The Student Room Group

A question to all atheists

Is a 25 year old son, who fully consents to engage in sexual activity with his 55 year old father, according to your idea of morality, acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

What you and your dad choose to do between the sheets is of absolutely no relevance to anyone. It disgusts me but does not otherwise impact my own personal life, therefore (and according to Mill's harm principle) anything is theoretically "acceptable" (even self harm) as long as it does not bring harm to anyone else who is not involved.

Is it socially acceptable? Nope.
Is it practically acceptable? According to Mill, yes.

Regardless, your freaky question is not actually dealing with a moral issue. Discussing good and bad is very different from dealing with what is acceptable or not. For example, it's acceptable to not give money to every homeless person you see but that's an entirely different issue to whether or not its morally wrong/right.
Absolutely not
Reply 3
The point of atheism is to stop and think "hmm, is this okay? Let's look at this objectively.." rather than looking up the answer in a book written by a bunch of people who may or may not have known a bunch of people that may have spent time with a nice man who may or may not have been the son of a god.

Atheism is not a set of beliefs deisgned to dictate an answer, it is the single belief that there is no god, and hence we need to look to ourselves for these answers.
Original post by Tawheed
Is a 25 year old son, who fully consents to engage in sexual activity with his 55 year old father, according to your idea of morality, acceptable?

You made a thread on this some time back...

"Atheists, is homosexual incest morally acceptable?"

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3195447
No it is sick.
Is this an attempt to show that [insert any religion here] is morally superior if (some) atheists don't mind 'socially-unacceptable' behaviors being conducted?
(edited 7 years ago)
Atheists don't have a single, unified idea of morality. It's not a belief system with a set of principles written down in a holy book.

And I pretty much agree with insert-username's comment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed

No. If you think that that's in accordance with "our moral code" then you are delusional.
Reply 9
Original post by offhegoes
The point of atheism is to stop and think "hmm, is this okay? Let's look at this objectively.." rather than looking up the answer in a book written by a bunch of people who may or may not have known a bunch of people that may have spent time with a nice man who may or may not have been the son of a god.

Atheism is not a set of beliefs deisgned to dictate an answer, it is the single belief that there is no god, and hence we need to look to ourselves for these answers.

Doesn't under my question, with due respect.
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
Atheists don't have a single, unified idea of morality. It's not a belief system with a set of principles written down in a holy book.

And I pretty much agree with insert-username's comment.

Do you believe it is morally acceptable for a consenting , and informed consenting 25 yer old son to have sex with his 55 year old informed consenting father, as an atheist?
Please stop
Atheists make their own moral codes and we all have different ones, I m certainly not okay with incest.
Reply 13
Original post by Tawheed
Doesn't under my question, with due respect.

I'll answer if you can tell me, as someone with a username beginning with 'T', whether you like or dislike chocolate digestives?
Yes, what occurs in privacy between consenting adults is nothing to do with anyone else.
Original post by Tawheed
Do you believe it is morally acceptable for a consenting , and informed consenting 25 yer old son to have sex with his 55 year old informed consenting father, as an atheist?

No I don't. It is morally wrong. It is also illegal I believe?

But I didn't need your (or anyone else's) God to tell me that.

Because he doesn't exist. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by offhegoes
I'll answer if you can tell me, as someone with a username beginning with 'T', whether you like or dislike chocolate digestives?

Like chocolate digestives.
:rolleyes:
Original post by salsasauce
No it is sick.

Original post by ivybridge
No.

Original post by claireestelle
I m certainly not okay with incest.

Why?

inb4 morally wrong. Why is it?
Original post by Tawheed

I don't have an opinion on these things 'as an atheist.' I don't derive my moral beliefs from atheism. It's only people whose morals derive from religion that say things like, 'as a Muslim/Christian/Jew, I believe...'

As for your question: I've already said that I agree with insert-username's answer. To try to obtain from me a one-word answer with no elaboration suggests to me that the poster below has it right about your motive for asking this in the first place.

Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
Is this an attempt to show that [insert any religion here] is morally superior if atheists don't mind socially unacceptable behaviors being conducted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending