The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys. Hope everything is going smooth and well. I Have a little problem. I am a self taught student. currently doing past papers and very happy with results. the problem is that the notation i use is different to the markscheme slightly. but i get the same answer as them. will this affect the way im graded?
Original post by ChuckNorriss
Hi guys. Hope everything is going smooth and well. I Have a little problem. I am a self taught student. currently doing past papers and very happy with results. the problem is that the notation i use is different to the markscheme slightly. but i get the same answer as them. will this affect the way im graded?

Most likely not - can you give us a few concrete examples of differences in your notation?
Reply 362
Could someone help me understand where I'm going wrong here?

Question 3: https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202015%20MS%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

I ended up with y=3cosxcos3x+c2sinxy = \dfrac{3cosx-cos3x+c}{2sinx}

Though the MS somehow manages to put a 3 infront of the cos3xcos3x

If you look at the line right on top of that it says

ysinx=32[13cos3x+cosx]+Cysinx= \dfrac{3}{2}\left[- \dfrac{1}{3}cos3x + cosx \right] + C

I got this, am I missing something blindly obvious?
Original post by edothero
I got this, am I missing something blindly obvious?

I would think so. :tongue:

Remember that a(b+c)=ab+acab+ca(b+c) = ab + ac \neq ab + c.

So 32[13cos3x+cosx]=32×13cos3x+32×cosx\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}\left[- \dfrac{1}{3}\cos3x + cosx \right] = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{-1}{3} \cos 3x + \frac{3}{2} \times \cos x
Reply 364
Original post by Zacken
I would think so. :tongue:

Remember that a(b+c)=ab+acab+ca(b+c) = ab + ac \neq ab + c.

So 32[13cos3x+cosx]=32×13cos3x+32×cosx\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}\left[- \dfrac{1}{3}\cos3x + cosx \right] = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{-1}{3} \cos 3x + \frac{3}{2} \times \cos x

so ysinx=12cos3x+32cosxysinx = -\dfrac{1}{2} cos3x + \dfrac{3}{2} cosx

ysinx=3cosxcos3x2\therefore ysinx = \dfrac{3cosx-cos3x}{2}

y=3cosxcos3x2sinx\therefore y = \dfrac{3cosx-cos3x}{2sinx}

That's what I did
so ysinx=12cos3x+32cosxysinx = -\dfrac{1}{2} cos3x + \dfrac{3}{2} cosx

ysinx=3cosxcos3x2\therefore ysinx = \dfrac{3cosx-cos3x}{2}

y=3cosxcos3x2sinx\therefore y = \dfrac{3cosx-cos3x}{2sinx}

That's what I did

Ah, sorry - I misread. Yes, that's fine - the markscheme is in error.
Reply 366
Original post by Zacken
Ah, sorry - I misread. Yes, that's fine - the markscheme is in error.

No problem, thank you.

Quite scary how there's a mistake in a 2015 paper's mark scheme.
One can only assume, and hope, that it was fixed in time so candidates weren't marked down
No problem, thank you.

Quite scary how there's a mistake in a 2015 paper's mark scheme.
One can only assume, and hope, that it was fixed in time so candidates weren't marked down

Nah, the examiners get a different copy of the markscheme that's far more detailed than this one which is produced for the singular use of teachers/candidates. Plus they have a meeting before the marking commences and any such errors would be spotted immediately, although failing that (in the most extreme case) - they will notice something is up as soon as candidates seem to be making the same "error" repeatedly.
Original post by Zacken
Most likely not - can you give us a few concrete examples of differences in your notation?

So i know this is an fp2 thread but with m3. instead of writing v dv/dx = .... i just write a= ..... and then below straight to 0.5v^2.
Original post by ChuckNorriss
So i know this is an fp2 thread but with m3. instead of writing v dv/dx = .... i just write a= ..... and then below straight to 0.5v^2.

That's not different notation at all.
Please could anyone explain exercise A question 7a https://8fd9eafbb84fdb32c73d8e44d980d7008581d86e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTnpyeF8xQlZweHc/CH6.pdf I really can't follow the working! Thanks :smile:
Original post by economicss
Please could anyone explain exercise A question 7a https://8fd9eafbb84fdb32c73d8e44d980d7008581d86e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTnpyeF8xQlZweHc/CH6.pdf I really can't follow the working! Thanks :smile:

What's confusing you?

ddx(ln(x+1+x2)=ddx(x+1+x2)x+1+x2=1+2x2x1+x2x+1+x2\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\ln (x + \sqrt{1+x^2}) = \frac{\frac{d}{d}x(x + \sqrt{1+x^2})}{x + \sqrt{1+x^2}} = \frac{1 + \frac{2x}{2x\sqrt{1+x^2}}}{x + \sqrt{1+x^2}}

Simplify that down to 11+x2\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} yourself.

Then f(x)=11+x2    1+x2f(x)=1f'(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} \iff \sqrt{1+x^2}f'(x) = 1
Original post by Zacken
What's confusing you?

ddx(ln(x+1+x2)=ddx(x+1+x2)x+1+x2=1+2x2x1+x2x+1+x2\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\ln (x + \sqrt{1+x^2}) = \frac{\frac{d}{d}x(x + \sqrt{1+x^2})}{x + \sqrt{1+x^2}} = \frac{1 + \frac{2x}{2x\sqrt{1+x^2}}}{x + \sqrt{1+x^2}}

Simplify that down to 11+x2\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} yourself.

Then f(x)=11+x2    1+x2f(x)=1f'(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} \iff \sqrt{1+x^2}f'(x) = 1

Thanks, I think it's the differential of root (1+x squared) that I'm getting wrong, please could you explain how you do it? I got x(1+x squared)^-0.5, as the differential for it :/ thank you :smile:
Thanks, I think it's the differential of root (1+x squared) that I'm getting wrong, please could you explain how you do it? I got x(1+x squared)^-0.5, as the differential for it :/ thank you :smile:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(\sqrt{1+x^2}) &= \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}((1+x^2)^{1/2}) \\&= 2x \cdot \frac{1}{2} \cdot (1+x^2)^{-1/2} \\&= \frac{2x}{2\sqrt{1+x^2}} \\&= \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} \end{align*}

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(\sqrt{1+x^2}) &= \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}((1+x^2)^{1/2}) \\&= 2x \cdot \frac{1}{2} \cdot (1+x^2)^{-1/2} \\&= \frac{2x}{2\sqrt{1+x^2}} \\&= \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} \end{align*}

Thanks, understand that now, how does the expression simplify down please as I have 1+ x/root( 1+x^2) divided by x+root(1+x^2) but I can't seem to simplify it. Thanks :smile:
Thanks, understand that now, how does the expression simplify down please as I have 1+ x/root( 1+x^2) divided by x+root(1+x^2) but I can't seem to simplify it. Thanks :smile:

Common denominators on the numerator.

See if any of this makes sense to you. It can be hard to see what to do, but if the result is given, you can try and 'force it'.
Capture.PNG
Oops, didn't realize Zacken was online...
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys, need a little help with a method of differences question if that's okay. The partial fractions gives three terms and I wrote down the expansion (I did this correctly as I checked it against the mark scheme), however I saw no pattern in cancelling out the terms. What is the protocol for going about this when there are three terms instead of 2?

I have linked the mark scheme's expansion. fp2 capture.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alby1234
Hi guys, need a little help with a method of differences question if that's okay. The partial fractions gives three terms and I wrote down the expansion (I did this correctly as I checked it against the mark scheme), however I saw no pattern in cancelling out the terms. What is the protocol for going about this when there are three terms instead of 2?

I have linked the mark scheme's expansion.

Popular question, this one.

Sum along the diagonals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
See if any of this makes sense to you. It can be hard to see what to do, but if the result is given, you can try and 'force it'.
Capture.PNGThank you :smile: and thanks @Zacken
Oops, didn't realize Zacken was online...

Thank you, and thanks @Zacken

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending