The Student Room Group

No Motivation For Exams - HELP?!?!

Hi Guys

So my A levels begin in 3 weeks from monday and i have currently done little to no revision.

I am completely drained and literally have no motivation, i keep saying i will start tomorrow and it keeps going on.

I am beyond stressed and im not really helping myself. Someone please help motivate me to revise im literally so angry with myself but i am doing nothing about it.

I have an A*AA offer to meet and at this rate i will be going no where.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by VeniViva
Hi Guys

So my A levels begin in 3 weeks from monday and i have currently done little to no revision.

I am completely drained and literally have no motivation, i keep saying i will start tomorrow and it keeps going on.

I am beyond stressed and im not really helping myself. Someone please help motivate me to revise im literally so angry with myself but i am doing nothing about it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

What subjects and what grade are you currently at?
YOU CAN DO IT put your mind to it and you'll succeed. You're drained now but don't worry think of your end goal. You want to go to university right? You want to get a degree and get an amazing job and you'll probably be pretty impressed with all the work you've put in and it will all be worth it. Honestly you have the summer to relax, I believe you can do it and I'm sure everyone else does too! :smile:
Tomorrow is too late start today!

If you're too drained all the time, don't revise for like 12 hours a day, Just revise like 6 hours or even 3 hours after school everyday. Remember to remember your end goal and the feeling of seeing those A/A* Grades at the end of it!:smile:
you can achieve whatever you want do not feel down about it exams are the pain in the ass we're all stressing but believe in yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
What subjects and what grade are you currently at?

Got 4 As at AS level - Doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Economics pretty much think ive done fcked up

Original post by pinkrox22310
If you're too drained all the time, don't revise for like 12 hours a day, Just revise like 6 hours or even 3 hours after school everyday. Remember to remember your end goal and the feeling of seeing those A/A* Grades at the end of it!:smile:
you can achieve whatever you want do not feel down about it exams are the pain in the ass we're all stressing but believe in yourself.

If only hahaha!! thanks for your speech it did help me look at a textbook. Its just too much stress i know i should be motivated because otherwise i will have wasted a year but i think i need to just reflect over the weekend and just write out a timetable.

Btw are you doing your a levels aswell?
Got 4 As at AS level - Doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Economics pretty much think ive done fcked up

If only hahaha!! thanks for your speech it did help me look at a textbook. Its just too much stress i know i should be motivated because otherwise i will have wasted a year but i think i need to just reflect over the weekend and just write out a timetable.

Btw are you doing your a levels aswell?

No I'm doing my GSCES this year LOL :smile:

Thats what got me motivated when i wrote out a revision timetable. Don't worry, You can do it.
Also whens your first exam?
I am completely drained and literally have no motivation

Have you been getting decent sleep? I had a similar sort of problem but I've found it's more or less began to sort it itself out now that I've started to fix my sleep schedule to less something less ridiculous.

If it's unrelated to that then I guess I'll need to come up with something else....
Motivate yourself through your hobbies, interests and your futureee :smile: especially on the subjects you really enjoyyyy
Reply 7
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Have you been getting decent sleep? I had a similar sort of problem but I've found it's more or less began to sort it itself out now that I've started to fix my sleep schedule to less something less ridiculous.

If it's unrelated to that then I guess I'll need to come up with something else....

I do sleep about 6 hours minimum thats an absolute minimum on most days i get about 7/8 hours however more recently i just cant get up when my alarm goes on. Before i would be up straight away now its a struggle and takes about 30 minutes.

Im not sure if this is the issue - I just dont know :frown:
I do sleep about 6 hours minimum thats an absolute minimum on most days i get about 7/8 hours however more recently i just cant get up when my alarm goes on. Before i would be up straight away now its a struggle and takes about 30 minutes.

Im not sure if this is the issue - I just dont know :frown:

Perhaps try and ensure that you're definitely getting at least 8, as that seems to be what's been giving me the energy I need in order to actually feel like doing something.
Reply 9
No I'm doing my GSCES this year LOL :smile:

Thats what got me motivated when i wrote out a revision timetable. Don't worry, You can do it.
Also whens your first exam?

How many exams do you have?

I am going to try and make on tonight and stick to it, hopefully i can manage to cram it all in now.

My first one is on the 14th of June (i think or then or there abouts) my exam timetable is somewhere lol
Reply 10
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Perhaps try and ensure that you're definitely getting at least 8, as that seems to be what's been giving me the energy I need in order to actually feel like doing something.

Thanks! I am going to try and sleep in tommorow and ensure i am caught up. I usually go gym in the morning and that drains me. Maybe that might be a reason?
How many exams do you have?

I am going to try and make on tonight and stick to it, hopefully i can manage to cram it all in now.

My first one is on the 14th of June (i think or then or there abouts) my exam timetable is somewhere lol

18 exams and I've revised for 2 so far LOL

Don't worry, I'm cramming it all atm too my first exam is on Monday.
Good luck tho don't stress u have time x
Thanks! I am going to try and sleep in tommorow and ensure i am caught up. I usually go gym in the morning and that drains me. Maybe that might be a reason?

I would've thought that some physical exercise would probably be helpful what with the endorphins and such like, and the stuff my school teachers spout at people to be encouraging and "helpful" seems to agree with that idea. But then I guess if you push yourself really hard the drain on the energy could outweigh the mental benefits.
Hi Guys

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Break it up into little bits. There's a ludicrous amount of work in A levels and it's easy to get overwhelmed when you think about it all at once. Pick a topic from any of your subjects and decide that that's what you're going to learn today, and forget about everything else until tomorrow.

Motivation won't always be there. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do stuff you hate doing. Understanding this helps me - you're not going to get a sudden rush of motivation no matter what you do. It's entirely up to you to start working, and if you don't do it you just don't do it.

Pick a topic, close TSR and start working on it right now. It gets easier once you get into it, but do it right now, don't put it off, because motivation isn't going to come to you later. You need to start now.
Hi Guys

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you done any revision throughout the year?
Reply 15
18 exams and I've revised for 2 so far LOL

Don't worry, I'm cramming it all atm too my first exam is on Monday.
Good luck tho don't stress u have time x

Goodluck to you too! I really hope you get the grades you need x

Original post by DeadEnd_96
Have you done any revision throughout the year?

Not really, apart from lesson and a few notes here and there in frees
Reply 16
Original post by JordanL_
Break it up into little bits. There's a ludicrous amount of work in A levels and it's easy to get overwhelmed when you think about it all at once. Pick a topic from any of your subjects and decide that that's what you're going to learn today, and forget about everything else until tomorrow.

Motivation won't always be there. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do stuff you hate doing. Understanding this helps me - you're not going to get a sudden rush of motivation no matter what you do. It's entirely up to you to start working, and if you don't do it you just don't do it.

Pick a topic, close TSR and start working on it right now. It gets easier once you get into it, but do it right now, don't put it off, because motivation isn't going to come to you later. You need to start now.

Its much harder when you really cba, but i know i need to suck it up otherwise i will be retaking it and it will be the same. Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it.
Hi Guys

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly, you are going to have to work like a dog for the next month if you want A*AA.

START PAST PAPERS NOW!!! For the 1st week or so do past papers with a textbook and your notes in order for you to familiarise yourself with the style of the questions. Then for the next 2 weeks try and do past papers without your notes. For Biology and Chemistry, if you make a mistake in your past papers write it in a notebook. After doing an abundance of past papers you should have a bank full exam mistakes to learn from. Also for Biology and Chemistry, only make notes for topics that you are struggling with. For the easier topics just read through them over and over again.

For Maths just do non-stop past papers (Normal papers, Solomon papers, Gold papers etc. Just literally do anything you can find. For the the topics you are struggling with, do questions for those topics from the textbook. If you are good at a topic, don't waste your time doing topic questions for those. Focus on the stuff you find hard.

Finally, get the specification and the examiner's reports because they literally tell you what to revise for and where students went wrong.

This is all the advice I can give you. Just hang in there. It will all be over very soon, so work your arse off for the next few weeks and make every second count. I am sure you don't want that feeling of regret on results day do you? Anyways, good luck! Watching Motivational videos on Youtube often gets my adrenaline running so I would advise you to watch a few of Motivational videos before you start your intense revision. :smile:

[video="youtube;vVJJj9hshCM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJJj9hshCM[/video]
You ahve an offer. Do or do not. You dont have time to be demotivated. Otherwise thing about how you will feel in and when you leave the exam when you realised you could have known more. think how it feels on results day. If you cant motivate yourself now, then you cnat want it enough or at all.
Original post by JordanL_

This is the most useful thing I've read all day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending