The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
equation? Did we need any? :oops: :rofl:
I'm probably gonna find out our mark tomorrow on the SHM one....:afraid:

I think I got 42 for the water flow one. I was waffling so much on the last SHM question, I feel bad for the teacher who's marking it :lol:

Haha aw thats good:five:
Yeahh i know :biggrin:
Reply 141
Original post by C0balt
equation? Did we need any? :oops: :rofl:
I'm probably gonna find out our mark tomorrow on the SHM one....:afraid:

I think I got 42 for the water flow one. I was waffling so much on the last SHM question, I feel bad for the teacher who's marking it :lol:

Well I may or may not have used an equation then..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cowie
I used the equation of a simple pendulum, and compared experimental with theoretical - are we allowed to talk about ISA's now?

No, some dude PM'd me saying they're taking the SHM one this Monday or something
Reply 143
Can anyone expalin why the answer to this is C and not D please? They both seem to make sense to me
Original post by boyyo
Can anyone expalin why the answer to this is C and not D please? They both seem to make sense to me

The resistance of the wires stays the same. It's just that less power loss is produced since P wasted due to R = I^2R where I is much smaller
Reply 145
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
The resistance of the wires stays the same. It's just that less power loss is produced since P wasted due to R = I^2R where I is much smaller

Oh Ok thank you. Just a quick question, do you only use p=I^R when talking about energy loss?
Reply 146
Original post by C0balt
No, some dude PM'd me saying they're taking the SHM one this Monday or something

Teacher said I got 41.. Which is low-A / B depending on grade boundaries.. What d'you predict boundaries might be for an A?
How'd you do n the SHM one?
Original post by cowie
Teacher said I got 41.. Which is low-A / B depending on grade boundaries.. What d'you predict boundaries might be for an A?

I got 45. My teacher made predicted grades based on past gb average and said he'd expect the gb to be on a slightly lower end but that's just only his opinion. It is really difficult for me to judge as well because unlike the other units I cannot get feels for relative difficulty as I've never done past papers for ISA.
Hi guys - here is a question pack for all topics in PHYA4 that I found: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8K8StRm05OKbEp3c0IyV2JJZDA/view?usp=sharing
Original post by cowie

My teacher is saying that this year's ISA's (the water flow one in particular) were easier than last year, so I'd imagine the grade boundaries will be roughly the same

47 - A*
44 - A
41 - B
39 - C
Do you guys fill in the answer sheet as you go through multiple choice questions or do you do it at the end of the exam? its a bit of a risk to do it at the end you might just run out of time...
Reply 151
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Do you guys fill in the answer sheet as you go through multiple choice questions or do you do it at the end of the exam? its a bit of a risk to do it at the end you might just run out of time...

I do it at the end of the exam but just make certain I have 5 minutes left

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by TajwarC
Hi guys - here is a question pack for all topics in PHYA4 that I found: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8K8StRm05OKbEp3c0IyV2JJZDA/view?usp=sharing

this is sick, thanks man reall helpful. Btw are these past paper questions or from somewhere else?
Original post by boyyo
this is sick, thanks man reall helpful. Btw are these past paper questions or from somewhere else?

Not entirely sure but they're not from any recent past papers. I think they are from legacy/old AQA papers
Reply 154
Original post by TajwarC
Not entirely sure but they're not from any recent past papers. I think they are from legacy/old AQA papers

Ahh thats cool. Appreciate you posting it, thanks:smile:
Original post by boyyo
Ahh thats cool. Appreciate you posting it, thanks:smile:

Yeah. Old Spec multiple choice questions are re-used so many times in the Current Spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by TajwarC

Hi you wouldn't happen to know if there was anything like this for unit 5?
Original post by Cbla98
Hi you wouldn't happen to know if there was anything like this for unit 5?

Haven't come across anything as of yet unfortunately
38/50 on SHM, then did the water flow to try to get a better grade, actually got a worse grade, along with a worse grade than last year on my AS ISA resit. (UMS's I'm working with => Unit 1 96/120, Unit 2 98/120, Unit 3 36/60, Unit 6 probably 33/60)

Would be currently averaging an A and wouldn't need to average 90% over Unit 4 and Unit 5 just to get an A if it weren't for the ISAs. All this and they're not even a thing anymore, just would have had to be born 1 year later.

If a couple marks on an ISA is what stops me from getting into my firm I don't know how I'll handle it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 159
To get an A* overall in Physics, dou you need an A at AS and 90%(270 UMS) at A2? So 510/600 UMS overall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending