believe he doesn't. I don't say "He doesn't" as a matter of fact. Furthermore, much more concrete evidence to support the belief that he doesn't, or rather that he didn't create the universe, than he does/did.

I believe his existence is a fact. You don't believe it is a fact, rather unlikely.

Where does that take us, or add to our understanding
Personally, I can't control what my son/daughter does or wants. They can live their own lives. But they cannot expect me to encourage a homosexual relationship if I don't believe that it is right. They can have one if they want and I'll have to deal with it but it won't change my view that it is wrong. Just keep the relationship outside my house.
Original post by Tawheed

Original post by Tawheed
I believe his existence is a fact. You don't believe it is a fact, rather unlikely.

Where does that take us, or add to our understanding

Guys, stick to the topic of discussion please instead of having a "does God exist" debate.
Personally, I can't control what my son/daughter does or wants. They can live their own lives. But they cannot expect me to encourage a homosexual relationship if I don't believe that it is right. They can have one if they want and I'll have to deal with it but it won't change my view that it is wrong. Just keep the relationship outside my house.

They do not need "encouragement". It's love - it has no boundaries or need for encouragement.
They do not need "encouragement". It's love - it has no boundaries or need for encouragement.

Yeah of course they don't but sometimes children expect their parents to encourage and support everything they do even if it goes directly against what the parent believes. I'll deal with it and won't stop my child but I won't be supporting them getting involved in that sort of relationship. They probably won't care whether I support it anyway so it's fine.
Original post by childofthesun
Yes we're Shia. If I came out as gay my parents would be surprised but would never disown me or change their behaviour towards me. In fact, when one of our family friend's son came out and his father kicked him out, he stayed with us for a while until things calmed down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, another Shia here, not gay though. I find us to be more liberal muslims, and my mom, despite being a devout Shia, balantly told me there's nothing wrong with it. Also we have a gay imam:
http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/12/20/meet-america-s-firstopenlygayimam.html
Yeah of course they don't but sometimes children expect their parents to encourage and support everything they do even if it goes directly against what the parent believes. I'll deal with it and won't stop my child but I won't be supporting them getting involved in that sort of relationship. They probably won't care whether I support it anyway so it's fine.

Your beliefs are not relevant. If your child is harming no one and not breaking the law and is so happy, who are you to take that away from them and condemn them? Awful position for their blood to take.

I'm pretty sure they will care. Take it from somebody with personal experience.

Note: I am fully aware you said you won't stop them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending