The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology PSYA1/PSYA2 Revision Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaykaayy
Both would be great, but which ever one you think is the most helpful?
Also what techniques are you using to memorise the evaluations and the names of the studies? Thanks!

Well, to be honest the evaluations are from what we have been taught in psychology and some that ee haven't been and he just goes to on say when you're making...evaluating...you explain in depth what you're trying to say. [PEEL]

The names of studies you have to make acryonyms, like for evaluations with researchers and if not, l think you can use ethical principles without the need in revising them.
How is everyone revising for Psychology? the first exam is in two weeks and I'm scared I won't be ready in time
Original post by hello1404
How is everyone revising for Psychology? the first exam is in two weeks and I'm scared I won't be ready in time

Flashcards, l created flashcards so l can quiz myself and they all consist of every topic in psychology that l will have a run through.
Guyyyssss, i have 3 questions:
1. how many studies have you memorised in total?
2. are you memorising the names of studies
3. are you memorising statistical information that the study researched
Original post by samsun12345

meant to memorises a lot, BUT ive not memorised any..........im so behind!!!!!
yes im planning to revise the names and basic information. some statistics are so much easier to learn

Eg. Asch with the variation to his line experiment, 3% conformity rate when there was one other confederate as the total group size. 13% for two confederates and 33% for three confederates.

Examiners wont take away marks for making up figures, just make sure they're not unrealistic.

good luck :smile:
Evaluation for a 12 marker - if I had a point, lets say about criticising Zimbardo for others saying the participants knew the situation was fake, could I then go against that, like 70% said they thought it was real etc.? With this study there's lots of counter-evidence..or would that sound weird once you write it down?

Also, how much do you write for a 12 marker? My teacher says 1 and a half sides of A4 (typed), which I think is too much.
Can anyone explain institutionalisation and locus of control please. Studies and evaluation points also will be great.
Reply 27
Original post by samsun12345

For studies im creating this chart (mostly completed). Its quite straight forward feel free to use it or make improvements (but if you do add to it please share it around for others).
Reply 28
Original post by Yameen98
Can anyone explain institutionalisation and locus of control please. Studies and evaluation points also will be great.

Locus of control is the measure of an individuals sense of personal control. For example if they believed they held full responsibilty of events in their life they'd have a high internal locus of control whereas if they blamed outside factors they'd have a high external locus of control.

For evaluations i'd talk about Avtgis and evaluate his study.
Avtgis 1998 conducted a meta analysis study that looked into locus of control and conformity and found that those who scored highly on external locus of control were more easily persuaded and likely to conform than those who scored lowly.

- uses correlational data which can suggest false connections between variables however it is easy to understand and use.
- Meta analysis uses secondary data which may be bias/ lack population validity
- self-report methods are used so P's may show demand characteristics as they want social desirability

What is it particularly you were unsure about with institutionalisation?
Reply 29
Original post by _Lizabeth_
Evaluation for a 12 marker - if I had a point, lets say about criticising Zimbardo for others saying the participants knew the situation was fake, could I then go against that, like 70% said they thought it was real etc.? With this study there's lots of counter-evidence..or would that sound weird once you write it down?

Also, how much do you write for a 12 marker? My teacher says 1 and a half sides of A4 (typed), which I think is too much.

Not really certain what you mean but if i had thi as a question i would counter it by using information from the interview(70% part you mentioned) and go into further detail about the findings. Counter evidence should definitely be used as it shows understanding and balances your argument.

For 12 markers assuming its a discuss or outline and evaluate question only 6 of those marks will go towards evaluating so you only need 2-3 points max. Id say 4 sentences per point so depending on handwriting that should be about 1/2-3/4 of a page on evaluating. For the whole answer i fully agree 1-1 1/2 pages would be the right amount.
Original post by Yameen98

LOC is the sense we each have of what directs our lives. People who have an internal LOC believe that they are responsible for what directs their life- they follow their own principles (therefore generally resist pressures to obey or conform). For example Irena sendler was A WW2 nurse who saved 100's of Jewish children by taking them out of the death camps, she was disobeying authority and following her own principles.People with an external LOC believe that other external circumstances direct their life e.g. luck. For example Adolf Eichman who was head of Nazi death camps said that in his defence he was only obeying orders from authority therefore did not feel responsible for what he did.

Institutionalisation is the term for the effects of living in an institution e.g. orphanage or hospital. There is often very little care provided for children in institutions. One of the worst cases of bad care in an institution is of the Romanian Orphan studies which was looked in to and researched by Rutter. (watch a video on youtube about the conditions the children were in...)

A-He wanted to see to what extent good after care could make up for poor early institutionalised care.
P-Rutter followed a group of 165 Romanian orphans who were adopted in Britain. He studied their physical, cognitive and emotional development at 4,6,11 and 15 years of age. The control group was 52 British children adopted around the same age (who had not been poorly institutionalised).
F- To begin with the Romanian orphans lagged behind British counterparts on all levels of development. Many were also classified as mentally retarded.Those adopted before they were 6 months old went on to live normal lives and caught up with development of the control group whereas those adopted after 6 months showed disinhibited attachment (they were equally as friendly and affectionate to strangers and to family members, which is not normal).
(edited 7 years ago)
Could someone tell me the difference between reciprocity and interactional synchrony, all the definitions I've read are so similar and I'm confused.
Reply 32
Original post by $pacemelons
Could someone tell me the difference between reciprocity and interactional synchrony, all the definitions I've read are so similar and I'm confused.

Interactional synchrony is when the child and parent in time with one another; reciprocity is where the child copies the parent. So, in one of the exam questions I saw the child and mother turn heads perfectly in time (interactional synchrony) and when the mother smiles at the child the child smiles back (reciprocity). Sorry i haven't given a properly worded answer i just thought if you've read the book definition it would be easier to describe it this way.
[QUOTE=RGPunt;64770569]Locus of control is the measure of an individuals sense of personal control. For example if they believed they held full responsibilty of events in their life they'd have a high internal locus of control whereas if they blamed outside factors they'd have a high external locus of control.

For evaluations i'd talk about Avtgis and evaluate his study.
Avtgis 1998 conducted a meta analysis study that looked into locus of control and conformity and found that those who scored highly on external locus of control were more easily persuaded and likely to conform than those who scored lowly.

- uses correlational data which can suggest false connections between variables however it is easy to understand and use.
- Meta analysis uses secondary data which may be bias/ lack population validity
- self-report methods are used so P's may show demand characteristics as they want social desirability

What is it particularly you were unsure about with institutionalisation?

Thank you so much. I have to know institutionalisation in the Romanian orphans. But someone else has replied as well and they have explained it :smile:
Original post by RGPunt
Interactional synchrony is when the child and parent in time with one another; reciprocity is where the child copies the parent. So, in one of the exam questions I saw the child and mother turn heads perfectly in time (interactional synchrony) and when the mother smiles at the child the child smiles back (reciprocity). Sorry i haven't given a properly worded answer i just thought if you've read the book definition it would be easier to describe it this way.

Alright thanks a lot that actually helps!
What l'm saying is start from the scratch checklist everything you know and AFTER you think you know EVERYTHING, continuously do past papers!
I want what research method questions will come up like maybe overt...covert (the definitions of them)
Does anyone use a structured plan for 12 markers and if so could you share it with me, I can't seem to get past the 8 marks mark
Original post by The Panic Queen
Does anyone use a structured plan for 12 markers and if so could you share it with me, I can't seem to get past the 8 marks mark

AO1:

Is about your knowledge of your topic, just write about what it is and does...like for example the MSM.

AO3:

-You need 3 evaluation points and explain them using PEE as simple as you can.
Original post by the.chantele
I want what research method questions will come up like maybe overt...covert (the definitions of them)

You definitely need to revise all research methods because they come up on ALL sections of both papers with section C on paper 2 completely dedicated to it. This video on experimental method also includes loads of general revision for PSYA1 https://youtu.be/8OnL5tm0cmk :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending