The Student Room Group

not showing up to an exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kirigiri

You are the one crying about it, just do the shiit, its not that hard....
Reply 41
Original post by Dammio
You are the one crying about it, just do the shiit, its not that hard....

It's not that hard for you, maybe. But you don't have health issues that make just attending school an achievement sometimes. If the OP drops a subject that is less needed and they're less likely to do well in then they can concentrate their time on the others - and since they've missed a lot of school there will be a lot of catching up to do for the other subjects too.
Reply 42
Original post by Juno
It's not that hard for you, maybe. But you don't have health issues that make just attending school an achievement sometimes. If the OP drops a subject that is less needed and they're less likely to do well in then they can concentrate their time on the others - and since they've missed a lot of school there will be a lot of catching up to do for the other subjects too.

if everyone had the mentality to give up when things are hard, the world would be ****...
Reply 43
Original post by Dammio
if everyone had the mentality to give up when things are hard, the world would be ****...

This isn't giving up. Giving up would be dropping all GCSEs and hiding under the duvet. Taking fewer GCSEs when you genuinely can't manage everything is just a better allocation of resources.
Reply 44
Original post by Juno
This isn't giving up. Giving up would be dropping all GCSEs and hiding under the duvet. Taking fewer GCSEs when you genuinely can't manage everything is just a better allocation of resources.

seeing as we are both humans, if she genuinely can't manage, then her brain just worse then most peoples is, in that case she can quit...

however, I believe if she put more effort in she could get equal, if not better grades then me.
Reply 45
Original post by Dammio
seeing as we are both humans, if she genuinely can't manage, then her brain just worse then most peoples is, in that case she can quit...

however, I believe if she put more effort in she could get equal, if not better grades then me.

How have you decided this? Obviously Usain Bolt is human, so can everyone just run as fast as he can? Can everyone drive as well as Ayrton Senna? Can everyone play guitar as well as Richie Sambora? Or are you just being ridiculous and insulting?
Reply 46
Original post by Juno
How have you decided this? Obviously Usain Bolt is human, so can everyone just run as fast as he can? Can everyone drive as well as Ayrton Senna? Can everyone play guitar as well as Richie Sambora? Or are you just being ridiculous and insulting?

I could run as fast as Bolt and drive as well as Senna, if I REALLY wanted to...

What the **** is stopping me?

note the emphasis on 'really'
Hey, I've been reading through this topic and to OP, as another autistic person - yep, English Lit can be a right pain in the arse. As someone who sat their GCSEs last year (and nearly missed an exam because I'm an utter genius), here's my adivce:

If you've already mentioned it to school that you may not show up, then they may remember that when you don't show up - it really depends on how much the student managed you mentioned has to do with the exams in school. I suppose you could call school on the day of the exam to say that you can't do it, but it really depends on who answers the phone - do you know if it'll be someone who knows and understands your circumstances? If so, then they might not reschedule it - I'm not sure if they're legally obligated to, but they might. If it won't be or you're not sure, then I wouldn't risk it.

Regardless of what happens with your English Lit - if you're possibly stressing over all the possibilities, keep in mind it's just one day, once you've missed it, no one will ask you about it again - I wish you luck for your other exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
schools and the government only want you to have language (obviously theyd prefer you to have literature too, but language is the one they push for and you may have to resit if you dont do well enough) & not everyone takes them as separate gcses (some take them as a single hybrid gcse).

It's a requirement for you to have GCSE maths and English Lang at a grade C, otherwise you have to resit it now, like I have to.

I struggled with mine last year but my school were dickheads and refused to let me drop any as I basically did the minimum science (single science!) I didn't do that well, and I got out of the environment and believe me, the best thing I did for myself was getting out and going to college. I gave myself this year to settle in and resit my English and maths without much pressure and the college are aware of my situation and are supporting me much better than my school ever did.
You'll get an X in English literature.

As long as you get 5 A*-Cs it shouldn't matter much, unless you wanted to do something English related for A-levels or want to go to Oxford or do medicine.

You might not be able to do sciences for A-level without chemistry.

You'd probably be better turning up and just doing your best. You might get a decent grade and if not then you've just lost a couple of hours.
Original post by spotify95
I can't confirm whether this is correct or not (so apologies if I am wrong!), but I assume that when people say "GCSE English", they mean both the Lang and the Lit components, since everyone has to take both English Language and English Literature.

Original post by Midnightmemories
It's a requirement for you to have GCSE maths and English Lang at a grade C, otherwise you have to resit it now, like I have to.

This is nonsense. A GCSE English requirement means either GCSE English or GCSE English language. None of the three English GCSEs are individually compulsory, but you have to take at least one of English or English language and for some boards there's the additional restriction that you can't take English language without taking English literature.
(edited 7 years ago)
Zero on the paper. It's that simple.
Original post by morgan8002
You'll get an X in English literature.

As long as you get 5 A*-Cs it shouldn't matter much, unless you wanted to do something English related for A-levels or want to go to Oxford or do medicine.

You might not be able to do sciences for A-level without chemistry.

You'd probably be better turning up and just doing your best. You might get a decent grade and if not then you've just lost a couple of hours.

This is nonsense. A GCSE English requirement means either GCSE English or GCSE English language. None of the three English GCSEs are individually compulsory, but you have to take at least one of English or English language and for some boards there's the additional restriction that you can't take English language without taking English literature.

Okay, I got it all wrong then! :biggrin: Thanks for the corrections!

I know that with my school, I had to take English Literature as well as Language, and I got a C in Lang and a B in Lit.
Reply 52
Original post by Dammio

have you even read this properly? or is your reading comprehension just this poor?
i am not "everyone". I AM TRYING MY HARDEST. living is difficult - the fact that im in school for more than two days a week is a massive achievement for me. it's not just a case of me deciding not to do something - I LITERALLY CANNOT DO IT. MY BRAIN DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD. IM SORRY.

@Juno thank you, i really appreciate your understanding a lot and a lot. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ youre getting across what i mean a lot better than i ever could OTL
Original post by morgan8002

It's not nonsense. I know my ****. Schools want it because of funding. It's explained here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding

However it's language the one employers and schools want you to have. Lit counts if you achieve it and not the other one. If you don't have lit however they just put you on language only for the retake.
Reply 54
Original post by Compost
It's not quite that simple. If your school has entered you for English Language and English Literature, rather then the combined GCSE English, then they will want you to do both.

yes, the school would obviously want me to take all the exams im entered for. however, even if im entered for lit, i dont need it to get into college or anythingm i will not have to resit it.
have you even read this properly? or is your reading comprehension just this poor?
i am not "everyone". I AM TRYING MY HARDEST. living is difficult - the fact that im in school for more than two days a week is a massive achievement for me. it's not just a case of me deciding not to do something - I LITERALLY CANNOT DO IT. MY BRAIN DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD. IM SORRY.

@Juno thank you, i really appreciate your understanding a lot and a lot. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ youre getting across what i mean a lot better than i ever could OTL

I completely get you, I really do. I struggled with school and it was a miracle I sat my exams. Everyone is different and some people need more support than others. If people want to bitch about that his isn't the time or place.
You only need English and maths at a c, if you only take one English (like Lang and not lit) it should be fine. Because that's what I've done this year.

However if you don't turn up to the exam your school might not like it and if you want to go onto sixth form there they could take that into account. I know at my college if I don't attend my exams I can't come back in September.
Reply 56
I completely get you, I really do. I struggled with school and it was a miracle I sat my exams. Everyone is different and some people need more support than others. If people want to bitch about that his isn't the time or place.
You only need English and maths at a c, if you only take one English (like Lang and not lit) it should be fine. Because that's what I've done this year.

However if you don't turn up to the exam your school might not like it and if you want to go onto sixth form there they could take that into account. I know at my college if I don't attend my exams I can't come back in September.

thank you ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ im sorry that school was tough for you and i hope youre doing a bit better now☆

thats a fair point, actually. ill contact my college about it (theyre aware of my situation so theyll take it into account) and see what they have to say on it;0
It's not nonsense. I know my ****. Schools want it because of funding. It's explained here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding

However it's language the one employers and schools want you to have. Lit counts if you achieve it and not the other one. If you don't have lit however they just put you on language only for the retake.

That contradicts what you said originally. GCSEs in English and/or English literature are also accepted in terms of funding. Funding isn't everything though. You really need English or English language.

It's really not. GCSE English is also accepted.
thank you ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ im sorry that school was tough for you and i hope youre doing a bit better now☆

thats a fair point, actually. ill contact my college about it (theyre aware of my situation so theyll take it into account) and see what they have to say on it;0

Thank you :hugs: I'm doing so much better now and doing a easy foundation course whilst I've found my feet again has done me the world of good. My college are aware of my situation and supported me in joining and did a transition period over the summer with people who were in a similar situation to I was.

College will only want you to have English and maths for definite. However everything else depends on what level course you go into. You don't even need English and maths to get onto my course but mine isn't a straight forward thing. Level 2 you'll need 4 D's roughly. Level 3 it's 5 C's. If you go to college if you fail English and maths you can retake easier as they're used to it.

When I joined college they took my situation into account, realised I needed a settling year and then put me onto a simple course which had the support I needed to start with. And they've continued to support me the best they can throughout the year. :smile: it's a good idea to tell them what you need as they can maybe help you.
x

My attendance during Year 11 last year dropped to 45%, and managing to make it in to school twice a week was a massive accomplishment for me and I had to drop some GCSE subjects also. Whilst my reason was because I have a chronic physical illness, I understand what you mean about trying your hardest, but sometimes circumstances mean you just can't do it - a lot of people on this thread won't be able to understand that; don't hold it against them or feel upset because of it. They would have had fairly normal schooling experiences and won't understand being unable to sit an exam - it's not that you're lazy, or just can't be bothered. I did sit all of my exams, and I got much better grades than I expected - but people need to realise that everyone is different, everyone's circumstances are different and to be more tolerant and understanding of that.

The worst that will happen is you get a U - I'm not 100% sure if you'd get a U or an X as you have already submitted a coursework component. If you get a U, you will have to declare the grade on your UCAS applications. If it's an X, you won't have to. But as another poster suggested, could you try taking the exam - not to pass - but with the intention of tackling a challenge and coming out of it knowing you faced a difficult circumstance. This way you'll be removing the pressure of passing - that's not the aim here, it's the aim of going in to do it. Even if you get in and can't answer the question, you'll know you achieved something awesome.

If not, in terms of your question - if you don't turn up to the exam, the school can charge you for the admin fees and will probably call you, etc, to ask where you are. If you want to go straight onto a Level 3 A Level course, you'll need 5 A*-C grades (so make sure you are sitting 5 GCSE exams) and if you want to do a BTEC, I believe it's 4 A*-D grades (that's the case at my college). If not, you can always do a Level 2 course first - I know people that did this and it's a great way to get a good foundation in subjects you'll be studying further (e.g. Psychology). English Literature isn't necessary for University, but if your school mentions on your reference you didn't turn up to an exam that may be an issue.

Always remember to celebrate the little wins - if you do sit the exam, it's a big win, regardless of the grade you get at the end of August. If not, keep going and know it's okay (despite what some people on this forum may say). I implore you to really try to sit the exam - don't feel pressure to pass, just go in there, try to enjoy finding ways to answer the question, but don't worry if you can't answer the exam paper - the point is you did it!

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you in everything you do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest