The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
If you were asked find the probability that a student Spends less than 1/3 more than a teacher on reading: P(S< 4/3 T) how you'd set it up? Where s is student and t is teacher
Original post by Rkai01
If you were asked find the probability that a student Spends less than 1/3 more than a teacher on reading: P(S< 4/3 T) how you'd set it up? Where s is student and t is teacher

Hard to understand phrasing of question the way you've put it but if it's P(S<4/3 T) then you write it as P(S-4/3T < 0) and then write A = S-4/3T. Following this you calculate the combined mean (Mean of S - 4/3 mean of T) and variance (variance of S + (16/9 x variance of T)) and solve it.
Reply 282
Original post by coolguy123456
Hard to understand phrasing of question the way you've put it but if it's P(S<4/3 T) then you write it as P(S-4/3T < 0) and then write A = S-4/3T. Following this you calculate the combined mean (Mean of S - 4/3 mean of T) and variance (variance of S + (16/9 x variance of T)) and solve it.

I just meant the initial set up, that is the hardest bit. The wording can be confusing at times that's all.
Please explain when we use the squared of the Variance in the linear combinations of random variables, when we combine distributions or when we do it normally ..
Reply 286
Original post by economicss
Hope this helps :smile:image.jpg

brilliant thanks, just wondering how the distribution of (x̄-μ) was conjured?
Original post by etmarks
brilliant thanks, just wondering how the distribution of (x̄-μ) was conjured?

So because the distribution of x bar is in general (mu, sigma squared/n) then the value for (x bar-mu) will be (mu-mu) giving the 0 and we are told that the standard deviation is 3 grams so the variance is (9/n) then we substitute this in to the formula :smile:
Can someone for q5 explain why the variance is not the smae for the second part of the question:

https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b400160ceb38ca5c7.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYVGVDMmVJYzVnRnc/June%202013%20QP%20-%20S3%20Edexcel.pdf

Why is it 106 and not 52!

Anyone have any resources on this, every time I get this wrong. Done chapter 1 and the review qs
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
Can someone for q5 explain why the variance is not the smae for the second part of the question:

https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b400160ceb38ca5c7.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYVGVDMmVJYzVnRnc/June%202013%20QP%20-%20S3%20Edexcel.pdf

Why is it 106 and not 52!

Anyone have any resources on this, every time I get this wrong. Done chapter 1 and the review qs

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more explanation :smile:image.jpg
Hope this helps, let me know if you need more explanation :smile:image.jpg

Thanks I got the same thing as in working out only the wrong variance, can I ask how you know when to square the variance please?! Like you have done 3^2*3^2 whereas I did 3*3^2 :/
Thanks I got the same thing as in working out only the wrong variance, can I ask how you know when to square the variance please?! Like you have done 3^2*3^2 whereas I did 3*3^2 :/

Does this make sense? :smile:image.jpg
Does this make sense? :smile:image.jpg

Thank you this is very helpful.

It is not explained in the edexcel book haha.
Thank you this is very helpful.

It is not explained in the edexcel book haha.

No probs :smile:
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/normal_variables.pdf

@Zacken

Has madas made a mistake on question 2, by neglecting to do the modulus?

the answer should be double that I think?
(edited 7 years ago)
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/normal_variables.pdf

@Zacken

Has madas made a mistake on question 2, by neglecting to do the modulus?

the answer should be double that I think?

No he hasn't your finding it given it is greater by 15. Not the difference is 15.
Probability that X2 exceeds X1 by atleast 15 so X2-X1>=15

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
No he hasn't your finding it given it is greater by 15. Not the difference is 15.
Probability that X2 exceeds X1 by atleast 15 so X2-X1>=15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explained very well thank you.
Hi guys
Anyone got any ideas for 6d? Looking at the mark scheme Im not sure I understand. Its from June 2015:smile:
Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 10.39.59.png
Original post by econam
Hi guys
Anyone got any ideas for 6d? Looking at the mark scheme Im not sure I understand. Its from June 2015:smile:
Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 10.39.59.png

Write out U bar in terms of other variables then rearrange
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Write out U bar in terms of other variables then rearrange

Could the conditional probabilitlity/ percentage points/ other S1 stuff be asked in S3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending